Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
BeardyJon

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by BeardyJon » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:36 am

McHaggis69 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:37 pm Hi,

was visiting Portobello beach today and entered a car park (some rough ground) not realising a raised manhole cover would catch the front bumper.

Its split the bumper in several places and scratched it to hell on the underside nearside. On that side its pulled the clips which attach it to the wing.

I'm going to assume its a throwaway job - anyone any clue the ballpark for a new front bumper painted to match and fitted?
I've seen the actual bumper for sale for around £200 which was surprisingly cheap I thought.
That's a bugger, sorry man. If it's just the bumper, you can probably get a 2nd hand one for around £200-300 and a respray will be around £200-300 also. I bought a new rear diffuser from a BMW dealer in Germany off Ebay for about £200 and had it resprayed and fitted in Leith for £300. TBH I think they probably overcharged me a bit but having said that, the finish has lasted and I wouldn't have wanted to argue about it.
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Zed Baron

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:07 pm

When I was 18 (a million years ago in the 80s) I had a suped up 1970 Mini, 1300cc, race clutch, extra oil cooler, water cooler, halogen lights. Massive alloys and arches, roll cage, corbeau seats and harnesses and enough dials to fly a jumbo jet, candy apple red with a big white Cooper stripe, it was lowered and it was v quick. One night driving home I went across a patch of road they were resurfacing and a man hole cover caught my rear exhaust box, ripped it off and the rear valance and bent the rear subframe!

ihadablackdog

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:05 pm

If you want to claim off the council be prepared for a forensic investigation into your cars history.

Go and get photos of the manhole cover and loads of the damage. Take a tape measure or ruler to include in the photos to show the height.

Download the form from your council website. They will likely want proof of last service, mot etc and loads of other crap that is not relevant at all.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

McHaggis69

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by McHaggis69 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi Folks

£400 for invisible repair.
£1000 to replace and colour match.
I could go for a secondhand bumper as some have suggested, but to be honest I’ll probably use my usual place for the repair.
In terms of contacting the council, I think thats a non-starter. Its not an official car park as such and looks to be a privately owned site (but everyone parks there). Its just some rough ground down near the beach. If it had been an official council car park I wouldn’t have hesitated to claim.

Thanks for all the help and advice (and the odd bit of sympathy lol).
2020-2023 E89 Z4 sDrive30iM Sport
2023-? G29 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport tech & comfort packs

mcbutler

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by mcbutler » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:23 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:44 pm
mcbutler wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:06 pm
gusTaco wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:02 pm I would have taken the excess hit as well if it wasn't for my dashcam!
Yep, they are a god send and will be very valuable in preventing prison time once the highway code and associated road regulations change later this month
Care to elaborate?

I wouldn’t do too well in Prison.
Watch both of these, everyone should be aware of the info given freely here

https://youtu.be/4eCJE2bfdd4

https://youtu.be/tO69N9G_9Iw
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Deepseaskateboard

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:58 pm

mcbutler wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:23 pm
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:44 pm
mcbutler wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:06 pm Yep, they are a god send and will be very valuable in preventing prison time once the highway code and associated road regulations change later this month
Care to elaborate?

I wouldn’t do too well in Prison.
Watch both of these, everyone should be aware of the info given freely here

https://youtu.be/4eCJE2bfdd4

https://youtu.be/tO69N9G_9Iw
Ah I see, seems mostly common sense. I have seen some right muppets overtaking cyclists, like they must be overtaken at all costs, where as I treat them as a slow moving vehicle and wouldnt just drive out into oncoming traffic, as many do.

Same with pedestrians, if they look like they might run across a road, best to anticipate and slow down.

Always have to be courteous to horse riders, as being loud and fast could frighten their animals, in the rare situation I have to drive past one.

I think the changes are largely because no one seems to know how to drive anymore!

The bit which seems a bit like a lawyer payday tho is people waiting to cross at an unmarked junction. I can see some scenarios here where people could be waiting to run in front of slow moving cars for profit…. At expense of their legs.
I suppose though it will likely be as it is now, with the vast majority of people looking out for traffic and not wanting to be hit by a car!

Zed Baron

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:10 pm

[quote=Deepseaskateboard post_id=1867716 time=1631210302 user_id=20384
I think the changes are largely because no one seems to know how to drive anymore!
[/quote]

I don't think anyone knows how to use the roads, the amount of cyclists I see bunched up in groups taking over the width of the road, pedestrians running across the road near crossings (isn't that jay walking in the US) and I've stopped driving up to Loch Lomond at the weekends because of some of the scary antics of some bikers, overtaking on blind bends etc. I nearly saw a horrid accident on a very busy country road with an old guy riding along on his invalid scooter and then turning right without any indication causing three cars to do emergency stops. My pet hate are people that have 'Baby on Board' signs on the back windows of their cars and then drive like utter tw4ts, my progeny is so important but don't give a toss for anyone else. I can see (especially with the dawning of electric car period) that all of cars will be fitted with cameras as an insurance stipulation :fuelfire:

BeardyJon

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by BeardyJon » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 am

How is a driver supposed to determine whether a pedestrian is "likely" to cross the road when they're approaching a junction? What happened to teaching people to look both ways before crossing the street and waiting until the traffic is clear or the crossing signals its safe to cross?

So on top of paying attention to the junction and other road users, we also have to look around the junction to see if there's any pedestrians approaching it and determine whether they're going to walk out into the road or not? Ridiculous.

Obviously, I'm not opposed to making sure I'm not causing any danger on the road and taking care, but what I oppose is formalising "my safety is someone else's responsibility" in law. If you're a pedestrian, you are responsible for yourself.

Literally just last week, within the space of 90 seconds, I was driving through Stockbridge and I saw a cyclist go through 3 sets of red lights, then another cyclist across the road somehow fall off his bike into the road, then a couple walked into the road in front of me without looking, and then as I turned a corner there was a woman driving down the wrong side of the road at me. Am I supposed to be responsible for all of that?!
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

mcbutler

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by mcbutler » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:03 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 am How is a driver supposed to determine whether a pedestrian is "likely" to cross the road when they're approaching a junction? What happened to teaching people to look both ways before crossing the street and waiting until the traffic is clear or the crossing signals its safe to cross?
'How is a driver supposed to determine whether a pedestrian is "likely" to cross the road when they're approaching a junction? What happened to teaching people to look both ways before crossing the street and waiting until the traffic is clear or the crossing signals its safe to cross?"
This is precisely the issue, essentially what is happening here is UK gov legislating to make YOU responsible for the safety of other people when you cannot assure it. It gives power to what we all know are the worst group of road users (cyclists) complete nutters (motorcyclists) and pedestrians (witless phone swiping earpod wearing fektards).
We all look out for others naturally, its human nature to do so. But to make one group responsible in law for the behaviour of others is obviously wrong. We all make our personal transport choices freely and we should therefore accept the risks associated with that choice freely also.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by Silverstar » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:33 pm

mcbutler wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:03 pm
BeardyJon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 am How is a driver supposed to determine whether a pedestrian is "likely" to cross the road when they're approaching a junction? What happened to teaching people to look both ways before crossing the street and waiting until the traffic is clear or the crossing signals its safe to cross?
'How is a driver supposed to determine whether a pedestrian is "likely" to cross the road when they're approaching a junction? What happened to teaching people to look both ways before crossing the street and waiting until the traffic is clear or the crossing signals its safe to cross?"
This is precisely the issue, essentially what is happening here is UK gov legislating to make YOU responsible for the safety of other people when you cannot assure it. It gives power to what we all know are the worst group of road users (cyclists) complete nutters (motorcyclists) and pedestrians (witless phone swiping earpod wearing fektards).
We all look out for others naturally, its human nature to do so. But to make one group responsible in law for the behaviour of others is obviously wrong. We all make our personal transport choices freely and we should therefore accept the risks associated with that choice freely also.
The UK and other European countries need to take leaf from the US's book and introduce Jay walking as law that applies to pedestrians.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

mcbutler

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by mcbutler » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:59 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:33 pm
mcbutler wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:03 pm
The UK and other European countries need to take leaf from the US's book and introduce Jay walking as law that applies to pedestrians.
The punishment for JW is a tiny fine or more usually a telling off/written warning, not much of a detterent
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by Silverstar » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:46 pm

mcbutler wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:59 pm The punishment for JW is a tiny fine or more usually a telling off/written warning, not much of a detterent
Could always improvise and hand them jail time of 1 month. :rofl:
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

JamiesZ4

Front Bumper cost/rescue

Post by JamiesZ4 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:46 pm
mcbutler wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:59 pm The punishment for JW is a tiny fine or more usually a telling off/written warning, not much of a detterent
Could always improvise and hand them jail time of 1 month. :rofl:
LOL then next month everyone complains of living in a totalitarian regime. :headbang: where folk are terrified to cross the road in case it’s viewed as JW and they get a month in the same cell as Big Dan’s cell buddy :cry:

My view is and has always been that our roads are for the benefit of vehicles and that cyclists and pedestrians stray onto those roads with the necessary precaution reserved for rocking alongside numerous 1.5 tonnes+ of constantly moving metal whilst not constantly getting upset about it, or to put it another way, it’s the same reason that people don’t go on safari and then jump out of the Jeep’s to pet the lions - some natural common sense needs to be applied rather than assuming the vehicles need to give way for Sebastian on his cycle towing his kid to school behind him during rush hour…
Current - E89 Z4 SDrive 3.0i - last of the normally aspirated six cylinders
Gone - E85 Z4 2.2 SE