Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Fri May 12, 2017 10:12 am

The part you purchased is correct, however it doesn't have the slip ring/clock spring which is why it looks different, you 'may' be able to use the slip ring from your old switch unit, but I'm not 100% sure?

EDIT: You should be OK to use your existing slip ring, RealOEM.com lists only two different slip rings for the E89, and the only difference between the two is whether you have a steering wheel heater or not
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickj1972/albums

Zikim

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Zikim » Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 am

Tumnus wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:12 am The part you purchased is correct, however it doesn't have the slip ring/clock spring which is why it looks different, you 'may' be able to use the slip ring from your old switch unit, but I'm not 100% sure?

EDIT: You should be OK to use your existing slip ring, RealOEM.com lists only two different slip rings for the E89, and the only difference between the two is whether you have a steering wheel heater or not
Could I just remove the cruise control stalk from the one I have bought and attach it to my current stalk module (looks like 1 screw and clip in module), thus not having to remove and re-install the slip ring?

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Fri May 12, 2017 10:45 am

Zikim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 am Could I just remove the cruise control stalk from the one I have bought and attach it to my current stalk module (looks like 1 screw and clip in module), thus not having to remove and re-install the slip ring?
I don't believe that's possible on the E89, you need the whole unit.
CC retrofit, LUX 180 Angel Eyes, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, BMW Performance Grilles, LCI Indicators, Remus exhaust, SmartTOP

Zikim

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Zikim » Fri May 12, 2017 10:49 am

Tumnus wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:45 am
Zikim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 am Could I just remove the cruise control stalk from the one I have bought and attach it to my current stalk module (looks like 1 screw and clip in module), thus not having to remove and re-install the slip ring?
I don't believe that's possible on the E89, you need the whole unit.
Thank you for the clarification. So hopefully should be able just to change slip ring from my current to the new stalk (4 screws)

Thanks again

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 am

Zikim wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:49 am Thank you for the clarification. So hopefully should be able just to change slip ring from my current to the new stalk (4 screws)

Thanks again
Yes, from what I've read/understand you should be OK doing that as the slip ring is only for the steering wheel controls and the airbag connections.

Zikim

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Zikim » Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 pm

I fitted the cruise control stalks yesterday and coded this morning. DSC/ABS/TPMS lights out but cruise does not operate. When pushing forward or backward on the cruise stalk I get the cruise symbol in the middle of the dash with _ _ _ underneath and mph underneath that. This is when I am driving at 30mph+. I used $544 to code in to CAS. Any help appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0587[1].JPG
IMG_0587[1].JPG (93.28 KiB) Viewed 951 times
Last edited by Zikim on Sun May 14, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zikim

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Zikim » Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Tumnus wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 7:31 pm My cruise control is now working! :D

I set the ZDSC and KOMBI modules back to their default settings and it now works! :driving:
How did you reset the KOMBI and ZDSC modules back to their default and how did you know these were the problem?

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Zikim wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm

I set the ZDSC and KOMBI modules back to their default settings and it now works! :driving:
How did you reset the KOMBI and ZDSC modules back to their default and how did you know these were the problem?
I didn't know they were the problem, but after running diagnostics I could see the stalk was functioning correctly, it just wouldn't engage. So I figured there was either something wrong with my coding, or with the modules.

Have you updated the vehicle order (adding $544) for the CAS and NFRM modules by using the FA_WRITE command in NCSExpert?

To reset ZDSC and KOMBI modules to default you need to make sure the FSW_PSW.man file in the NCSExpert\Work directory is empty when you use the SG_CODERIEN command to code the modules.

Zikim

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Zikim » Sun May 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Tumnus wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 pm
Zikim wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm

I didn't know they were the problem, but after running diagnostics I could see the stalk was functioning correctly, it just wouldn't engage. So I figured there was either something wrong with my coding, or with the modules.

Have you updated the vehicle order (adding $544) for the CAS and NFRM modules by using the FA_WRITE command in NCSExpert?

To reset ZDSC and KOMBI modules to default you need to make sure the FSW_PSW.man file in the NCSExpert\Work directory is empty when you use the SG_CODERIEN command to code the modules.
This possible sounds like the same problem that I have, cruise control just won't engage with no faults showing for it.

I have updated the CAS & NFRM using the FA_WRITE command in NCSxpert.

How do you find the FSW_PSW.man files to check they are empty?

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Sun May 14, 2017 9:00 pm

It's in the WORK directory where NCS Expert is installed on your computer.

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Mon May 15, 2017 9:16 am

Just had a thought, if your FSW_PSW.man file is already blank then you won't have updated the ZDSC and KOMBI modules with the cruise control info, you would have just reset them to default.

It sounds like this is probably what's happening, as you are getting no cruise control errors, whereas I did get errors.

To update the ZDSC and KOMBI modules you will need to do the following:

1. Read the data from the CAS module, this displays the VIN for your car, it also updates the FSW_PSW.TRC file, you can see this by opening it with Notepad, or another text editor (it's all in German unfortunately!).

2. Next you need to make a copy of FSW_PSW.TRC file, and then rename it to FSW_PSW.MAN (this is the file NCS Expert uses to update the modules). It's normally in the 'C:\NCSEXPER\WORK' folder

3. Once you have an FSW_PSW.MAN file that contains information you can then code the ZDSC and KOMBI modules, this will then tell the modules that you have cruise control.

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Mon May 15, 2017 10:52 am

This might be helpful to those having problems with coding using NCS Expert.

http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-basic-understanding/

Zikim

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Zikim » Tue May 16, 2017 8:49 am

Tumnus wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:16 am

Once you have an FSW_PSW.MAN file that contains information you can then code the ZDSC and KOMBI modules, this will then tell the modules that you have cruise control.
I have recoded again and still have the problem of being able to push the cruise stalk and the cruise symbol comes up in the display but showing _ _ _ mph when driving.

I have looked at the .man file and it says Cruise nicht_aktiv (twice in the file) so I have changed this to active and recoded but still the same problem.
There is also a line which says that BC_DIGITAL_V nicht_aktiv should this be active?

Using INST it reads that cruise is present but inactive as shown below.
cc INST.jpg
cc INST.jpg (95.73 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Can anyone look at their .man files and see if there are any other lines relating to cruise control

Tumnus

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by Tumnus » Tue May 16, 2017 3:18 pm

The KOMBI module should have a entry called TEMPOMAT_SETZ_ANZ_DAUER, this should be set to wert_02, if yours is still set to wert_01 then something probably went wrong with your coding and you'd be better off doing it again.

Oh, and you can code the ZDSC and KOMBI with the engine running (I did research it first!), I had to as I was struggling with battery charge.

R.E92

Retrofit cruise E89 Z4

Post by R.E92 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Zikim wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 8:49 am
Tumnus wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:16 am

Once you have an FSW_PSW.MAN file that contains information you can then code the ZDSC and KOMBI modules, this will then tell the modules that you have cruise control.
I have recoded again and still have the problem of being able to push the cruise stalk and the cruise symbol comes up in the display but showing _ _ _ mph when driving.

I have looked at the .man file and it says Cruise nicht_aktiv (twice in the file) so I have changed this to active and recoded but still the same problem.
There is also a line which says that BC_DIGITAL_V nicht_aktiv should this be active?

Using INST it reads that cruise is present but inactive as shown below.
cc INST.jpg

Can anyone look at their .man files and see if there are any other lines relating to cruise control
Have you tried to do the retrofit programming using ISTA-P? I see you already have Rheingold setup so the hard part is done.