Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi Fi Amp wiring

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
alex7123

Hi Fi Amp wiring

Post by alex7123 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Hi guys,
I've made an subwoofer that fits nicely into the back of ski hatch cubby hole, will do a write-up on it once I've perfected it.
I have the 11 speaker Hi-Fi setup, and initially I tapped into the headunit output / amplifier input rears for a source for the sub. My thinking was I can just use the sub amp's lpf to filter what I need from a full range signal. Unfortunately it was too quiet, even with the gain maxed out, but it did work and was getting all frequencies I wanted.
Since then I've tapped into what I thought was one of the stock sub speakers with a low level converter, which now gives plenty of volume - but only above ~60hz. I've since read that unlike the e90 which I've based my wiring on, the rear stock subs and woofers are wired in series on one channel each (I think?).
My question is, have I tapped into the footwell woofers and that's why I'm missing the bottom end, or do the stock subs only go down to ~60 Hz? Of course I didn't think to take pics of the wiring while it was apart, but hopefully you guys can still help and maybe save me taking it apart again.