Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The new Z4 is here...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Dreamer

Re: The new Z4 is here...

Post by Dreamer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:57 am

What i really hope is that if/when the Top Gear team get their hands on this they compare it round the track to the old model. Like they did with the Civic type R.

All that weight and creature comforts may have taken its toll on lap times....
///M Interlagos. Champagne leather

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:23 am

The more I look at the pics, the more I am starting to like it. It is a different type of car to the one I have though. More sports cruiser.

I'll be keeping my Z4 for a while longer yet mind (I'll loose too much money if I trade next year!) so I will be just window shopping in 2009. :)
I think many people will be doing the same next year so I look forward to some good second hand dealer cars in 2010 (if my BMW dealer is still there then! Been hearing some rumours!).
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Waiting to see the car in person myself. Still a little niggled about the front scoops, would prefer them body color of black. Minor nitpicking! :lol:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

lotusdmc

Post by lotusdmc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 pm

JonnyI wrote:I had really fun time reading how new Z4 isn't nice as old one :D I understand you, years ago I had Audi TT tunned by ABT which I really liked, but then when I saw first pictures of Mk2 I didn't want to like it, despite it looked much better... Later, I accept that my car is dated and I have sold it. It was hard for me to accept and now you are in same situation...
Couldn't agree more, I love my Z4 Coupe but as soon as I saw the new pics I felt my was dated, it appears sharper and a similar progression as the TT change from M1 to Mk2 I also just like shiney new stuff :D , however my coupe lease is up in March 2010 so Ideal timing to get a 1 yr old s35 DCT :driving: ........as will everyone else :thumbsup: !!
Sdrive35i DCT, Deep Sea Blue, Nav, Pure White interior, Comfort access, 294 Alloys
Gone.....07 3.0Si Coupe Sport Auto, Saphire Black, Grey Leather, Bluetooth, Comfort Pack, Falken FR452's

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:53 pm

lotusdmc wrote:
JonnyI wrote:I had really fun time reading how new Z4 isn't nice as old one :D I understand you, years ago I had Audi TT tunned by ABT which I really liked, but then when I saw first pictures of Mk2 I didn't want to like it, despite it looked much better... Later, I accept that my car is dated and I have sold it. It was hard for me to accept and now you are in same situation...
Couldn't agree more, I love my Z4 Coupe but as soon as I saw the new pics I felt my was dated, it appears sharper and a similar progression as the TT change from M1 to Mk2 I also just like shiney new stuff :D , however my coupe lease is up in March 2010 so Ideal timing to get a 1 yr old s35 DCT :driving: ........as will everyone else :thumbsup: !!
You know, the more I am seeing pics of the new Z4 the more I'm starting to agree also!
Love my Coupe mind so it doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to sell it or that the new one bothers me too much as I think it's aimed at a slightly different market to the one I have, but in a few years .... who knows!
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:59 am

I absolutely loved the look of the new one at first glance....
the infatuation is wearing off though.
I may just keep my eye open for a deal on a lightly used M coupe.

Caddyshk

Post by Caddyshk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:14 am

inTgr8r wrote:I absolutely loved the look of the new one at first glance....
A former regular here has one coming off lease next year - In your colour too!
2006 Z4MC IB - LL93158
SS Race M, RE X Pipe, FS Headers/DFK Sec 1, OE STB, DZ CDV, AS SS, GC CoilOvers, SP FCAB, RE RTAB, VT Engine Mts, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC, RE Clutch Stop, RE Tran Mounts, LeatherZ MSB, Tekarbon Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS

pmeloche

Post by pmeloche » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:55 am

The more I see the new Z4 the more I want a 650i. :)
Patrice
2009 E90 M3 Melbourne Red on Black Novillo leather (Carbon Fibre trim)
2007 X5 4.8i Monaco Blue on Saddle Brown interior (Premium Package)

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:52 am

Caddyshk wrote:
A former regular here has one coming off lease next year - In your colour too!
...time for something different; 4 silver/grey in a row is too much for anyone.

besides, not too sure about the "lightly" used part with that one :wink:

