Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Market watch

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
boyabouttown

E89 Market watch

Post by boyabouttown » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:06 pm

So, for anyone whose interested, i bought the car being discussed a few pages back, the one with the dodgy idrive, wonky holes and no reflectors. I wan't on the forum when i bought the car, so obviously never saw the comments about it. Anyway, the owner told me before i went to view about the dummy idrive controller, he didn't like the empty cubby hole so he put the dummy in. Not sure about the wonky holes but there is a wind deflector fitted, don't know if original or aftermarket. I never even noticed about reflectors, are they just stick on bits. White bits in engine bay, don't even know how to release bonnet, and nothing would have registered if i had seen the white bits, skipped the photo on add of the engine, as i know next to f all about engines. I'm pretty mad that he didn't point out i would be a laughing stock with the whippy aerial though.
Overall, pretty pleased with the car and how it drives and sounds

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:29 pm

I would take the iDrive controller out - nothing wrong with the cubby there, most e89s have that anyway.

Holes are strange but if a wind deflector is fitted then not noticeable, OEM one is mesh but others are available in perspex.

Reflectors can only be stick on if you cant see any holes in the bumper - on eBay around £20 a side
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

boyabouttown

E89 Market watch

Post by boyabouttown » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:38 pm

Thank you

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:20 pm

boyabouttown wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:06 pm I'm pretty mad that he didn't point out i would be a laughing stock with the whippy aerial though.
Whippy versus stubby is just an "in joke" on here. It's about 50-50 for both. You won't be a laughing stock matey, that's reserved for me. :D

Also don't worry about the comments made about the car you bought, we will bitch about anything on this thread; it's just banter. None of us has actually seen the car, so none of it matters anyway. As long as you are happy, that is all that counts.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Zed Baron

E89 Market watch

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:30 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:20 pm Whippy versus stubby is just an "in joke" on here. It's about 50-50 for both. You won't be a laughing stock matey, that's reserved for me. :D
Every organisation needs a 'whipping or in this case a whippy boy' :rofl:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:58 pm

boyabouttown wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:06 pm So, for anyone whose interested, i bought the car being discussed a few pages back, the one with the dodgy idrive, wonky holes and no reflectors. I wan't on the forum when i bought the car, so obviously never saw the comments about it. Anyway, the owner told me before i went to view about the dummy idrive controller, he didn't like the empty cubby hole so he put the dummy in. Not sure about the wonky holes but there is a wind deflector fitted, don't know if original or aftermarket. I never even noticed about reflectors, are they just stick on bits. White bits in engine bay, don't even know how to release bonnet, and nothing would have registered if i had seen the white bits, skipped the photo on add of the engine, as i know next to f all about engines. I'm pretty mad that he didn't point out i would be a laughing stock with the whippy aerial though.
Firstly hello and welcome :thumbsup:

Secondly you’ll quickly realise that we’re a bunch of cutting, opinionated @rses on here but generally a decent bunch, well apart from Pondrew, as he’s already shared himself.

Your new car was originally commented on because of the price, and it’s subsequent hefty drop, and when being looked at the other things were picked up,and commented on.

It was me who commented on the white dust and wonkey holes :oops:

As previously mentioned I can’t understand the awful looking false iDrive controller, but an easy fix, bin it and use the cubby hole. Reflectors are an MOT fail so either a breakers or price new ones. The wonky holes, as I previously said, I’m not sure because of the OE wind deflector. Is the actual mesh middle piece there? Have had a further thought that it might be a badly fitted mount for a rear dash cam?’ You have a couple of options here. Flush rubber grommets with a wee bit if mastic to hold them down or again a breakers and see if you can get a replacement rear deck. Don’t know how much would be involved in fitting this though. The white dust, a cleaning agent, a soft brush and a water spray should sort that for you.

The main thing is YOU like the car, how it sounds, how it looks and how it drives so get out and enjoy it :driving:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:20 pm
    boyabouttown wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:06 pm I'm pretty mad that he didn't point out i would be a laughing stock with the whippy aerial though.
    Whippy versus stubby is just an "in joke" on here. It's about 50-50 for both. You won't be a laughing stock matey, that's reserved for me. :D

Also don't worry about the comments made about the car you bought, we will bitch about anything on this thread; it's just banter. None of us has actually seen the car, so none of it matters anyway. As long as you are happy, that is all that counts.
    Well said sir - I am sure people would point out crap on mine if I put some images up and tried it flog at insane prices.

I posted the original ad based on the £13k asking price and strange iDrive controller - liked the colour for certain, still do so just drive it and enjoy it like the majority of us do on here.

Just take a look at the e89 Alpina mentioned on here in the market thread - that bid up to nearly £10K on a cat N (I think), they never made an Alpina e89 so someone just added a few bits of plastic and a badge.
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

tiglon

E89 Market watch

Post by tiglon » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:04 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:17 pm Just take a look at the e89 Alpina mentioned on here in the market thread - that bid up to nearly £10K on a cat N (I think), they never made an Alpina e89 so someone just added a few bits of plastic and a badge.
    Am I the only one who's considered doing an Alpina "tribute" e89? :rofl:
    2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm

tiglon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:04 pm Am I the only one who's considered doing an Alpina "tribute" e89?
    I hope so :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

boyabouttown

E89 Market watch

Post by boyabouttown » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:35 pm

Do new reflectors just clip into the gaping hole.

tiglon

E89 Market watch

Post by tiglon » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm
      tiglon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:04 pm Am I the only one who's considered doing an Alpina "tribute" e89?
      Ah come on, you can't tell me an e89 with a set of Alpina wheels & badges, more forgiving yet still firm suspension and the 400ish bhp of the N54 engine from a B3 wouldn't appeal! It's already a biturbo so it's halfway there...

It's that or some Lambo badges to match the seat stripes :poke:
      2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:06 pm

tiglon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:51 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm
      Ah come on, you can't tell me an e89 with a set of Alpina wheels & badges, more forgiving yet still firm suspension and the 400ish bhp of the N54 engine from a B3 wouldn't appeal! It's already a biturbo so it's halfway there...

It's that or some Lambo badges to match the seat stripes :poke:
      I have to say Will on a personal note I couldn’t think of anything worse than Alpina wheels. The thought of having to clean them is :headbang: The 400 bhp is a bit more appealing though :thumbsup:

Lamborghini badges are fine, as long as they’re on a Lamborghini or your car and not mine :lol:

Ole gits rule
        Lifer
        Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:07 pm

tiglon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:04 pm
        Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:17 pm Just take a look at the e89 Alpina mentioned on here in the market thread - that bid up to nearly £10K on a cat N (I think), they never made an Alpina e89 so someone just added a few bits of plastic and a badge.
        Am I the only one who's considered doing an Alpina "tribute" e89? :rofl:
        You will ruin that car, maybe you should think about giving into me for safe keeping :rofl:

Ole gits rule
        Lifer
        Lifer

E89 Market watch

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:08 pm

boyabouttown wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:35 pm Do new reflectors just clip into the gaping hole.
        Just looked on eBay and there appears to be a piece which will slide in on one side and then a push fit on the other so they will just clip in from what I can see. :thumbsup:
        Last edited by Ole gits rule on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boyabouttown

E89 Market watch

Post by boyabouttown » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:02 pm

Thats what i thought when i saw them, hoping someone might have had theirs in or out before.