Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Autobahn Experience

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MikeS

Autobahn Experience

Post by MikeS » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:27 am

Had the dubious pleasure of going to the Christmas market in Frankfurt last week owing to my wife's desire to see some friends and buy yet more Christmas essentials. I think she was a little surprised when she first proposed going and I agreed so readily. However, I obviously had an ulterior motive as I wanted to get the new car onto the autobahn. Had to wait for the trip back to really give the car a full trial owing to poor weather on the way out and generally not feeling too well. On the return journey it was mostly dry and the car felt absolutely superb. Surprisingly quiet even at 120 plus and totally solid on the road. On one long unlimited stretch of the autobahn I decided to see how it felt at the top of the range. I reached the limiter much more smoothly and far quicker than I expected and this was without engaging sports or sports +. In fact I initially thought there was a problem when the revs dropped back! Car still felt totally solid on the road with no excessive noise or vibration and the steering felt as positive as always. Great experience with a great car. :driving:
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Autobahn Experience

Post by AlanJ » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:44 am

:thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:02 pm

MikeS wrote:Had the dubious pleasure of going to the Christmas market in Frankfurt last week owing to my wife's desire to see some friends and buy yet more Christmas essentials. I think she was a little surprised when she first proposed going and I agreed so readily. However, I obviously had an ulterior motive as I wanted to get the new car onto the autobahn. Had to wait for the trip back to really give the car a full trial owing to poor weather on the way out and generally not feeling too well. On the return journey it was mostly dry and the car felt absolutely superb. Surprisingly quiet even at 120 plus and totally solid on the road. On one long unlimited stretch of the autobahn I decided to see how it felt at the top of the range. I reached the limiter much more smoothly and far quicker than I expected and this was without engaging sports or sports +. In fact I initially thought there was a problem when the revs dropped back! Car still felt totally solid on the road with no excessive noise or vibration and the steering felt as positive as always. Great experience with a great car. :driving:
Glad you had a good trip :)

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:44 pm

My missus wouild have been crawling around in the footwell peeing herself! LOL
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:22 pm

lacroupade wrote:My missus wouild have been crawling around in the footwell peeing herself! LOL
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:12 pm

lacroupade wrote:My missus wouild have been crawling around in the footwell peeing herself! LOL
My wife was literally speachless so she could not say anything!
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

Toodeep

Post by Toodeep » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:16 am

MikeS wrote:My wife was literally speachless so she could not say anything!
This cannot be! Wives speak in many ways. Even if you cover their accusing eyes and Botox their disapproving frowns and handcuff their wildly gesturing hands they can still ignore you for a week, cook what they know you hate and invite their mother to stay a while . . . Maybe I'm being a little too candid.

Good info on the autobahn trip. How was the tyre noise?

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:41 am

What speed was registering at the limiter?
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:35 pm

First time I have heard about actually hitting the limiter. I have never managed that yet, even at 170+ on the GPS.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Breaker, The car appeared to cut back its revs ay jusdt over 155 mph on the speedo - just as advertised.