Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres on Z4

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
braingirl

Tyres on Z4

Post by braingirl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:50 pm

Apologies if it has been discussed before.

Do BMW tend to only supply one type of tyre, is it pot luck or can you specify
On order?
I have heard bad things about one type - I think bridgestone potenza?? Run flats.
Whereas Michelin, pirelli and bridgeston blizzak appear to be more liked.

Hopefully someone will know.
Z4 35is, 326M, White Design

MikeS

Re: Tyres on Z4

Post by MikeS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Welcome to the forum. I cannot answer your query directly but my impression from other forum posts is that BMW fit a variety of tyres as you have listed. Interesting question as to if you can specify and I look forward to seeing the answer. I have the Potenza's run flats on vspoke 19" wheels and have no complaints.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

All Pina

Post by All Pina » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:46 pm

I have Bridgstone Potenza RE05As fitted on the 326M wheels you will get on your 35is as standard

http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/tyres/car- ... nza-re050a

Firm as expected but no complaints for me.
The 3rd chapter in my Z4 odyssey - 35is Melbourne Red, Black Kansas, DCT, 326M 19"s.
Now the 4th chapter - SDrive20i M Sport Manual, Sapphire Black, Beige Kansas, 326Ms

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:33 pm

the E89 handles the Run Flat technology ALOT better than the E85 did.

that said on the E85 the Bridgestone's were/are shocking... Michelin's ZP on the hand are great :D (even though hardly anyone believes me...)

you could always ask your dealer for a preference - you never know...
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

braingirl

Post by braingirl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks all
Dealer says he has no say.

I'm mostly worried about wet or icy road handling.
My previous cars (Audi A3, golf gti, polo and Volvo c70) were all fantastic

My sister tells me her Jaguar Xf and old SLk were scary

My dad doesn't like driving his 3 series in anything but perfect weather.

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:51 pm

That's down to the rear wheel drive (Jag, Merc and BMW), the scariness, RWD is rubbish in icy conditions. When the winter comes chuck no some winter tyres and you'll be unstoppable! I was astonished at how good they were.

Everyone else will be getting bored of this now, but here's how good winter tyres are...
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

All Pina

Post by All Pina » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:13 am

braingirl wrote: I'm mostly worried about wet or icy road handling.
My previous cars (Audi A3, golf gti, polo and Volvo c70) were all fantastic
Out of interest, did you test drive a 35is? Any rear wheel drive car putting over 300bhp through two wheels is going to need respect in icy/monsoon conditions, even allowing for electronic Driver Aids. Whatever tyres you put on, they will be a compromise of some sort as no rubber can do everything brilliantly. If you are worried, I would seriously think if this is the right car for you, or at least get some professional handling training on a track/skid pan? Drive to enjoy, not worry :)
The 3rd chapter in my Z4 odyssey - 35is Melbourne Red, Black Kansas, DCT, 326M 19"s.
Now the 4th chapter - SDrive20i M Sport Manual, Sapphire Black, Beige Kansas, 326Ms

braingirl

Post by braingirl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:15 am

I have been on several different professional handling training courses from skid pan to high speed control. Have driven several cars with ridiculously high horsepower although a bit heavier kerb weight.
I was planning to find a specific z4 handling course. I test drove the is but it was on a gloriously sunny day!

I am worried that on some especially slushy days may mean I won't be able to use my car to get to work but the video was useful to see.