Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Does anyone know what this part is?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:17 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:55 pm It’s to safeguard against anything shorting between the positive/negative terminals to avoid a “Chernobyl” type catastrophe
There is a dirty great black steel bar between the two terminals, which is directly connected to the body of the car,; so in effect is the same as the neg/earth terminal. That's not insulated, nor is the actual battery neg terminal, as this plastic shroud stops short of the terminal. Also, the positive terminal is completely shrouded by the red cover, so I can't see a problem. Again, I am not trying to be difficult, just interested (as I have to be very careful these days not to upset anyone) :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:28 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:17 pm
Smartbear wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:55 pm It’s to safeguard against anything shorting between the positive/negative terminals to avoid a “Chernobyl” type catastrophe
There is a dirty great black steel bar between the two terminals, which is directly connected to the body of the car,; so in effect is the same as the neg/earth terminal. That's not insulated, nor is the actual battery neg terminal, as this plastic shroud stops short of the terminal. Also, the positive terminal is completely shrouded by the red cover, so I can't see a problem. Again, I am not trying to be difficult, just interested (as I have to be very careful these days not to upset anyone) :thumbsup:
The positive terminal cover could fall off :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:38 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:28 pm The positive terminal cover could fall off
:rofl: :rofl: As usual the voice of reason and logic, Roberto :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:02 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:39 pm
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:27 pm For anyone who hasnt got one, take a look at the ebay link, or search for similar items.

I do have the sensor, but no plastic surround, I managed to source one for £9
Well done finding it. :thumbsup: I don't want to seem difficult and am genuinely interested why you want one, though, when it serves no useful purpose whatsoever. The negative terminal on a DC battery is an earth terminal. The other end of the neg terminal cable is bolted to the floor of the metal boot (without any protection) about 10" away, so I am at a loss as to why the plastic shroud on the terminal is there TBH .
I figured why would they put one on, if it wasnt important?

It’s not mission critical, but it was bugging me that I didn’t have one!
I had a few small jobs on the car which needed doing, like the fuel cap tether, this is just another of those small jobs. It keeps me occupied! Haha

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:08 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:02 am It’s not mission critical, but it was bugging me that I didn’t have one!
I had a few small jobs on the car which needed doing, like the fuel cap tether, this is just another of those small jobs. It keeps me occupied! Haha
Fair enough. That's reminded me, the fuel cap on mine is knackered aswell. :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:46 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:43 pm Mine doesn't have one, it's bare. It also looks like it never had one TBH.
Are you sure it's not only specified for other markets?
IMG_8420.JPG
What production year is your car?

I am now wondering if there is more to this than meets the eye.

Your terminal clamp (with the nut on) is angled, where as the clamp with the plastic part is straight up.
Mine is also angled.

There was a battery cable recall for the E89, I have queried this with BMW and they say mine doesn't need it doing…

I am wondering if we have the updated version?

Looking at the plastic part again (after ordering) it does not look like the bend in the metal will be accommodated by it.

I will find out next week!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:09 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:46 pm
Pondrew wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:43 pm Mine doesn't have one, it's bare. It also looks like it never had one TBH.
IMG_8420.JPG

Your terminal clamp (with the nut on) is angled, where as the clamp with the plastic part is straight up.
Mine is also angled.

There was a battery cable recall for the E89, I have queried this with BMW and they say mine doesn't need it doing…

Looking at the plastic part again (after ordering) it does not look like the bend in the metal will be accommodated by it.

Mine was built March 2013, first of the facelft (LCI). The terminal looks like it never had a shroud or cover on TBH.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:10 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:09 pm
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:46 pm
IMG_8420.JPG

Mine is also angled.

Mine was built March 2013, first of the facelft (LCI). The terminal looks like it never had a shroud or cover on TBH.
Yeah, quite possibly.

Mine is a 2012