Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to remove the built in iPhone / iPod cradle and cable?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:04 pm

New owner here, and having fun!

I've managed to install the MMI box thanks to the great tutorials from Dave and a few other posts on here - thank you.

The next project is removing the built in iPhone dock in the arm rest. So far, I've detached the plastic parts from the tray, so winning.

I guess I could just tape up the cables and tuck them away somehow - but I'm now thinking it'd may be best to remove the cable completely.

Is this feasible? Where does the other end of the cable plug into?

2009 2.3 auto sdrive, if that matters.

Bonus question - on the back if my iDrive unit I have 3 LVDS sockets, but all the pics I've seen, they have two - the thirds is directly below the two normal ones. Any idea what is going on here?

I'm hoping its something to do with the DAB radio, as I'd also like to install the factory DAB radio, but will save that for another day...

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:10 pm

The cable goes to the Combox in the book (behind carpet on bulkhead). Just unplug it, no problem.

The third socket was for something that was never used in the end so don't worry about it.

As for DAB, I'd suggest internet radio via the MMI box, far less hassle than retrofitting oem DAB.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:05 pm

Thanks Dave. I was hoping to post a success story after the weekend, but it’s been miserable here for days. Hopefully next weekend now!