Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Detroit Z4 pics - nice!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ay8306

Re: Detroit Z4 pics - nice!

Post by ay8306 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Based on the spy shots, I thought I would end up hating the looks of this car, particualrily the hood. But seeing the finished product I have to admit that it has grown on me much faster than I thought it would. In fact, I really like the hood line comming down over the fenders right to the weel arch. :thumbsup: I have mixed feelings about the tin top. I really enjoy the classic roadster look (and experience) of my 'ragtop' Z4, but I could also appreciate the improved side/rear visibility that the tin top offers.

The interior is different story though. I still think that the retro style knobs and controls look like they came off on 1960's kitchen stove! :thumbsdown:

Bottom line - the changes are not compelling enough to make me want to go out and trade in my current ride right now, but in 3-4 years when I am likely to be ready to replace my '06, then this car will definately be on my short list.
2006 Z4 3.0si Sapphire Black/Dream Red

GP20

Post by GP20 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 am

So the storage bin in front of the gear lever is simply a hole? There's no door to cover it?
'08 BMW Z4///MC 18" & 19" BBS RGR's|Michelin PSS'|TCK DA's 450/500|OEM CF spoiler|Aero side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
'06 BMW Z4///MR (sold)
'04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
'03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:55 pm

GP20, there is if you select the smoking pack, which gives you the cover just like the current model.

Ciro

Post by Ciro » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:16 am

Its nice, very nice. But something is missing that caught my eye immediately with the current M coupe.

current M is probably the closest thing BMW will ever come to making a 'muscle car' or a pure driving car.
i liken it to a 63 vette, ferrari 250 gt berlinetta. It was kept real.

buy another

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:38 pm

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but what is that gaping hole on the side next to the radio? A/C vent?

I know that the lower one is a mount for the "Cupholder", and to me, detracts from the smooth lines of the center console.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:10 am

ovrkll wrote:Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but what is that gaping hole on the side next to the radio? A/C vent?

I know that the lower one is a mount for the "Cupholder", and to me, detracts from the smooth lines of the center console.
looks like a vent for the 15" subwoofer hiding inside the dash...
Go Topless

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 am

ovrkll wrote:Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but what is that gaping hole on the side next to the radio? A/C vent?

Maybe it's a mount for the optional purse holder :o

... well... this new Zed WAS designed by a woman. :roll:
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

adambmw

Post by adambmw » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:29 pm

As meantioned before the placement of the Z4 badge on the rear looks terrible!!!

patrice03

Post by patrice03 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:14 pm

GP20 wrote:So the storage bin in front of the gear lever is simply a hole? There's no door to cover it?
as a free option you can get an ashtray there (with "door" to cover it)

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:Have you noticed at all how prior / current 3er owners love the car to bits while us current Z4 owners are on the fence or mildly dislike the look of the front end?
I like the new front end....

The rear is a little feminine but I think it's because these are quite plain jane models / colours. It looks better in black, but I would probably want more of a sporty look...the M model when it finally turns up would probably do it for me. The interior is light years ahead of ours