Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Sat Nav system

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

New Sat Nav system

Post by Breaker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Never been a big fan of built in Sat Navs as I like my Tom Tom but my new car will have it.

Is it any good?
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Wondermike

Re: New Sat Nav system

Post by Wondermike » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:56 pm

It's much improved, the screen is massive, download music onto the hard drive.

What's not to like :thumbsup:

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 pm

The resolution of the screen is much better than the one on old Z4. I tried it in the showroom.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:14 pm

The screen is fantastic. The only downside for me is actually entering a destination. Portable units seem miles ahead in this respect, but I would choose the Sat Nav Pro again if I was buying.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

Merefield

Post by Merefield » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:01 pm

The four killer features (generally) of built in sat navs:

1. Integration with car speed sensors - continues to track accurately through tunnels and built up areas when satellite signal is lost.

2. Theft - surely much less likely to be broken into when you never have "sticker marks" and an obviously built in system so thieves know there is possibly nothing portable and sexy in the glove box.

3. Less hassle - less to carry around, deploy or dismantle

4. No "sticker arm" wobble when you hit a bump!
///Merefield

Z_Victor1

Post by Z_Victor1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Sat-Nav Pro is excellent. I also have a Tom Tom for other car, both have features that are winners.....if only they could be combined.

The big 'downer' with the BMW SatNav is you CANNOT input postcodes :headbang:
Or to put it another way, if you can, then mine's faulty!
But, the screen is far better than the TomTom and you can utilise 'split-screen' for upcoming junctions which is superb.

A feature that TomTom excels in is route planning.
If BMW could design software that you could load on a PC in order to construct specific routes then download those to the car - that would be the dog's b**l**ks.
2009 sDrive35i, DSB, CBKL, DCT, Adpt M Sus, Ext Stor, St Ht, Thru Load, PDC F/R, Nav + ICE Pro, 6-Disc DVD, USB Interface

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Z-Victor1 - You should be able to input post codes but not the full 6. Just go to the city input page and put in the post code and then choose the street. I understand that if you have connectdrive activated you should be able to plan routes on line then send them to your car. That said I have not tried this yet as I have found the installed route planning works very well.
In my opinion the real shortfalls are the lack of 'safety camera' warning - which I am sure someone will provide soon and the apparently limited compatabilty with IPODs to transfer music to the HDD.
SDRIVE35i Space Grey, 7 speed DCT, adaptive M suspension, V Spoke 19" wheels, Nav pro with HDD, Comfort access and most of the other toys!

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:31 am

Z_Victor1 wrote: If BMW could design software that you could load on a PC in order to construct specific routes then download those to the car - that would be the dog's b**l**ks.
They have, it's the BMW Connected drive, you plan it on googlemaps and then send it to the car 8) :thumbsup:
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:35 am

One thing about that iDrive controller! Where it's positioned I keep knocking it down with my arm when changing gear! I was on the phone last night and cut them off twice!! Guess I just need to get used to it!

One thing I don't like about the BMW sat nav is the woman's voice! It's a very computer sounding voice. Almost like some text to speech voice on a computer. The Tom Tom I had was much more natural sounding.
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

mphcpa

Post by mphcpa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:15 am

I just took delivery of 2010 Z4 35 which replaced the 2009 (BMW bought it back).This nav system has problems.

When I take an alternate route to my house, the nav keeps trying to send me the original way even if I am about 3000 yards away. It then tells me to make a left onto my block while the screen clearly indicates make a right. My street is one way and you must make a right. This has happened on my 2009 Z4 also but not on my 2008 335xi Coupe (the old DVD based system) and my 2007 X3 (even older version).

The nav has told me to make a right (when it indicated going straight). I followed the voice directions and it lead me in a circle back to the same street.

The Nav system sends me to Number 300 when I dialed in 400.

BMW NA claims it is Tele Atlas's fault and Tele Atlas states their maps are correct and it's BMW's software that is wrong. BMW NA tried to tell me that the Nav is not really warranted he said like the tires. I told him that where is this stated? On what page of the Owners Manual is it ( I have read it). He said I got him. He was usleess

Marty

Toodeep

Post by Toodeep » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

I'd spec the Sat Nav but the navigation part is the LEAST valuable part! The iDrive, favourite buttons, hard disk music library, voice control, dvd changer, phone with telematics, BMW Online and Connected Drive and more all depend on you having it or come as part of it. Tom Toms and their like are always going to be better as their gestation period is shorter. The sooner car manufacturers team up with these aftermarket GPS system suppliers to integrate their products the better. Car makers can design the hardware and leave the rest to those whose business it is to move with the times as far as mapping, safety camera location, traffic etc.

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:25 am

I just actually switched my sat nav mode over to the night-time display since I only ever seem to be driving the car when its dark at the moment. :(

I actually prefer the look of the maps on the built-in system compared to the look that my Garmin portable unit has, but the touch-screen Garmin is an easier interface to deal with.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

Merefield

Post by Merefield » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Toodeep wrote:I'd spec the Sat Nav but the navigation part is the LEAST valuable part! The iDrive, favourite buttons, hard disk music library, voice control, dvd changer, phone with telematics, BMW Online and Connected Drive and more all depend on you having it or come as part of it. Tom Toms and their like are always going to be better as their gestation period is shorter. The sooner car manufacturers team up with these aftermarket GPS system suppliers to integrate their products the better. Car makers can design the hardware and leave the rest to those whose business it is to move with the times as far as mapping, safety camera location, traffic etc.
I hear you. Some manufacturers (e.g. Renault) are actually doing this now, although further down market. But like you say, its more than just a Nav system. Plus its a great opportunity for BMW to make more money out of you! They keep the basic list price down then rob your wallet further if you specify the Nav and don't have to share that profit with a 3rd party!!
///Merefield

bmwtech2003

Post by bmwtech2003 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Z_Victor1 wrote:Sat-Nav Pro is excellent. I also have a Tom Tom for other car, both have features that are winners.....if only they could be combined.

But, the screen is far better than the TomTom and you can utilise 'split-screen' for upcoming junctions which is superb.

If BMW could design software that you could load on a PC in order to construct specific routes then download those to the car - that would be the dog's b**l**ks.

In the US you can e-mail routes to the car. Using GoogleMaps and the Assist package the routes are e-mailed to the car. You have to have a certain Assist subscription package for this to happen.

Merefield

Post by Merefield » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:05 pm

bmwtech2003 wrote:
Z_Victor1 wrote:Sat-Nav Pro is excellent. I also have a Tom Tom for other car, both have features that are winners.....if only they could be combined.

In the US you can e-mail routes to the car. Using GoogleMaps and the Assist package the routes are e-mailed to the car. You have to have a certain Assist subscription package for this to happen.
Is this not available in the UK? Nice feature!

Also, here's a feature that it REALLY needs:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/08/2010 ... uchscreen/

now THAT would be cool!!!!
///Merefield