Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight Adjustment for European Driving

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MikeS

Headlight Adjustment for European Driving

Post by MikeS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Has anyone tried to adjust the headlights from UK to European alignment? The manual mentions a small lever to be moved from posn 1 to posn 2 (or the other way around!), but I cannot see any lever.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

ChuckB

Re: Headlight Adjustment for European Driving

Post by ChuckB » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Mike: See if this is similar to what you have, other posts indicate that there is only 1 lever for the left side headlight

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f76 ... al-t23633/
Black Carbon Metalic 2007 120d Limited Ed
Black 2009 sDrive3.0

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:56 pm

ChuckB Thanks for that. I will look again when I have a chance in daylight! However, I am not sure that the picture in the handbook in this link i the same as the Z4 lights.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Don't bother, I never, ever adjust them and I never, ever get flashed abroad (in the Z ... in the X5 I get flashed in the UK and abroad).
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

JohnT

Post by JohnT » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi,
As far as I know it doesn't have this feature, well according to the amendment slip of paper you get with the vehicle handbook, so I never bothered looking for it.
When I went to Germany earlier this year I never adjusted my lights, then again it was summer.
The thing that got me was you are meant to carry spare headlight bulbs, as if you can easily change them yourself on the side of the road!
John

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:17 pm

JohnT I have not seen an amendment slip. Can you scan a copy and post it?

chetalien

Post by chetalien » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:24 pm

I had to get to the dealer to get mine changed and paid 40quid as it was last minute desparation. Strill havent changed it back though.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Sorry but not got a scanner :(
Have you got a 2010 model, mine is the 2009, maybe they have changed it? Maybe someone else could confirm the amendment. Did you have a look at yours yet?

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:44 am

JohnT - Bought mine about 2 months ago. Had another close look this morning and still cannot see it. I had this statement from a friend in the business - the cover you need to open is not the obvious one right on top of the light unit, but a secondary hatch located behind the light cluster. I have opened this hatch as well but still cannot see the adjustment. However, it is raining very heavily at the moment so looked when the car was in the garage so it was not the best light. Still seems that there is still an adjustment but the dealers are keeping it quiet!!

JohnT

Post by JohnT » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi Mike,I got a friend to scan it

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:42 pm

JohnT, Thanks for that. Interesting that my BMW friend thinks it can be adjusted and that this leaflet implies otherwise. I will have to check further.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi Mike,
Any update?

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:29 am

JohnT, Sorry no. Weather has been so bad that the car has stayed i the garage! Waitng for a clear day when I can seefully around the headlight area without using a torch!

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Had a good look in the daylight today and still cannot see an adjustment so the statement that I had from a dealer friend that -'the cover you need to open is not the obvious one right on top of the light unit, but a secondary hatch located behind the light cluster' appears to be incorrect. I will have to check with the dealer and see what they say.