Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My 20i Remap experience @ Performance Torque

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Hey guys!

Got my E89 20i remapped by Will @ Performance Torque last week. Absolutely lovely bloke, and he's been more than happy to help me with some questions I had after the remap as well. He managed to fit me in really quickly due to a last minute cancellation, otherwise it would have been at least a 2 week wait. The customer area is lovely and private, with a TV and Xbox which you can use. Although, to be fair, you can't really hear anything once the dyno pulls start happening!

Firstly... Holy moly!

It pulls like a train now. Biggest improvement for me is the low-end oomph once you're in boost. Makes it so much better as a daily driver.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and the 'main' road is a 50, with not much visibility either way, so you really have to commit when pulling out (no double entendre intended :wink:). Previously I really had to be careful with the auto 'box so that the revs didn't go too high on a cold engine (sometimes I'd need to use the paddles etc. to get it to shift earlier). Now, with the remap, I don't really need to worry about that at all, as it's got enough power low down that it can afford to change gear far earlier.

For anyone who hasn't experienced it, to me it's effectively like the car is in sport mode permanently (minus the different shift points). You've got the sharper and more aggressive throttle response all the time. Now, the actual "Sport" mode is just awesome.

Pre-remap, at motorway speeds with the roof down, it'd need a fair bit of throttle just to keep a stable speed because of the massive amount of drag generated. Post-remap, that's far less of an issue.

Got it done on one of the muggiest, most humid days of the year, so cooling/intake temps were a bit of an issue after a slew of dyno pulls, so it was making 245hp as a worst-case scenario. It's running the same boost level as the other 20i's he's done, which he's said generally make about 260hp, so realistically, it'll be making about that in day to day driving, and will only dip down to the 245hp mark if it gets super duper toasty, or if it gets absolutely ragged.

Haven't got the dyno graphs yet so not sure about the torque, but will upload them once I do.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has!
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

biZ4rreMids

Post by biZ4rreMids » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:20 pm

There’s a few on the forum that have had Will remap their N20’s myself included, 281 bhp and 450nm of torque. These power and torque numbers are consistent with other’s although based on having decat pipes installed which makes c10bhp difference.
Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster S
Previous:
Melbourne red 2016 20i MSport with a few subtle mods
Titanium Silver 2004 3.0SE with run flats

Boltz

Post by Boltz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:02 am

Will did my Z4 (now sold) 12 months ago and mine had a decat and when done was producing 282 bhp and 453 nm of torque. Mine was the 18i so to go from stock to what Will mapped it to was an astonishing transformation. Highly recommended Ptorque and I will soon be taking my current car to him for mapping👍
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Previous E89 18i manual Msport LCI, remapped, 282 bhp 453nm torque, Supersprint exhaust, decatted, stubby, BMW Performance Big Brake Kit, Msport rear valance and diffuser, Inovit 19inch Vector alloys, Msport black grilles.

Boltz

Post by Boltz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:02 am

Will did my Z4 (now sold) 12 months ago and mine had a decat and when done was producing 282 bhp and 453 nm of torque. Mine was the 18i so to go from stock to what Will mapped it to was an astonishing transformation. Highly recommended Ptorque and I will soon be taking my current car to him for mapping👍
VW Golf GTI Edition 35

Previous E89 18i manual Msport LCI, remapped, 282 bhp 453nm torque, Supersprint exhaust, decatted, stubby, BMW Performance Big Brake Kit, Msport rear valance and diffuser, Inovit 19inch Vector alloys, Msport black grilles.

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:20 pm

Here's the graph.
A pleasant surprise to see it pushing 190hp stock!

Biggest difference is obviously the torque. There's so much more of it at every given point. It just pulls and pulls.

Next job is an exhaust I think!
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

biZ4rreMids

Post by biZ4rreMids » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:33 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:20 pm Here's the graph.
A pleasant surprise to see it pushing 190hp stock!

Biggest difference is obviously the torque. There's so much more of it at every given point. It just pulls and pulls.

Next job is an exhaust I think!
My dyno graph attached but as above this is a stage 2 remap due to the addition of a super sprint decat pipe and Wagner intercooler. Something to bear in mind if you’re thinking of installing a decat pipe, unlike the 6 cylinder engine the N20 only has a single cat so unless you know a friendly MOT tester it will be a guaranteed MOT failure. My MOT is due in a couple of weeks so planning to have my cat reinstalled.
Attachments
F9FD8B16-002B-444A-822E-53D3FC25F95D.png
F9FD8B16-002B-444A-822E-53D3FC25F95D.png (380 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster S
Previous:
Melbourne red 2016 20i MSport with a few subtle mods
Titanium Silver 2004 3.0SE with run flats

sumotan

Post by sumotan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:38 am

Stage 2 with 450 nm of torque !!!!!! Wow my mouth is watering now

Pyranha

Post by Pyranha » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:53 pm

I had mine remaped 2 or 3 years ago now. It really makes the car. I recently had my friends 240i and although the 6 cylinder was smoother, i am not sure i would want that much power. The remaped 20i feels like just enough to have fun on uk roads

Ed.Straker

Post by Ed.Straker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:59 pm

Mine was re-mapped by a Celtic dealer prior to my acquisition.

I'm aware that some folks have had issues with Celtic re-maps.

Having driven a few re-mapped E89s with N20 engines before it seems that this tune is OK, the car is plenty rapid for a 2 litre car.

The torque is the thing..overtaking is just so easy.

About the same net capability as a 35i for a much smaller price.

I know a 35i can be easily re-mapped but it seems that the N20 is the winner in terms of bank per buck.
White 35i MSport MHD re-map…still in one piece

Atacama Yellow 20i MSport Auto. Remapped, more to be done…written off