Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
BeardyJon

Battery

Post by BeardyJon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:11 am

I really need to get to the bottom of a bit of an annoyance with the battery of my 20i. It's mostly fine, but there are a couple issues that crop up every now and then.

The auto start/stop rarely, if ever, works. I've read a lot about how it should work and its subject to a lot of variables, however all being aligned, it still sometimes doesn't work. I've determined its likely that the battery isn't holding enough charge to do the stop/start properly, as if I do a 300 mile journey, it will work fine. Which also tells me the alternator is working (although how efficiently, I don't know).

The other thing is that sometimes the car doesn't start up easily. The starter motor will turn over quite slowly as if the battery is flat. Especially if it's been standing for a couple of days.

I've had the battery tested a few times all with different results:
  • I've diagnosed it with Carly, and that says its fine.
  • I bought a voltage meter (one that sticks in your cigarette lighter) and the voltage looks fine.
  • One Halfords said that it was probably at 70-75% capacity/health and would likely need replacing soon.
  • Another Halfords said the battery is good and that there's a "system noise issue" (what does that even mean?). He pointed at some switches to the side of the battery and said they might be causing the problem.
It's an original Exide battery (70AH) from factory on a 2012 car, so might be due to be changed anyway, but before I replace it (with an 80/90AH battery) I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone here might have any idea? or a way to definitively test whether the battery is good or not.
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Gwest44

Battery

Post by Gwest44 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 am

Where are you based - I have an unused battery for sale on the forum following the departure of my E89 the other month?
Last edited by Gwest44 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 7xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Battery

Post by Jembo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:35 am

A few points I’ve noticed:
- Start stop is typically disabled during the first few minutes of driving - the more inclement the weather gets, the longer it will take to kick in
- Our Volvo tells us when S/S is & is not available, Typically after SWIMBO goes shopping or visiting family locally, it hibernates for a while when I drive it
- a CTek 5.0 has a recon function that seems to restore more power for longer, might be worth investing in one or asking a friend to borrow
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Battery

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:40 am

Not sure, but I think it was Smartbear who discovered you can code the Start Stop to off.
If you're thinking of keeping the car for a long time, consider all the extra, unnecessary wear on the starter for one thing.
Personally I find it an annoying function, put there merely to shut up the greenies and to help it pass the initial model type emissions tests.
Not got round to coding, but switching it off is one of my cockpit checks every time I get in.

However, in your case I think it is pointing to the battery not being in the best of health and would look to replace it.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Battery

Post by Smartbear » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi, when you say the voltage looks fine what reading do you get after the cars sat for a couple of days?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

BeardyJon

Battery

Post by BeardyJon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:43 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 pm Hi, when you say the voltage looks fine what reading do you get after the cars sat for a couple of days?
Rob
Not too sure, I'll have to check that next time the car is left for a few days. I can't remember if it had been standing for a few days last time I checked the battery.

Curious about what the Halfords guy said about system noise though. What doest that even mean? He showed me the digital meter he used to test it and pointed towards some numbers that said there was noise. But what is that?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Battery

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:46 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:43 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 pm Hi, when you say the voltage looks fine what reading do you get after the cars sat for a couple of days?
Rob
Not too sure, I'll have to check that next time the car is left for a few days. I can't remember if it had been standing for a few days last time I checked the battery.

Curious about what the Halfords guy said about system noise though. What doest that even mean? He showed me the digital meter he used to test it and pointed towards some numbers that said there was noise. But what is that?
My guess would be that even when you think the car is switched off, there is something still drawing power.
I have noticed with mine that once I park it in the garage and lock it, there are still clunks and whirrs happening for quite a while as it gradually nods off. So I wonder whether the Halfords gadget was seeing all that stuff going on, or whether you do have some kind of parasitic drain?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Battery

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:54 pm

Did you say the battery was the original one, will the roof open off the key without the engine running, if it won't open then IMHO the battery needs to be changed

My car can sit for several weeks with no issues starting the car although it does not like opening /closing the roof off the key untilI have driven a fair few miles.

S/S is a pain anyway, SWMBO has it. on her DS and it very rarely works and has been that was since the day we picked it up brand new.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Battery

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 pm

Not directly related but the only car I had with Stop/Start was a 2007 123d.

The AGM battery didn't quite make it to 55,000 miles or 5 years, so once the new one was fitted I turned Stop/Start off every time before I drove away! But despite that the starter motor died at 77,000 miles and 6 and a half years. :o

If I ever buy another car fitted with it I'll be turning it off!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BeardyJon

Battery

Post by BeardyJon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:16 am

Gwest44 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 am Where are you based - I have an unused battery for sale on the forum following the departure of my E89 the other month?
Thanks, but I'm looking to get a higher amp rating battery than the current one, so it's not for me.

BeardyJon

Battery

Post by BeardyJon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 am

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:54 pm Did you say the battery was the original one, will the roof open off the key without the engine running, if it won't open then IMHO the battery needs to be changed

My car can sit for several weeks with no issues starting the car although it does not like opening /closing the roof off the key untilI have driven a fair few miles.

S/S is a pain anyway, SWMBO has it. on her DS and it very rarely works and has been that was since the day we picked it up brand new.
Sometimes the roof will unlatch and then refuse to open further with the engine off, and that's when I notice the battery being low. So yeah, you're probably right and the battery could do with a change. That's probably all it is. But the system noise thing really confused me.
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:46 pm My guess would be that even when you think the car is switched off, there is something still drawing power.
I have noticed with mine that once I park it in the garage and lock it, there are still clunks and whirrs happening for quite a while as it gradually nods off. So I wonder whether the Halfords gadget was seeing all that stuff going on, or whether you do have some kind of parasitic drain?
Yeah my car does the same and I've heard whirrs and clunks after the car is switched off too so maybe you're right.

Regarding upgrading the battery to an 80ah/90ah one instead of a 70ah one, does anyone have any recommendations? I wanna make sure I buy the right size and battery sizes all seem to be different and there doesn't seem to be a standard?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Battery

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:25 am

BeardyJon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:20 am Regarding upgrading the battery to an 80ah/90ah one instead of a 70ah one, does anyone have any recommendations? I wanna make sure I buy the right size and battery sizes all seem to be different and there doesn't seem to be a standard?
Not changed one on my E89 yet, but I'm pretty sure I've read that if you change like for like then you can use a simple reader to register it, but if you change the battery size then you need to code it to the car so it knows it's got a different ah one in it. Must be something to do with how it monitors and charges it.

BeardyJon

Battery

Post by BeardyJon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:51 am

Yeah the coding is fine as I've got Carly so can do all that. Just wanna make sure the battery I buy will actually fit in the car properly.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Battery

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:52 am

BeardyJon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:51 am Yeah the coding is fine as I've got Carly so can do all that.
:thumbsup:
I'll be back in my box if you need me. :D

BeardyJon

Battery

Post by BeardyJon » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:54 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:52 am
BeardyJon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:51 am Yeah the coding is fine as I've got Carly so can do all that.
:thumbsup:
I'll be back in my box if you need me. :D
Haha! I just know the "do you need to code your battery change" debate has raged for a long time on the forum so thought I'd make it clear before it sets off again :rofl: