Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changing final drive ratios

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sumotan

Post by sumotan » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi Gents,
I came upon an old thread discussing the above on E85/86. Was wondering has anyone done this for E89 especially for the N20.
Final drive specs for example my 28i is stated 3.077 would be great if we can get a higher ratio for better acceleration between gear changes.
At my end I'll never be able to ever see top speed so improving acceleration is a good compromise. Ideally the right way is to change the gear box ratios instead but cost is gonna be prohibitive so no logic here

As always thanks

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:50 pm

I dont know about other spec Zeds but the 35i/is have the crown wheel welded in place, you cannot just unbolt it and swap it over. Seems a lot of work to create a car that would be marginally faster with questionable driveability to say the least
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 pm

well on an old e46 and e85 its pretty straightforward, get a diff with a more favourable final drive ratio and swap them over.

i remember i swapped the diff on an old 328i from a 2.97 to a 3.38, made a noticable difference to how it accelerated through the gears, and was only 300rpm higher or so when cruising on a motorway.

if you genuinely find yourself thinking 'this gear feels long' then i'd give it a go. might be more tricky if theres any fancy electronic torque biasing gubbins going on in the diff, but if its purely a mechanical, open diff then i dont really see any problems with swapping them over.

sumotan

Post by sumotan » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:05 am

Thanks Gents well if it can be done easily then it might be a gd option to experiment. Posted this as I couldn't find any info on the web with regards to E89 differential tweaks.