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:21 am

Go red. You know you want to, inTgr8r!
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

lotusdmc

Post by lotusdmc » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:32 am

Breaker wrote: You know, the more I am seeing pics of the new Z4 the more I'm starting to agree also!
Love my Coupe mind so it doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to sell it or that the new one bothers me too much as I think it's aimed at a slightly different market to the one I have, but in a few years .... who knows!
I'm sure the exact same discussions were had on z3-forum many years ago when the z4 came out and the die hards said it was not true the spirit of the current model :fuelfire: , the only exception this time is they have not changed the name :D . Unfortunatly we all grow a bit older and like the comfort bits added to a car as we mature with the model !, just look how the 3 & 5 series have evolved to effectively move up a car size over the last 20 years and even how the MX5 has fattened up :wink:
Sdrive35i DCT, Deep Sea Blue, Nav, Pure White interior, Comfort access, 294 Alloys
Gone.....07 3.0Si Coupe Sport Auto, Saphire Black, Grey Leather, Bluetooth, Comfort Pack, Falken FR452's

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:15 pm

takedown8 wrote:Go red. You know you want to, inTgr8r!
On an M coupe? yeah, I'd consider it.
AW would be right up there as well.

TxMike

Post by TxMike » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Same here. Some of the look is starting to seem a bit odd to me. The front grill does look awfully big, especially in the silver color, although darkening it does help some. And the rear has some oddness around the bottom, like the design was not quite thought out all the way. Also, I'm not wild about the look of the roof when it's up...just seems too round, too much "SLK". :|

But there are still some gorgeous lines on the car. I do like the smoothed out "non-slashed" sides. The way the big "bangle-slash" with the big side roundels was done, was always a weak point of the old design in my eyes. I would have been quite happy if they'd just dropped that element, and left the rest the same. :D
GreetingZ from Fort Worth TexaZ!
2003 Sterling 3.0i Sport

BombayDuk

Post by BombayDuk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:01 pm

TxMike wrote:
Same here. Some of the look is starting to seem a bit odd to me. The front grill does look awfully big, especially in the silver color, although darkening it does help some. And the rear has some oddness around the bottom, like the design was not quite thought out all the way. Also, I'm not wild about the look of the roof when it's up...just seems too round, too much "SLK". :|

But there are still some gorgeous lines on the car. I do like the smoothed out "non-slashed" sides. The way the big "bangle-slash" with the big side roundels was done, was always a weak point of the old design in my eyes. I would have been quite happy if they'd just dropped that element, and left the rest the same. :D
Very similiar in thoughts; from the first look, I thought there were many small improvements and only a few minor things wrong. This is the same way I thought about the Z4 when it first came out; it's not a Z3, but there are both good and not so good points about it.

Anything I can say about the new design would be mostly positive; I was never high on the Bangle slash either and the new model has removed that. Both the front end and the rear are neither better nor worse than the 2003 Z4 I have. I like the center brake light mounted in the trunk, but like my tail lights better. Not sure why the new front end air intakes on either side do not match the car color; looks odd. They could certainly do away with the S Drive badge; it just takes away from the looks for no reason. Keeping with the classical roadster look, long bonnet and seat close to the back tires is definitely good.

From the inside viewpoint, I have to wonder why they have a handle to close the door, very similiar to the existing one, on the passenger side, but none on the drivers side; again, it looks odd. The I drive dial and buttons on the center concole are always negatively amusing and, from loaners, a pain to use. Wonder what the console looks like on a manual.

One aspect I thought they could improve upon was interior storage and take a lesson from Porsche; have some nice door pockets and center storage besides the center rear, which I don't know if that is still on the new model.

The new hard top looks very SLK or Lexus SC ish; good for a hard drop top, but not as good as the soft top. Still, if it doesn't take up too much room in the trunk, I could get along with it, but the current trunk size is just a bit small for getting two nice suit cases in, yet the Boxter fits them fine.

If the bottom line Z4 has taken a jump to about $45k, that is a serious jump; my 2003 3.0 was like $42k base while the 2.5 was like $34k. A $13k jump is more like an entirely different vehicle line and, unfortunately, maybe getting out of the price range that I wish to be in. If it takes $60k to get the non M Z4 with a few features, they have exceeded the range I was looking for.

epbrown

Post by epbrown » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:50 pm

inTgr8r wrote:
takedown8 wrote:Go red. You know you want to, inTgr8r!
On an M coupe? yeah, I'd consider it.
AW would be right up there as well.
You've heard Roman is selling his, right?
Z4 M Coupe Production, 2006-2008
Coupes, Worldwide: 4,275, North America: 1,815.