Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie After bit of Z4 advice and help

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Scharnhorst

Post by Scharnhorst » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Just bought last week a 2011 model year Z4 23i Auto with 58k on the clock, Full BMW history, Alpine white with I guess a few factory extras when new, leather seats, sat nav, park sensors, autobox.

Now I am not new to BMWs as I have a 2016 330d M Sport saloon but struggling with a few features as no hand book.

1. Is it possible to get paper owners/operator manual for the car, I have tried google without much luck?
2. I have found out the key fob will lower and raise the roof, but have not tried raising the roof on the move, is it possible or simply not recommended on the basis the extra wind resistance will strain the motors?
3. I am getting the impression sliding the gearbox into S is making the engine and exhaust sound even better or is this in my head?
4. Is the rocker switch with Sport and Sport + worth using. I don't use it on my 330d but that engine is all about torque rather than revs?
5. The current tyres are Run Flat Bridgestones 225/35 x 19 front and 255/30 x 19 rear, the fronts are looking a bit perished ( just passed the MOT) and I would not be surprised they are original, any recommendations on a better tyre, I was thinking Goodyear F1 Eagle or Pirelli RF, low noise rather than ultimate grip is my aim
6. Finally the paddle shifts have completely confused me, my 330d is left for a change down and right paddle for a change up, no idea what left and right is doing on the Z4 as seems both do same thing?

So far very impressed with the build on the car, the sound system (looks like I have 10 speakers if the maths is right) and the engine/exhaust sound is amazing. I also got 37mpg on a 80 mile run, but expecting 20-25mpg locally.

Any advice/help appreciated. Thanks :)
Suffolk, UK
Driving BMW Z4 23i Auto, BMW 330d M Sport Auto, Suzuki Jimny JLX+

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:18 pm

1. Could try Ebay, they can also be found in digital format online.
2. If I remember correctly the pre-LCI (which yours is) need to be stationary to operate the roof.
3. No experience of your gearbox, but could it just be that it holds the gears longer therefore staying at higher revs and making more noise?
4. Again, not sure on your particular model, but on my 30i I think sport/+ just changed the throttle response a bit and turned off some assistances - wasn't hugely noticeable.
5. Apart from standard issue Bridgestone RF's I've only used my current Michelin PS4S on a Z4 and they are brilliant to drive on but definitely not the quietest so you should probably rule them out. You will soon be bombarded by "ditch the runflat" responses, which I would agree with - I think I've heard that the Goodyears are good for noise.
6. Pre-LCI they are push/pull or pull/push for up/down or down/up.
7. Apologies, I thought I was going to be more helpful than I actually was - some more knowledgeable people will no doubt comment soon!

I spotted a white 23i in Hadleigh this week, although I think I've seen it there before so probably not yours - either way, e89's look great in white and that 6 cylinder engine is glorious :thumbsup:

P.S. welcome!
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:21 pm

Pictures or we riot.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:25 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum, great choice of car and colour, but I am biased.

1 - As Tiglon advised or even BMW direct.
2 - Only raise the roof off the key fob unless you have a comfort access. You can get a smart top at £350 new (cheaper used) and easy to fit will give loads of additional features.
3 - No idea on the gearbox
4 - As Tiglon has said
5 - Get rid of the RFT and most will say Michelin but some will name other tyres but its your preference
6 - As Tiglon said - everyone says its confusing
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, photos are highly recommended with your 1st post,
The roof normally only opens with the key fob unless you have comfort access or an aftermarket module fitted (smart top)
My 2011 will raise and lower the roof whilst moving, if I remember correctly it will do it up to 10mph as standard but can be coded to work at upto 30mph, personally I’d only do it on a smooth road at less than 15mph.
The sport/sport + alters the throttle response, steering weight and possibly an exhaust valve if yours has one, also stiffens the suspension if you have adaptive suspension.
As already said your paddle shift works up/down either side, a few people have changed them to the later design, one side up the other down, but this is the first DCT I’ve had and I like using one hand for up and down changes.
Last edited by Chippie on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi I've got an identical car:
The auto box is more fun to drive when switched to s mode, s+ can catch you out.
The paddles are rubbish and thats why I've changed mine to the newer ones. Ditch the runflats, roof will only open from key fob not close

