Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie After bit of Z4 advice and help

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:57 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:53 pm Comfort access is depending on the market the ability to remotely open and maybe close windows / locks / roof…

The switches in the central console open and close the roof irrespective of whether you have a comfort access version

For National market regulations you have to hold the buttons whilst either opening or closing the roof.

Windows with anti-trap sensors are allowed to have one touch opening and closing..

The maximum speed you can open and close the roof has changed over time..you can program it up to a hard limit of 30 mph.. :thumbsup:
The switches do allow you open / close the roof clearly but not when moving was my understanding unless you have comfort access?
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:04 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:57 pm
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:53 pm Comfort access is depending on the market the ability to remotely open and maybe close windows / locks / roof…

The switches in the central console open and close the roof irrespective of whether you have a comfort access version

For National market regulations you have to hold the buttons whilst either opening or closing the roof.

Windows with anti-trap sensors are allowed to have one touch opening and closing..

The maximum speed you can open and close the roof has changed over time..you can program it up to a hard limit of 30 mph.. :thumbsup:
The switches do allow you open / close the roof clearly but not when moving was my understanding unless you have comfort access?
Not so AFAIK.. :tumbleweed:

There is some confusion over ‘comfort access’…

BMW comfort access is when you approach a locked car with your key in day your pocket and it automatically unlocked the car without your intervention..very few E89s were ever fitted with it..

AFAIK all E89s have a remote unlocking capability.

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:08 pm

I got rid of those god awful Bridgestones and replaced them with Goodyear Assy 5 and never looked back - quieter and the traction light doesn't come on as often in cold, wet weather

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:18 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:04 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:57 pm

Not so AFAIK.. :tumbleweed:

There is some confusion over ‘comfort access’…

BMW comfort access is when you approach a locked car with your key in day your pocket and it automatically unlocked the car without your intervention..very few E89s were ever fitted with it..

AFAIK all E89s have a remote unlocking capability.
Pete, totally agree that very few cars have comfort access and that allows you to touch the ribs on the door handle to local / unlock the doors and start the car with the key in your pocket.

Yes all e89 have remote unlocking.

it is the roof functionality that is a further differential between cars with and without comfort access, such things as convenient loading (easy access to boot) when comfort access is fitted, press once and then again within one second press and hold and the roof opens but the rear section stops at the top of the cycle and the boot opens.

Same with open / closing of the roof, with Comfort Access you can open close the roof off the key fob when stationary or the buttons when moving, cars without comfort access do not have these functions other than you can open the roof off the key fob AFAIK.

This is why people fit smart top - gives same functionality as comfort access in regards to the roof
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:42 pm

My car doesn’t have comfort access..I can do all the functions you’ve listed..the only thing smart top gives on top is the ability to remotely close the roof…

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:44 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:42 pm My car doesn’t have comfort access..I can do all the functions you’ve listed..the only thing smart top gives on top is the ability to remotely close the roof…
I don't have comfort access and all I could do was open the roof off the key fob - if I could do the rest then I would not have purchased smart top.

I think there was a change in software in 2012 or at LCI

Is this also 1 touch on the move

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:44 pm
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:42 pm My car doesn’t have comfort access..I can do all the functions you’ve listed..the only thing smart top gives on top is the ability to remotely close the roof…
I don't have comfort access and all I could do was open the roof off the key fob - if I could do the rest then I would not have purchased smart top.

Was there a change in software at LCI?
My car was built August 2012 so well pre LCI…

AFAIK all E89s can be programmed to do the functions listed..power mirror retract / open does require extra hardware..no one AFAIK has shown the ability to code one touch roof close without a smart top after market product, in part because it’s illegal in all markets to have one touch roof close without trap sensing ..

Given the E89 roof is a Terminator class crusher it’s illegal..not that it stops Smart top selling it’s product..

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:00 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:50 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:44 pm

Was there a change in software at LCI?
My car was built August 2012 so well pre LCI…

AFAIK all E89s can be programmed to do the functions listed..power mirror retract / open does require extra hardware..no one AFAIK has shown the ability to code one touch roof close without a smart top after market product, in part because it’s illegal in all markets to have one touch roof close without trap sensing ..

Given the E89 roof is a Terminator class crusher it’s illegal..not that it stops Smart top selling it’s product..
Just dug this quote out - All Z4s made in July 2012 and after will allow you to open the roof while moving, but there's no retrofit for older models because they're beefing up the supports to allow for this - no certain about the retro fit bit but I am not aware of anyone saying they have programmed an early car to have the same functionality as yours.

I agree its not good to have one touch roof close but smart top do it - I normally have two touches activated on the key, but one touch internally and no one really uses the car other than me and I hope I have enough sense not to stick bits of my anatomy where the roof is closing.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:21 pm

According to RobbiZ4 the ultimate doyen of E89 roofs that statement is incorrect..

There was a change in hydraulic circuitry from 3 valve circuits to 4 valve circuits but that had zippo to do with ability to open the roof at any speed..it was part of ensuring a more positive closing procedure..there was no roof stiffening..

AFAIK if your roof doesn’t move underway then it can be coded :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:28 pm

I can confirm that pre LCI roofs could be opened and closed while moving, however when I say moving it is at a crawling speed, anything more would bring on a bong.
Dont think I would want to put any unwanted pressure on any part of the roof by operating it at any sort of speed
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:39 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:21 pm According to RobbiZ4 the ultimate doyen of E89 roofs that statement is incorrect..

There was a change in hydraulic circuitry from 3 valve circuits to 4 valve circuits but that had zippo to do with ability to open the roof at any speed..it was part of ensuring a more positive closing procedure..there was no roof stiffening..

AFAIK if your roof doesn’t move underway then it can be coded :thumbsup:
Not a guru on the roof but the op has a 2011 23i so he either needs smart top or coding, no-one has mentioned coding but quite a few have said smart top is the way to go which is odd as I would have though coding would be cheaper :?

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:41 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:28 pm I can confirm that pre LCI roofs could be opened and closed while moving, however when I say moving it is at a crawling speed, anything more would bring on a bong.
Dont think I would want to put any unwanted pressure on any part of the roof by operating it at any sort of speed
Maybe that is what it is - I can move mine unto 40kph but never would as it seems strange to add in extra stress on the system, maybe the advantage of smart top is one touch open / close when moving

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:53 pm

The Smarttop does allow the mechanism to operate at a decent speed but if the roof suffers any undue loading ie inertia from road bumps / cornering - the system faults and it freezes. I suspect this is a car feature rather than a Smarttop feature.
This feature was observed on my pre Lci 3.0l E89
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:56 pm

Personally I think the smart top is largely a waste of time..the one thing it does that cannot be simply coded is one touch remote closing of the roof..which is technically illegal in most markets..

All other aspects and limits can be software coded AFAIK.

Technically the last thing you want to do after you’ve shut the engine down and maybe going to sleep for a prolonged period of time is induce a massive current drain with a smart top.

Not necessarily relevant on a NA engine but good practice on turbo charged cars is to let the car idle for at least 1 minute..that gives the perfect opportunity to power the roof up with the benefit of the alternator powering all systems to the last moment.

But people bang on about it like it’s a divine miracle..

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:10 am

Wait until your car is parked roof down and it starts to rain heavily :rofl:

On a more serious note without my smarttop fitted, I couldn’t use the car - unless you are in contact with someone who could perform a divine miracle on my spine?

Incidentally the battery problem has never ever been a problem in the several year of ownership and infrequent car use. The battery copes amply well with a closure after use and opening prior to its next outing.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: