Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Batteries, Warranties, DABs & Orange

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:42 pm

After a couple of months of being back in the world of Z4's there are a few things I need some advice on from the wise Z4 people of this forum...

1. I potentially have a very minor oil leak (light misting) that Coopers BMW found while doing my oil change - they mentioned it on the paperwork but seemed surprised that I bothered to ask about and they didn't think it was an urgent issue but I'd rather get it fixed straight away regardless (I was considering changing a couple of the usual suspects anyway as preventative maintenance given the car's age and mileage. My car is under BMW approved used warranty until September, but I'm struggling to get an answer from BMW as to whether gaskets etc are covered or are under wear and tear exemptions - they just point me to a web page that refers to other documents that BMW claim don't exist :headbang: . Has anyone got experience of this? The work will be done regardless, but after a frustrating experience with Coopers (my only local Dealer) I'll probably take it to my local indie if not covered by warranty, or do it myself depending on exactly what needs replacing and whether I can find the time.

2. My battery appears to still be the original (7 years old). There has been absolutely nothing at all to suggest the battery is struggling or getting low and on other cars I would just wait until there are signs that it needs replacing, but with the well known issues on these if it goes flat I would rather be ahead of the game - 7 years seems a good time to put in a fresh one, particularly as it isn't my daily driver. Are there any tips specific to the e89 that I need to know to avoid anything very inconvenient happening when I change it, or is it just a case of making sure that I don't allow the boot to close until the new battery is fully connected and operational?

3. This is my first BMW with DAB radio - are they usually terrible or is there something wrong with mine? I get a signal less than 50% of the time (tried with both whippy and stubby) whereas my Focus of similar age never fails to get a signal. Normal FM radio is just fine.

4. I often give a wave to other Z4 drivers (when I'm in the Z4) but there is also a Valencia Orange 1-series near me and I often exchange a glance with the driver across a crowded street - is it normal to wave at other road users because they have the same colour car as you, or am I the only one who thinks he's part of the Valencia Orange Car Club? Sometimes I even feel like I'm part of an imaginary Unusual Colour Car Club and yesterday felt the urge to give a congratulatory wave to someone driving a brilliantly unnecessary lime green RSQ3, but I'm pretty confident that's not normal.

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

EDIT: I forgot number 5 - I had a windscreen chip repaired a couple of weeks ago (is it just me or do e89's attract stones to the windscreen like no other car?! Disclaimer: I always leave a VERY generous gap to the car in front) and as usual a few cracks came out when the chip was drilled, but one seems unusually noticeable rather than the expected can-only-see-it-when-you-know-it's-there-and-look-closely. I will try to get a picture but difficult to get it show up on camera. I've not experienced it before after a repair (only had one that needed repairing before - also an e89) Does that sound like a problem?
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:47 pm

3 - I’ve noticed in driving a VW Caravelle 66 plate & a Range Rover Evoque 66 plate that the DAB’s on those are nigh on identical in terms of reception when I’m on the motorway to a known destination or the work run.

So whilst I don’t have specific BMW knowledge here as mine does not have DAB I’d suggest if yours is much worse than your Focus then there might be an issue

Ming

Post by Ming » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:10 pm

I had a slight misting oil leak mentioned at the last MOT. Got it serviced at a quality independent guy and he said it was just the oil filter seal weeping slightly. The DAB on my 13 plate Z4 doesn't give me as much choice of stations in my Renault Trafic. Annoyingly, the satnav isn't as useful either. Difficult to read road names, also doesn't seem to give you the distance to the next junction and advanced notice of roundabout exit number. I've gone for an overtake not knowing there was a junction I needed coming up and had to go past it rather than look a complete tw@t. I've got to get a small chip sorted soon so I'll see if it is a problem
I do like to go topless......
....... in my remapped 20i in Valencia Orange with Black Roof :driving:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:38 pm

The battery can go maybe to 10 years..7 is not a bad age..it completely depends on the life it’s lead..if it spent long periods in a garage not being used and / or lots of short journeys and / or winter operations then these will all shorten its life..if you are into piece of mind then some well planned judicious sourcing of a new battery ..80ah in your case would be ‘prudent’

The main issue is to to ensure you handle the negative earth lead VERY CAREFULLY as it has the IBS monitor built into..so tugging n yanking ..

If you want to do an orderly shutdown open up the boot and leave it for say 30 minutes then disconnect the positive cleanly then the negative lead.

Replace in reverse order taking care of that negative lead.

Your battery will require registration which most code readers can do..some people feel it’s a waste of time..but then why would BMW ask you to do it if it was completely irrelevant?

DAB is poorer on the E89s than F30s and in my case Volvo XC70s..using aftermarket LED bulbs doesn’t help as their electrical hash is bang on the DAB frequencies and causes the DAB deafness..

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:47 pm

As far as waving with about 25,000 UK E89s most of them ‘cooking versions’ I’ve found very few ever wave back…the Forum is a micro microcosm of the Z4 drivers…most Zed owners world is not connected to the ebbs n flows of this forum..you may be lucky at times..I think Valencia Orange owners are a micro micro microcosm of owners…it wouldn’t even occur to wave at a VO series 1 if I had a VO Zed..but others I’m sure will disagree :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:36 pm

Drive on Eleuthera island Bahamas.
You have to designate an official waver.
Everybody waves, cars drivers, pedestrians, street urchins.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:45 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:36 pm Drive on Eleuthera island Bahamas.
Everybody waves on Islay :lol: I had to ask a local why the first time I visited the island and she said we just wave to everyone as we probably know them and if not it’s welcoming to the island :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:30 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:45 pm
    Everybody waves on Islay :lol: I had to ask a local why the first time I visited the island and she said we just wave to everyone as we probably know them and if not it’s welcoming to the island :thumbsup:
    That's a lot like London, except in London everyone waves with one finger...
    2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:31 pm

I use my Zed infrequently and the battery is 3 years old and no major issue but if it not used for a week, I stick a trickle charger on there for a day to top the battery up.

Wave at who you want, they may think your mad but then you do drive a bright orange car so they probably think your not plumb anyway so your just confirming their assumption by waving :rofl:
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:45 pm

tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:30 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:45 pm
    That's a lot like London, except in London everyone waves with one finger...
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Will, when I bought the car I asked about the battery and it’s age and the salmon relays. They said they check it as part of the AUC and if it’s below 70% they replace it if above they don’t. It was either 86 or 83% so they didn’t and as you know I kept it on a trickle charger. They wouldn’t replace the relays as they were functioning but agreed to put 2 new ones in the boot to change myself, which I did as soon as I got it home :thumbsup:

I don’t get DAB here so never noticed if it was good, bad or indifferent.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful, particularly the detail on battery change - my brain is more suited to mechanical things than electrical things.

I think it was 86% Andy, so I probably am being overly cautious. I would have asked you about the radio but I did suspect that you might not get much out there in the land that the AA dare not visit.

I'm going to look into the oil misting first, probably not the oil filter seal otherwise (you would hope) Coopers would have identified that when changing the filter. Nice and easy place to start though!

I'm not overly bothered by the DAB radio, but I'll see if it's covered under warranty and get it looked at if it is.