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:23 pm

Scharnhorst wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:59 pm Just bought last week a 2011 model year Z4 23i Auto ...
Whatever you do, take the car off runflats. Then you'll be amazed how much better it is than you thought.
Vidi, vici, veni

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:25 pm

As said previously ,keep your eyes peeled fo a Smarttop module - About £200 used - the best money you can spend on the E89 :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:42 pm

Welcome to the mad house. :)

Can't help much with your questions , other that Don't buy Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres. They are perfect for ultimate grip on dry roads and little else. :D :driving:

The picture police are closing in too, so best get a few pictures of this fine new beast up on the forum. :wink:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 pm

At launch the models didn’t allow roof movement on the move but were I think all reprogrammed so that the roof can operate upto 20mph or 25mph as standard ..you can program it to move upto 30 mph..mechanical sympathy suggests taking any head wind into consideration that 15-20mph is more benign to the roof..

The mode button on yours affects throttle, steering and gearbox shift points..with a modestly dynamic model the changes may not appear significant..

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 pm At launch the models didn’t allow roof movement on the move but were I think all reprogrammed so that the roof can operate upto 20mph or 25mph as standard ..you can program it to move upto 30 mph..mechanical sympathy suggests taking any head wind into consideration that 15-20mph is more benign to the roof..

The mode button on yours affects throttle, steering and gearbox shift points..with a modestly dynamic model the changes may not appear significant..
I thought it was possible to get the roof to open / close on etc move with comfort access on the 23i? :?
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi and welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

I've never had an E89 so can't offer much help. But I'd agree with what buzy said about the MPSS tyres. I picked my current car up over 150 miles from home fitted with those tyres on a cold grey December day with everything from drizzle to heavy rain and they were hopeless! But I think they may have been discontinued now the PS4s are on sale.

Has anyone mentioned photos yet? :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:29 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 pm
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 pm At launch the models didn’t allow roof movement on the move but were I think all reprogrammed so that the roof can operate upto 20mph or 25mph as standard ..you can program it to move upto 30 mph..mechanical sympathy suggests taking any head wind into consideration that 15-20mph is more benign to the roof..

I thought it was possible to get the roof to open / close on etc move with comfort access on the 23i? :?
I’m slightly confused..if you have the key in its ignition slot how do you press the buttons whilst on the move?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:47 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:29 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 pm

I’m slightly confused..if you have the key in its ignition slot how do you press the buttons whilst on the move?
Me to Pete, I was under the impression that the roof could only be opened / closed with the interior buttons when stationary, the key fob would allow you to open the roof when stationary only - no comfort access.

I thought comfort access gave different parameters and allowed the interior buttons to open / close the roof when on the move (as per smart top) as well as open when stationary - not certain about close off the fob when stationary.

Thought there was also something about boot access as well with comfort access, not certain what or how it functioned but was meant to provide easy access to items in the boot by partially opening?

I could be wrong that's for certain as I do not have comfort access but fitted smart top and can open / close off the fob when stationary and the same when moving upto 40mph (not that I would do that above 10 / 15 mph) :)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:53 pm

Comfort access is depending on the market the ability to remotely open and maybe close windows / locks / roof…

The switches in the central console open and close the roof irrespective of whether you have a comfort access version.

For National market regulations you have to hold the buttons whilst either opening or closing the roof.

Windows with anti-trap sensors are allowed to have one touch opening and closing..

The maximum speed you can open and close the roof has changed over time..you can program it up to a hard limit of 30 mph.. :thumbsup: