Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie After bit of Z4 advice and help

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:58 am

Where are the bloody pictures? Don't make me reach back there! :lol:

Given how finicky and expensive it is to repair the roof, the wise woman said to only open and close while stopped. Unless posing, of course.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:23 am

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:56 pm Personally I think the smart top is largely a waste of time..the one thing it does that cannot be simply coded is one touch remote closing of the roof..which is technically illegal in most markets..

All other aspects and limits can be software coded AFAIK.

Technically the last thing you want to do after you’ve shut the engine down and maybe going to sleep for a prolonged period of time is induce a massive current drain with a smart top.

Not necessarily relevant on a NA engine but good practice on turbo charged cars is to let the car idle for at least 1 minute..that gives the perfect opportunity to power the roof up with the benefit of the alternator powering all systems to the last moment.

But people bang on about it like it’s a divine miracle..
Well I bought my smart top cheaply used at less than £150 so for me probably no different to buy Carly and I am not ne to mess with vehicle software to be honest so it made sense to me.

I always open / close the roof off the key and have no issues with the battery at the moment, car is rarely used did 30 miles in One but it does get put on a trickle charger for a day every week which seems to keep it working ok.

I used to do that with my RS Turbo may moons ago, not certain its needed now but I would still do it out of mechanical sympathy for the car.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:11 am

Ref Ronk..of course if you have a medical related issue then it would be churlish to criticise its use :thumbsup:

There’s a world of difference between good practice and ‘well it never did me any harm’ comments..

Running a circa 500 watt motor albeit got a short period of time on a non charging battery just doesn’t help its life expectancy or its ability to cope with an extended lay up..hence why BMW stated originally that the roof should only be operated with the engine running..in part to avoid the potential cessation of the sequence due to insufficient reserve capacity in the battery.

Similarly the reason why many turbos had s countdown timer originally was the good practice of allowing the turbo to cool prior to shutdown to avoid cooking and coking the residual oil keeping the crucial bearing well. :thumbsup:

Manufacturers attempt to ameliorate these issues but that’s a reflection on poor practice of the public rather than an endorsement of their behaviour :tumbleweed:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:23 am

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:39 pm
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:21 pm According to RobbiZ4 the ultimate doyen of E89 roofs that statement is incorrect..

There was a change in hydraulic circuitry from 3 valve circuits to 4 valve circuits but that had zippo to do with ability to open the roof at any speed..it was part of ensuring a more positive closing procedure..there was no roof stiffening..

AFAIK if your roof doesn’t move underway then it can be coded :thumbsup:
Not a guru on the roof but the op has a 2011 23i so he either needs smart top or coding, no-one has mentioned coding but quite a few have said smart top is the way to go which is odd as I would have though coding would be cheaper :?
The Op has said he can raise and lower the roof using the fob, this would suggest to me that he possibly already has a Smarttop fitted or something similar.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:31 am

When I had the small contaminated bubbles on my aluminum roof repaired it than went into service for various warranty work to be done.
After collecting car roof stopped working in two different positions
1) Boot lid in vertical position just before/after change of direction for open/close -BMW mechanic gave it a gentle shove to move it to full extend of vertical travel -it then worked-but do at your own discretion
2) The boot lid closing against the plastic cover behind the headrest stopped with about an 1" gap before lock down position wide enough to put your f

He managed to get roof full close and took car back to dealers got a phone call in less than 2 hrs to Anyone else heard of the over max spped error.say it was fixed.
Reason - attempt had been made to open/close roof at above maximum speed -error code logged which gave date and time and allegedly whilst in repair shop for warranty work. Car had been driven about 12 miles so possible but I am very skeptical about date/time even if opening over max speed generates a fault code.
Its a 2009 35i and as other have said can be open/closed on move at very low speeds on in car buttons but only key function is to open roof when unlocking
Bit of advice he gave me both for roof or accident work is to get fault code read before any work is carried out. Roof had worked perfectly when taken in and from what was said about code reading sounds as if they read fault codes before work started.
I suspect roof fault was due to very slight misalignment or maybe dust contamination whilst in body shop-but. who knows
Anyone else heard of the over max speed opening/closing roof fault code
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:01 am

