Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Market watch

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:59 am

If it seems too good to be true - It usually is!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 am

There is apparently a shortage of used cars and especially open tops - add to that the comparative low numbers of 35is cars in total and all add to the price levels

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:21 am

Papa_Zee wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:57 am Ok, this is just getting silly now.
The bottom one seems to be a private sale too. Jumping on the bandwagon, maybe?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:30 am

How much cheaper should a private sale be ?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:52 am

ronk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:30 am How much cheaper should a private sale be
I don't know, but would expect at least 5-10%. I suppose it all depends on the trade prices and cars being compared to as well as what other things you get for paying a premium to a dealer, like warranty IMO.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:06 am

I’ve kept the BMW warranty going so that takes one thing out of the equation - I suppose supply and demand also comes into play?

I wonder why my low miles/single owner/ full spec / warranty car would sell under retail? - if it was a older car with potential or hidden problems I think a private sale would be a risk.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:34 am

ronk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:06 am I’ve kept the BMW warranty going so that takes one thing out of the equation - I suppose supply and demand also comes into play?

I wonder why my low miles/single owner/ full spec / warranty car would sell under retail? - if it was a older car with potential or hidden problems I think a private sale would be a risk.
Your car, Ron is possibly an exception to the general rule, as it is one of those rare commodities; a single owner, warranted, low mileage desirable car owned by an enthusiast. It doesn't come much better.
However, you can't offer part exchange, you can't give the purchaser a range of finance and many people just don't like the perceived risk of buying privately.
Personally I think it is all about how one markets vehicles. If you can convince prospective purchasers that your car is worth the money then it will sell for (very) good money. Just my opinion obviously :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Yes, I’d forgotten about the trade in and finance aspects.
I was lazy when I bought this car, although I didn’t need finance it was too easy tö trade in the 3.0l E89 and the Discovery- two folk got a cracker of a car each and it was an easy process- the dealer made some decent profit.

I tried to get the history file to the new owner but the dealer would’nt help. Perhaps they wanted to keep their mark up a secret?

I think ultimately, my will sell from this platform- we are all very open when / if we have any issues with our cars and we openly ask questions - ergo the history is more transparent.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:45 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:06 pm Yes, I’d forgotten about the trade in and finance aspects.
I was lazy when I bought this car, although I didn’t need finance it was too easy tö trade in the 3.0l E89 and the Discovery- two folk got a cracker of a car each and it was an easy process- the dealer made some decent profit.

I tried to get the history file to the new owner but the dealer would’nt help. Perhaps they wanted to keep their mark up a secret?

I think ultimately, my will sell from this platform- we are all very open when / if we have any issues with our cars and we openly ask questions - ergo the history is more transparent.
Ron, I’d expect yours to be £1-£1.5k under a dealer price. You’re able to offer a warranty better than some 2nd hand traders with 3rd party warranties. What would have a factor in yours would be how long of that year’s policy was remaining to run. If it was 2 months work into your ad that you’ve reduced the price by £400 to allow for warranty replacement in 2 months etc.

Re the trade in that may be a small issue but IMO, finance not so much. Dealers are running 9.9%+ on used cars, you can get personal finance 3% up just now.

As Pondrew, has said yours is quite a unique car with its history, ownership, mileage etc so will sell well and very likely to someone stepping up to a very good, late 35iS and taking the opportunity to get into something that’s rarely available. The last one I remember, and wished I’d bought, was Papa Zee’s VO. It falls into the same category as yours. I can’t remember one that falls into that category since.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 pm

Nice low mileage one but reflected in the price, but not excessively IMO.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... nce&page=1

Also quite relevant to ronk, question as similar car but his is lower mileage, better spec’d and 6 years newer

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

ronk
      Lifer
      Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 pm Nice low mileage one but reflected in the price, but not excessively IMO.

Also quite relevant to ronk, question as similar car but his is lower mileage, better spec’d and 6 years newer
      And nobody else has owned it nor used in the Winter

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:29 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 pm Nice low mileage one but reflected in the price, but not excessively IMO.

And nobody else has owned it nor used in the Winter
      All plus points for the next owner of yours Ron :thumbsup: . As said earlier, a unique opportunity for someone to own something that won’t present on the market very often.

Pondrew
        Lifer
        Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:46 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm And nobody else has owned it nor used in the Winter
        Exactly why using the "owner's club member and enthusiast" card could be important if you were to sell anywhere other than here. To me that gives people the extra confidence that you and the car are the genuine article.
        Anyway Ron, you don't want one of them G29s, they're getting as common as muck :-D

F31 320i. Good car.
        E89 20i Now fully dried
        Mazda3 sold

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:59 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:46 pm Anyway Ron, you don't want one of them G29s, they're getting as common as muck
        I know, I’m thinking about selling mine…………… when I get it :tumbleweed: :rofl:

Pondrew
          Lifer
          Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:59 pm I know, I’m thinking about selling mine…………… when I get it
          I reckon you are really a car dealer, just posing as a petrolhead :P :poke:

F31 320i. Good car.
          E89 20i Now fully dried
          Mazda3 sold