Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

So has anyone tried to get a new warranty on a 10 year old 35i?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:24 am

Busterboo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:59 pm
Beeacon wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:18 pm How many miles is on that 35iS for it to be that cheap? Mine with 75k is looking at +1k :(
Also I couldn't find anything covering the expensive adaptive suspension in the cover document.
Which insurer is "Mine"?
It was the BMW Insured Warranty you recommended, which PBondar then used to generate the attractive £457 quote.
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 pm
Beeacon wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:18 pm
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:47 am Result!..£457 PA on £250 excess :thumbsup:

Or £613 PA on £100 excess..
How many miles is on that 35iS for it to be that cheap? Mine with 75k is looking at +1k :(

Also I couldn't find anything covering the expensive adaptive suspension in the cover document.
50k miles
Strange, I tried 50k miles to see if it was that but still came up at >£750. Must be an age thing too...
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:29 am

Beeacon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:24 am
Busterboo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:59 pm
Beeacon wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:18 pm How many miles is on that 35iS for it to be that cheap? Mine with 75k is looking at +1k :(
Which insurer is "Mine"?
It was the BMW Insured Warranty you recommended, which PBondar then used to generate the attractive £457 quote.
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 pm

50k miles
Strange, I tried 50k miles to see if it was that but still came up at >£750. Must be an age thing too...
It was a 2011 dated car…did have a full bmw service record..maybe that is a variable..

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:32 pm

My 35i with adaptive suspension is 12 years old in Dec and has the BMW insured warranty on it.
BUT that's only because previous owner bought it in Sept 2019 from Sytners with 65k miles on it and had 12 month AUC warranty on it then he took out insured warranty once this had run out. I've continued with insured warrantee when I bought it.
Should have been relatively easy way to keep warranty running as dealer has responsibility
to check car meets approved used standards before putting it up for sale. In real life(and covid times) not as easy as that but with lot perseverance and donkey work now got it sorted.
They do come up occasionally at dealers I'd been looking about 2 years before saw mine advertised privately on here but rarely privately with a continuous warranty throughout its life.
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

birdy_z4

Post by birdy_z4 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:51 pm

Ouch BMW insured 2010 3.0si 68k

Excess: £250
£769.00 per year

birdy_z4

Post by birdy_z4 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:52 pm

Anyone use A1 approved warranty ?

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Question: On the BMW warranty..I assume all servicing and 'issues' raised need to be through a BMW approved dealer, ie BMW main dealers?

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:44 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:59 pm Question: On the BMW warranty..I assume all servicing and 'issues' raised need to be through a BMW approved dealer, ie BMW main dealers?
I asked this question recently on another thread and it turns out you don't. You just have to have it serviced by a VAT registered garage with VAT receipts. Best to check the small print though.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:26 pm

Silverstar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:44 pm
Pbondar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:59 pm Question: On the BMW warranty..I assume all servicing and 'issues' raised need to be through a BMW approved dealer, ie BMW main dealers?
I asked this question recently on another thread and it turns out you don't. You just have to have it serviced by a VAT registered garage with VAT receipts. Best to check the small print though.
Im sure BMW genuine parts must be used for any work
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:12 pm

Interesting and maybe obvious points...if you select comprehensive cover then....

Are there any restrictions on cover?

Vehicles modified from the original manufacturer’s specification.

What are my obligations?

Servicing must be carried out in accordance with vehicle manufacturer’s guidelines and use genuine manufacturer’s parts,
or parts of an equivalent specification.

To keep service records up to date and service receipts as proof of servicing.

Items not covered..

timing belts and tensioners are covered providing that the last due change has taken place as specified by the manufacturer’s
schedule (proof required). Damage subsequently caused if timing belt has not been changed as specified by the manufacturer
is specifically excluded.

Casings: casings are covered only when damaged by the failure of an insured component.

All repairs must be carried out by an authorised BMW Retailer or BMW Service Workshop.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:27 pm

Depending on how much you intend to modify the car the warranty may not be worthwhile.

Obviously any spring or wheel changes are going to void warranty on the shocks. Any engine map, intercooler or downpipes are going to make any engine warranty worthless regarding the injectors or fuel pumps. To me the beauty of owning an N54 is the modding, they are very tame without a tune.

If you find one with injectors already replaced then I'd be putting the £50/month into a savings account for when something does break as that's the only guaranteed failure on anything older than a 2016 model. The cars are very easy to work on for a home mechanic.

I made good use of my warranty for its duration but I got sick of the "wait until it breaks down" approach, I'm much more pro-active with car maintenance. For example, I knew my injectors were bad for months before the car started throwing engine codes but the dealer wouldn't touch them until it started misfiring.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:47 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:27 pm Depending on how much you intend to modify the car the warranty may not be worthwhile.

Obviously any spring or wheel changes are going to void warranty on the shocks. Any engine map, intercooler or downpipes are going to make any engine warranty worthless regarding the injectors or fuel pumps. To me the beauty of owning an N54 is the modding, they are very tame without a tune.

If you find one with injectors already replaced then I'd be putting the £50/month into a savings account for when something does break as that's the only guaranteed failure on anything older than a 2016 model. The cars are very easy to work on for a home mechanic.

I made good use of my warranty for its duration but I got sick of the "wait until it breaks down" approach, I'm much more pro-active with car maintenance. For example, I knew my injectors were bad for months before the car started throwing engine codes but the dealer wouldn't touch them until it started misfiring.
I’ve come to pretty much those conclusions :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:41 am

Can't what for this reset idea you own nothing...car breaks down, government owns it, they can go fix it.
Don't seem such a bad idea. :P

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:53 am

flybobbie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:41 am Can't what for this reset idea you own nothing...car breaks down, government owns it, they can go fix it.
Don't seem such a bad idea. :P
I much prefer self reliance. If the current state of the public sector is anything to go by then public car schemes would just be hugely costly to the tax payer and you'd end up going private anyway :)

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:47 pm
R.E92 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:27 pm Depending on how much you intend to modify the car the warranty may not be worthwhile.

I’ve come to pretty much those conclusions :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Anyway back on track, hopefully with a lot less hormonal turmoil :roll:

I had a warranty with mine through Warranty Wise when I bought it, I did consider extending but realistically the price was likely going to be more than any work that would have to be done, plus in the fine print they were very careful to write out the big tickets like the gearbox as "wear and tear" so ultimately it wasnt worth it for me. I would also agree with the above, if you start tuning it most companies would have a small print clause that would bar you from claiming because its modified.

Save the equivalent cost in a bank account and have it there if you break it :thumbsup:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Im surprised, I thought that my 23i would be too old for a BMW warranty - £562 comp with roadside assist £250 excess