Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical gremlin

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jasonn

Electrical gremlin

Post by Jasonn » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:41 pm

I have an annoying problem which can't be sorted with a course of antibiotics.

On sunday i had a drive across London & back (twice) and noticed that my phone wasn't charging - plugged into the arm rest accessory socket.

No current from this or the weird one in the passenger footwell so I resigned myself to the hell of the fusebox - after finally getting into the bugger, i checked fuse 8 - which, according to the hieroglyphs from BMW is the one responsible, but it was checking out OK. After losing skin refitting the bloody thing still no power (and then found the f**king tweezer things were on the floor).

Has anybody got any idea what could be the problem?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical gremlin

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:45 pm

My wife complained that her phone wouldn't charge from the socket in the arm rest. She was using Waze and it was using the charge faster than the socket put it back in. It is only a small output apparently. We now use an adaptor in the cigarette lighter socket, which gives a higher output.
So are you sure there's no power, or is it just not enough?
No idea about the passenger footwell one, as my car doesn't have that.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jasonn

Electrical gremlin

Post by Jasonn » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Ive been using the cigarette adapter for ages and its always worked, which is weird as it just stopped. The USB still charges the phone, but since I've ditched the run flats i need the ciggy adapter to power up the pump in case i have a flat

Marcoose

Electrical gremlin

Post by Marcoose » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:53 am

I hate London exactly for that reason. :rofl:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Jasonn

Electrical gremlin

Post by Jasonn » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:20 am

Just wanted to check I've deciphered it correctly - is fuse 8 (20a) the one that powers the ciggie lighter? Just seems weird that both sockets died suddenly but the fuse is OK

Jasonn

Electrical gremlin

Post by Jasonn » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Is there an inline fise hidden somewhere? I had the fusebox open again and still found those bloody tweezers on the floor again

Jasonn

Electrical gremlin

Post by Jasonn » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:25 pm

It gets more "interesting" sticking a volt meter on it with the ignition on shows an output of 2.1v (probe on centre of socket and negative on the ring around it). No burning or charring immediately visible either

Jasonn

Electrical gremlin

Post by Jasonn » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:49 pm

Solved it - I'm officially a f**kwit!

I've been scratching my head on this, gone to forums on german cars, general auto electrical sites - nothing of any help.

So today, I'm "working from home" and thought I'd pick my daughter up from college (its sunny so rhe roof was coming off) and I tried reasoning with the zed, promising to treat her to a nice full tank of shell's "go juice" as opposed to Momentum - so stopped off on the way and filled up. Got there earlier than expected so went through everything again (fuses, adaptor taken apart, spare adaptor checked, multi tested it, trying different eathing points, nada, nothing, zip) i even used a fair bit of switch cleaner.

So I decide to get a coffee and sausage roll whilst I'm waiting then start the engine and put the roof on before going to collect her, then I have a lightbulb moment - I've been testing everything with my meter with the ignition on, but not with the engine running - started the car, nice healthy current from both sockets but nothing from the adapters, tried the electric tyre pump - worked perfectly. Looks like the adapter had died and the one I'd picked up from a local shop didn't work either - new adaptor and its all good :oops:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical gremlin

Post by flybobbie » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 pm

I have been through 3 car chargers. Each failed on second use. I assumed the contacts in the lead get bent after first use.
Eventually i used one recommended, thimble shaped and works perfect.