Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Long items in the trunk/boot

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Long items in the trunk/boot

Post by mcbeee » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:05 pm

I've heard tell on this site about getting a set of golf clubs into the back with the roof down. My question is: how far does the offending item stick out into the cockpit and will it interfere with driving? I had a tape measure at the dealership but the cars available had storage boxes instead of the pass through.
I do a lot of target shooting (rifles) and used to be able to slip a couple of rifles into the back of my Z3, (wrapped in blankets 'coz the cases won't fit). Now when I look at the hardtop folded down in the new Z's I cringe. I've tested a couple of the new 3.5Si's with the paddles and really love them, enough to consider losing my '05 M3 Cab for a new Z4 but that trunk really blows me away. Any comments or any pics of "golf clubs" etc to sway me the right way?

Ciao,
Mcbeee
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

MikeS

Re: Long items in the trunk/boot

Post by MikeS » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:39 am

mcbeee, Look at http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=14229 for an idea of what can be got into the boot/trunk. As to how far do the items extends into the cab - the answer is about as far as you push them up to the limit of the 'ski' bag . At full stretch I think the bag extends into the cabin by about 20 inches. I cannot offer a firm length at the moment as I cannot get to my car. I have had a golf bag with clubs pushed into the 'ski' bag as far as it will go and then driven about 400 miles and never felt that it got in the way. Theref
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

I think I will modify a broom of some sorts to equal the length of my long stuff and take it to the dealership then harass them into finding a unit with the ski bag installed. Then the question will be answered. They are used to me being there as I have bought three cars and a multitude of other goodies from them so they probably won't toss me out the door saying ... " Sorry, we already have a cleaning staff !"

I saw the photo of all the stuff in the boot of the Z, impressive. But how much fits with the top down? I drive a lot in the western USA and Canada so it's top down weather a lot of the time. (Summer only)
I'll figure it out,
Ciao
8) 8) 8)

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:14 pm

MikeS wrote:mcbeee, I cannot offer a firm length at the moment as I cannot get to my car.
Ooo-err!... :o
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:04 pm

mcbeee, The 'ski' bag is 30 inches long and with the 36 inches in the boot/trunk I would have thought it would be plenty for your rifles. Even with the roof down there would be ample room as the boot/trunk is deep.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks Mike, it sounds like it will work. I see from the description of your ride it's exactly what I've been looking to find. Only one question left....How bad is it to drive on runflats? I had regular tires on my previous Z and also on my current M3. Some of our roads are a little nasty with the ruts so if Rf's are worse I need to know. (I'm assuming you have run flats on it...)

ciao,
Michael
8) 8) 8)

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:27 am

mcbeee, As for the run flats I have read many of the threads on this forum about the 'problems' with them. However, I can't say that I have ever thought they were a problem, but maybe I would notice the difference if I changed. That said the run flats seem fine and at least if I do get a puncture they will get me home.

Davespeed3

Post by Davespeed3 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:12 pm

MikeS wrote:mcbeee, The 'ski' bag is 30 inches long and with the 36 inches in the boot/trunk I would have thought it would be plenty for your rifles. Even with the roof down there would be ample room as the boot/trunk is deep.
Indeed, one doesn't want to get caught short without one's Purdy's what!...fnar! fnar! :P

Tamman69

Post by Tamman69 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:15 am

I've got the 'ski bag' and currently use it to take a Fender Bass Guitar around town. Loads of room, I wouldn't imagine your rifles will have any problems.

As for luggage, take a look at a previous post of mine http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=13275 around half way down page 1. It shows what kind of luggage you can get in the E89 with the roof down.