Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Upgrading headunit with OEM DAB unit

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mkinternet

Post by mkinternet » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:27 pm

Hi everyone

I've managed to get a replacement headunit which includes DAB (circ. 2015) as my old unit being from 2010 does not (both are iDrive and have SatNav). Of course I want to use DAB as its much better sounding but since my car did not come with it in the first place I'm trying to workout what I need to purchase to make it work.

Looking at RealOEM I can see a DAB Antenna which sits behind the rear view mirror, (well I hope thats where it goes) part number: 65209123784. I understand there should be an Antenna on the right rear bumper too. If this is correct how do I go about linking them to the headunit? I doubt any wiring was run in my car as it was not an option until later models.

I know the new unit will need coding to the car, so again any help on this part would be appreciated too.

Many thanks

Steve
E89 - 3.0i Auto 2010
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Wiechers Front Strut Brace
19” MAK LUFT Wheels
H&R Anti Roll Bars (Front and Rear)
Royals Steering Wheel
35i Brake Upgrade
Stage 1 Remap

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:26 pm

Looks like the DAB aerials go straight into the radio..

I don’t think that part needs coding..
Attachments
IMG_2799.jpeg
IMG_2799.jpeg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 101 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:24 am

Yep, L Band antenna is next to the GPS antenna above the interior light. As you've got GPS the bracket will be there for this DAB antenna to clip into.
The Band III antenna is behind the the rear bumper on the right. The main part has a 10mm not to secure it and the you feed the antenna cable into the spare spaces on the plastic panel, which currently has the FM antenna running round it (this is visually obvious when you see it).
As for the connecting cables, there are specific ones, but I don't have the numbers, but you can use generic ones of the right length.

As for coding, you'll need to code 654 to the VO of the car. Then code this VO to the new radio. You'll also need to change the VIN in tge radio, and then you can set the various FSC's (depending on options ibstalled)
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

awt

Post by awt » Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:04 am

I just did this. I don't have the iDrive/satnav, but the basics are the same.

I only mounted the band III antenna behind the bumper, as band L is not in use where I live. Bought an antenna wire of aliexpress, and rant it along with the other cables. Quite the hassle to get it thru the rubber thing in the rear, but doable.

Quite happy with the result, and the reception is miles better than with my universal antenna.