2k35is wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:31 am Anyone else heard of the over max speed opening/closing roof fault code
Yes, I’ve heard of it. I’ve read it on a thread(s) on here and iirc it was something that BMW check for warranty claims and can refuse a claim if this is recorded. It does create a time/date/speed stamp as far as I’m aware

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:45 pm

I didn't think it was even possible to open the roof over the 20mph - I imagined it would not let you?

Closed mine once at around 10-15mph and it makes more of a noise when it shuts so I assumed it wasn't a good idea and now only put it up/down while doing 1/2mph parking or completely stationary.
    2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Scharnhorst

Post by Scharnhorst » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Thanks very much all, I'll add those photos now I have a few, the weather since the Z4 has been in commission with me has not been the best ! :thumbsup:
    Suffolk, UK
    Driving BMW Z4 23i Auto, BMW 330d M Sport Auto, Suzuki Jimny JLX+

Scharnhorst

Post by Scharnhorst » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:00 pm

ImageImage
    Attachments
    9061A54E-F58D-4C4E-A03C-822494846D2E.png
    9061A54E-F58D-4C4E-A03C-822494846D2E.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 317 times
    A37003A5-CE45-49B3-B049-515FFD736B6E.png
    A37003A5-CE45-49B3-B049-515FFD736B6E.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 317 times
    Suffolk, UK
    Driving BMW Z4 23i Auto, BMW 330d M Sport Auto, Suzuki Jimny JLX+

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Those lesser objects in the background ruin the enjoyment of the main piece.

:)
    2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:35 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:23 am
    Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:39 pm
    Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:21 pm According to RobbiZ4 the ultimate doyen of E89 roofs that statement is incorrect..

There was a change in hydraulic circuitry from 3 valve circuits to 4 valve circuits but that had zippo to do with ability to open the roof at any speed..it was part of ensuring a more positive closing procedure..there was no roof stiffening..

AFAIK if your roof doesn’t move underway then it can be coded :thumbsup:
    Not a guru on the roof but the op has a 2011 23i so he either needs smart top or coding, no-one has mentioned coding but quite a few have said smart top is the way to go which is odd as I would have though coding would be cheaper :?
    The Op has said he can raise and lower the roof using the fob, this would suggest to me that he possibly already has a Smarttop fitted or something similar.
    He must have comfort access then.

I do not and can open only with the FOB and open on the move, with the consol button obviously.

Done it a few times, when slowley approaching red lights. (Get a few thumps up when you do it :thumbsup: )

Weird this is, when i got the car there had been an HPI check on it. When back hope going through the paperwork
    i noticed the HPI check under options it listed Comfort access @ £1550.-- I dont have it.

It does not mention all the other packs i have, lighting, smoker, storage, design pure traction etc. Seems i have every option other than comfort.
    Last edited by N4LLY on Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:46 pm

If these Comfort access keys are the ones theives can read from out side your house, then i'm glad i do not have it :wink:

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Oh sorry :oops: Nice motor OP :thumbsup:

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:11 pm

Scharnhorst wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:59 pm Just bought last week a 2011 model year Z4 23i Auto with 58k on the clock, Full BMW history, Alpine white with I guess a few factory extras when new, leather seats, sat nav, park sensors, autobox.

Now I am not new to BMWs as I have a 2016 330d M Sport saloon but struggling with a few features as no hand book.

1. Is it possible to get paper owners/operator manual for the car, I have tried google without much luck?

Any advice/help appreciated. Thanks :)
    There’s a handbook currently being advertised for sale on EBay if that’s any help ?
    You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
    So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:21 pm

Very nice motor scharnhorst :thumbsup:
    E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather