Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

dead battery, broken key cylinder

noncents

Post by noncents » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:48 am

Post by noncents »

Hi everyone, Bad times at the Z4 front, someone tried to steal the baby and messed up the manual key cylinder, DEAD battery so the key fob wont work, and they stole my rims and wheels in spite. I have a 2009 Z4 E89, saw a couple things on YouTube saying that I can run a 12 volt lead to the blinker, or from the plate light to give the car 12 volts to use my fob. will this mess up any of the electronics in the car and most of all will it work? also was told I can remove the grill plates and open the hood that way. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

noncents

Post by noncents » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:35 am

Can't believe no one has an answer to this. Hope you are never in this predicament

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:01 am

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum and I’m sorry to hear of you problems, this is mainly a uk forum so the time difference between countries won’t be helping, the front grills can be removed by pulling but be careful not to break the retaining clips, that’s the only help I can give but I’m sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to help.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:19 am

This won't be much help, but BMW says this
Emergency Opening of Rear Lid
As there is no lock cylinder and Bowden cable assembly, the rear lid cannot be released
in the event of the rear lid lock being defective. At the same time, movement of the
retractable hardtop is inhibited by the unknown status of the rear lid.
The lid can be opened if the Bowden cable (emergency glow in the dark) handle can be
reached from the through load compartment.
The rear lid can also be forced to open by using the diagnostic tester. The rear lid activation
via the JBE component activation function. This activation request ignores all status
that would typically inhibit rear lid operation such as top position.
Seems to be a ridiculous design, even if you can get in the car it isn't easy. Is there not a key cylinder on both doors? I've never checked and my car is at the body shop.
There was a similar thread sometime ago, the guy had the breakdown service open the door with some tool I believe.

Here you go, a slim Jim viewtopic.php?f=45&t=122544&p=1751369&h ... k#p1751369

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:43 am

noncents wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:48 am ...DEAD battery so the key fob wont work,...
Which battery do you mention, car's battery or from the key fob?
The car's battery can be reloaded from the "red" charging point below the bonnet. A good BMW mechanics should be able to get it opened from the front.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:01 am

Might be able to apply positve as the battery cable to front of car pass through the boot floor or the cable to starter motor.