Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 e89 stereo upgrade help

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Picard1471

Post by Picard1471 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:30 pm

I have the standard professional stereo head unit and was hoping to upgrade in some way to include some kind of touch screen head unit .

Is there a easy fit available that anyone can recommend or if anyone can recommend who fits them .

Had the car two weeks and loving it but would love to have ability to connect my android phone or iPhone to it rather then just the jack of my iPod

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:46 pm

A simple usb aux bluetooth adapter should fit in under the centre console armrest giving you ability to bluetooth music from your phone for the simplest solution..doesn't help if you must have a touchscreen but I find its all i need

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144038324061 ... Swnd1gnXmL
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Picard1471

Post by Picard1471 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:57 pm

That’s a great start thankyou

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:29 pm

You can go from a £10 Bluetooth adaptor like above all the way up to an E89 specific designed Android Touchscreen for around £750 (plus fitting, but you can do it yourself)

So the simple Bluetooth adaptor will just play your music from your phone through the headunit. No control (don't forget there is now a new law this year meaning that you cannot touch your phone for any reason while driving!)
So up from that is a Bluetooth adaptor called Tune2air, which plugs into the AUX & USB ports under the armrest (assumingbyou have the factory combined AUX/USB ports, if not then this won't work) around £110 from Amazon. This gives you track skip from your steering wheel controls.
As for the Android Touchscreen, well I just happen to have a video on how to fit those.....
https://youtu.be/VC9VFJBDFQM

That's a couple of years old now, the fitting is the same but the specs are much better now.
If you don't fancy taking it all apart yourself then I could sort that for you, send me a PM and we can talk about it :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:05 am

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:29 pm
So the simple Bluetooth adaptor will just play your music from your phone through the headunit. No control (don't forget there is now a new law this year meaning that you cannot touch your phone for any reason while driving!)
I have a cheapo BT adapter from Amazon that plugs in the jack and usb port, and it has 3 buttons - one for pausing and answering calls, and two either side for skipping tracks. I usually have it hanging out of the armrest so it's accessible if I need it. Not as convenient as steering wheel controls but a hell of a lot cheaper!
2009 sDrive30i, deep sea blue, ivory