Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 35i 7 months and 8,000 miles

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
JBBY

Z4 35i 7 months and 8,000 miles

Post by JBBY » Tue May 25, 2010 12:33 am

Hi
I've had the Z now for 7 months and having completed over 8k miles I thought I would share some thoughts.
It's a real hoot, I've driven lots of cars and I can't think of one that's a more complete package than this.
I love all the usual things, power, sound, handling, hard top convertible, ride, there is nothing to dislike.

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong. The economy is amazing, and the fun factor is enormous.

What would I change?
The ability to put the roof up and down while moving up to a sensible speed
Left down and right up flappy paddles
More standard features, ie through load and wind thingy behind your head. It's just wrong to have to pay for these as options.

Things that annoy me.
Journalists who say the ride is too soft and the steering vague. It's not, it's fantastic. My last car was a current shape TT 2.0FSI - they all loved the handling of that.
Seriously, do they all copy each other when they write a review. I saw top gear last Sunday, I'd forgotten how much Jeremy said he loved the car, and he's right. The TG web site reviews I can only think have an agenda.

Would I recommend one, yes, without hesitation.

Jason
PS please don't nag me for photo's, I'm too busy driving it to clean it and take pictures that I'd be proud of. Currently the wheels are black with brake dust and the front is splattered with dead flys and the rear tyres are almost down to the legal limit. Good times!
Z4 35i

MikeS

Re: Z4 35i 7 months and 8,000 miles

Post by MikeS » Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 am

I also think the car is amazing. That said I do have 2 little niggles with it and they are:

a. The way that music on the hard drive only plays in alphabetical order, dam annoying when yo are listening to a concept album with a 'story'!
b. The fact that if the boot or bonnet are not fully closed the car does not warn you until you have sat down, put on your seat belt, started the engine and moved above 5 mph!
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue May 25, 2010 9:48 am

Yep, 12,700 miles now and loving it. New rear tyres fitted last week.

Couple of niggles done under warranty. Boot internal cover was de-laminating on the edges near the handle. New one fitted.
Think I had the fuel pump issue (car went into limp home mode on the second week of ownership). Dealer sorted it but never said what was wrong.

One thing that annoys me is the ease at which the paintwork chips and the strange way the aerodynamics cause small stones to fly over and down onto the bonnet rather than over it! :?
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 pm

MikeS wrote:a. The way that music on the hard drive only plays in alphabetical order, dam annoying when yo are listening to a concept album with a 'story'!
Mike S - I just read this on a different forum, think it might help.

"as for playing songs in alphabetical order, i believe it depends on how you access your tracks. mine play in album order. i access like this:

select : rolling stones -> exile on main street -> rocks off (first track).

at this point, the entire exile on main street album will play in album order. on a side note, the newly remastered exile has a new track called plundered my soul that is pretty damn good."

I use my iPod connection so I have no experience with the hard drive in a Sat-Nav.

Ciao.
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Wed May 26, 2010 12:06 am

Glad you're all enjoying it ! It's a lovely car IMO.

I'm starting to see a few more on the road now as well :thumbsup:

tot

Post by tot » Wed May 26, 2010 2:29 am

JBBY wrote: What would I change?
The ability to put the roof up and down while moving up to a sensible speed
If you want to fix that, SmartTOP from http://mods4cars.com/will do that.
Z4 35i DCT

JBBY

Post by JBBY » Thu May 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks tot, I'll try that.
Z4 35i