Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remap insurance

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
BeardyJon

Remap insurance

Post by BeardyJon » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:21 pm

I've been insured with esure for a good few years now and I got the stage 3 Celtic remap and they were happy to insure it. I made sure to check with them first, and the guy I spoke to on the phone didn't know what I was talking about but after he spoke to his manager they were fine to sort it. It only added £55 to my premium.
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Dave 2 dogs

Remap insurance

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:38 am

MR T
So sorry to hear LV didn’t produce for you.
I have no idea what would make your circumstances different to mine??
Unfortunately, as some people have touched on above, there literally is no rhyme nor reason when it comes to insurance companies :headbang: mine IS on a 4K miles per year limit, and I DID add this after taking out the initial policy.
But after that ??? Christ knows why they come to that amount for you?? Bit I DID say … hardly anything for the remapping… but £12 for the caliper painting… work THAT logic out 🤷‍♂️😳

DiMaroo

Remap insurance

Post by DiMaroo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:15 pm

peeblezZ4 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:05 pm Gocompare website allows you to fill in a modification section which includes 'Engine tuning/remapped' or the likes. Admiral were best
Interestingly, for me Admiral refuses to insure anything more than a 25% increase over the original bhp. This is why I had to stick to stage 1 from Celtic, which, honestly, doesn't add much (214 vs 181 bhp). I spoke to a consultant in their online chat, they say they don't support significant remaps, and their website returns an error if you try to add a change to the policy stating the remap over 25%. I'm happy to pay extra, they just won't take this money.

BTW I wonder if it's fine to temporarily change stage 1 to stage 3 during a trackday (via emotion tuning device from Celtic), since trackdays aren't covered anyways and I have to buy separate insurance for these days which covers the remap. Haven't tried yet but since the additional ECU remap file costs just £50 extra it looks tempting.

Mister T

Remap insurance

Post by Mister T » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:58 am

In the event of an accident do you really think the insurance company is going to perform a forensic investigation into the state of your car's ECU?

Anyway, it was like that when you bought it, wasn't it?

SV8Predator

Remap insurance

Post by SV8Predator » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:57 pm

Mister T wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:58 am In the event of an accident do you really think the insurance company is going to perform a forensic investigation into the state of your car's ECU?
Certainly, if there is a death or life-changing injuries. First thing they would check.
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead

Remap insurance

Post by ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:11 pm

Real hot potato this one, I guess the best thing to remember is they will always not want to pay out if they can however it’s not easy to say with absolute certainty what they do and don’t check so in my opinion you have to decide if It’s worth full disclosure or not

ihadablackdog

Remap insurance

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:26 pm

I’m with Hastings direct (think they’re a broker) and renewal due. Not sure if I will get a remap, but would like to know if they will cover it.

Selected the option on the quote page and it says I need to talk to them. Was on hold for 30mins and gave up!

Will try again.

Incidentally Deb retired in Feb….updated that today (from community nurse) and got an 80p refund!!!!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Remap insurance

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:47 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:26 pm I’m with Hastings direct (think they’re a broker) and renewal due. Not sure if I will get a remap, but would like to know if they will cover it.

Selected the option on the quote page and it says I need to talk to them. Was on hold for 30mins and gave up!

Will try again.

Incidentally Deb retired in Feb….updated that today (from community nurse) and got an 80p refund!!!!
I tried to take my zed mileage down from 15,000 to 5000 miles and was offered a £25 refund, I laughed and said don't bother contacting me when my three cars are up for renewal, I am going elsewhere, I was paying in excess of £500 for the zed due to having zero no claims on the car.

I was expecting £100 to £150 refund - jokers the whole bloody industry. :headbang:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

ihadablackdog

Remap insurance

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:22 am

Finally got through on the phone.

They won’t cover a remap, even though they have the options to choose from. Might check some others.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Remap insurance

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:12 pm

So, we all know its naughty to not declare a remap etc....

What about saying you DO have one, even if you dont?

I'm considering getting one, so looking at insurance quotes with a remap. Looking on LV, the price doesnt change whether I tick "engine remap" or not, so I'm thinking to add it as its free, whereas to add it later might cost.

But would that cause a problem in a claim, ie the car has less power than insured for?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Remap insurance

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:24 pm

Remember, you are agreeing that the information you are giving is truthful and correct when generating the quote, you would be deliberately falsifying the information you are giving them, technically invalidating the insurance. Up to you what you consider the risk is in doing so and whether it's worth it, but you will be giving them an opportunity to deny a claim.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

ihadablackdog

Remap insurance

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:34 pm

Thats true, hadn't thought of that. LV will quote for it but Admiral and Direct line wont.

Same price with LV with or without the remap, even so, the policy is about £60 more than the renewal with Hastings, although I need to double check excess etc.

So I guess the decision is how likely I am to do it in the next year....
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Colin_E

Remap insurance

Post by Colin_E » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:40 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:12 pm So, we all know its naughty to not declare a remap etc....

I'm considering getting one, so looking at insurance quotes with a remap. Looking on LV, the price doesnt change whether I tick "engine remap" or not, so I'm thinking to add it as its free, whereas to add it later might cost.

But would that cause a problem in a claim, ie the car has less power than insured for?
I called LV a few weeks before I remapped. Once they told me it would add all of £3 to my premium for the remaining 3 months of my cover, I asked if it would be an issue if i signed up right away ( it had taken some time to get through on the phone & £3 seemed worth paying just not to have to through the saga again)and either delayed doing the deed or maybe even didn't proceed at all. Not a problem I was told so I did so and then took a little while to actually get it mapped. So I think you'll be fine but if in any doubt call & check for peace of mind. :thumbsup:

ihadablackdog

Remap insurance

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:12 pm

Colin_E wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:40 pm
ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:12 pm So, we all know its naughty to not declare a remap etc....

I called LV a few weeks before I remapped. Once they told me it would add all of £3 to my premium for the remaining 3 months of my cover, I asked if it would be an issue if i signed up right away ( it had taken some time to get through on the phone & £3 seemed worth paying just not to have to through the saga again)and either delayed doing the deed or maybe even didn't proceed at all. Not a problem I was told so I did so and then took a little while to actually get it mapped. So I think you'll be fine but if in any doubt call & check for peace of mind. :thumbsup:
I did an online chat and asked if it would cause problems to add it now even though I haven’t got it.

They asked if I would be getting it done soon….I said probably not for a few months (if at all) and they said best to leave it off and then add it at the time.

They confirmed there would be no admin fee to do that, so probably just do that.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Jasonn

Remap insurance

Post by Jasonn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:36 pm

Ive just checked with LV - the price has come back really good with a remap, insurance ends on the 10th, so I'll be going with them by the looks of it - next problem is to find a good mapper in East London/Essex