Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie After bit of Z4 advice and help

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Scharnhorst

Post by Scharnhorst » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:07 pm

I haven’t tried the roof close with the key fob yet but will give it a go tomorrow and try and get some better cleaner pics without other cars, but she needs a wash first.

Thanks for the comments and tips.

If you don’t have run flats ( I’ve had them for 5 years on my 330d) what do you use in case of a flat? Tyre weld in a can or carry a space saver spare ?
Suffolk, UK
Driving BMW Z4 23i Auto, BMW 330d M Sport Auto, Suzuki Jimny JLX+

Scharnhorst

Post by Scharnhorst » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:09 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:18 pm 1. Could try Ebay, they can also be found in digital format online.
2. If I remember correctly the pre-LCI (which yours is) need to be stationary to operate the roof.
3. No experience of your gearbox, but could it just be that it holds the gears longer therefore staying at higher revs and making more noise?
4. Again, not sure on your particular model, but on my 30i I think sport/+ just changed the throttle response a bit and turned off some assistances - wasn't hugely noticeable.
5. Apart from standard issue Bridgestone RF's I've only used my current Michelin PS4S on a Z4 and they are brilliant to drive on but definitely not the quietest so you should probably rule them out. You will soon be bombarded by "ditch the runflat" responses, which I would agree with - I think I've heard that the Goodyears are good for noise.
6. Pre-LCI they are push/pull or pull/push for up/down or down/up.
7. Apologies, I thought I was going to be more helpful than I actually was - some more knowledgeable people will no doubt comment soon!

I spotted a white 23i in Hadleigh this week, although I think I've seen it there before so probably not yours - either way, e89's look great in white and that 6 cylinder engine is glorious :thumbsup:

P.S. welcome!

If that was Hadleigh Suffolk and in the Main Street, that could been me on Wednesday evening :thumbsup:
Suffolk, UK
Driving BMW Z4 23i Auto, BMW 330d M Sport Auto, Suzuki Jimny JLX+

Braveatom

Post by Braveatom » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:04 pm

Scharnhorst wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:59 pm 1. Is it possible to get paper owners/operator manual for the car, I have tried google without much luck?
I'm also a new member to the Z4 club - I have the owners manual, its the same as this one on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154501189579 ... SwGOFgp6c2

And it can be downloaded here - while nice to have a physical copy, its doesn't have a search facility I've needed to look up the few things I needed direction on! - https://www.bmwsections.com/docs/z4/

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:08 pm

That’s the one I noticed- there’s another showing albeit more expensive!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

jaydon9269

Post by jaydon9269 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:39 pm

I ditched the 4 Bridgestone Potenza runflats on my E89 a couple of weeks ago.
My research for non runflats ended up with a choice of either Goodyear or Michelin
Finally decided on the Michelin Primacy 4 - 225/45R17 94Y XL TL which have a 68db
rating for external noise, fuel efficency A and wet grip A (European labelling)
I had 4 fitted for £380 (£95 each) which I thought was a good price.
Happy with my purchase so far. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:02 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:23 am
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:56 pm Personally I think the smart top is largely a waste of time..the one thing it does that cannot be simply coded is one touch remote closing of the roof..which is technically illegal in most markets..

All other aspects and limits can be software coded AFAIK.

Technically the last thing you want to do after you’ve shut the engine down and maybe going to sleep for a prolonged period of time is induce a massive current drain with a smart top.

Not necessarily relevant on a NA engine but good practice on turbo charged cars is to let the car idle for at least 1 minute..that gives the perfect opportunity to power the roof up with the benefit of the alternator powering all systems to the last moment.

But people bang on about it like it’s a divine miracle..
Well I bought my smart top cheaply used at less than £150 so for me probably no different to buy Carly and I am not ne to mess with vehicle software to be honest so it made sense to me.

I always open / close the roof off the key and have no issues with the battery at the moment, car is rarely used did 30 miles in One but it does get put on a trickle charger for a day every week which seems to keep it working ok.

I used to do that with my RS Turbo may moons ago, not certain its needed now but I would still do it out of mechanical sympathy for the car.
Smart top could waste if you have windows that bounce when you close the top.

Deebs

Post by Deebs » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:35 pm

So, not to add confusion, but my 2010 car will open on the key fob and close with the physical key inserted in the door and held in the lock position. I realise this closing function is not new information for people.

However, playing around with my new OBD reader, I was able to recode (not that I intend to use the function due to mechanical sympathy) the wing mirrors to fold after the roof closed.

I also got the roof to open and close on the move (a choice of 4 speeds were offered). I am going to set it to 10kph and only ever use it if it’s desperate (starts raining at the lights with angry people behind).

Scharnhorst,
Nice looking car!
You might already know this, but I recently serviced my roof (nothing major, just applied fresh lithium grease, changed the Salmon relays and used some GummiPfleger on the seals). It now opens and closes about 3 seconds faster and a lot smoother (I dread to think the additional strain the mechanism was under previously).
I also agree, the engine note gets sweeter in Sports mode, but we don’t have a flap, so it can only be the higher revs as previously mentioned.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:47 am

Ex 23i owner...

You can download the drivers manual as an app 'BMW drivers guide'
When you select sport a servo motor on top of the engine (a bump half way down the plastic engine cover) changes the cam lifter positions and increases vave opening and duration.
You can find a really good vide on youtube about stripping and the function of the N52 cylinder head.Michelin pilot sport 4 (4s) is always the best choice as anyone who has tried other so called performance tyres will tell you.
Opening the roof while moving can be coded via the carly app, so long as you are under 30mph and not cornering etc itll be fine.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:01 pm

mcbutler wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:47 am Ex 23i owner...

When you select sport a servo motor on top of the engine (a bump half way down the plastic engine cover) changes the cam lifter positions and increases vave opening and duration.
You can find a really good vide on youtube about stripping and the function of the N52 cylinder head.Michelin pilot sport 4 (4s) is always the best choice as anyone who has tried other so called performance tyres will tell you.
Opening the roof while moving can be coded via the carly app, so long as you are under 30mph and not cornering etc itll be fine.
I’ve not heard that before, the engine makes no more power in sport mode & the perception of greater response comes from the fly by wire throttle mapping being altered to give more throttle from the same pedal position :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:11 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:01 pm
mcbutler wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:47 am Ex 23i owner...

I’ve not heard that before, the engine makes no more power in sport mode & the perception of greater response comes from the fly by wire throttle mapping being altered to give more throttle from the same pedal position :?
Rob
Sorry my mistake, when full throttle is applied the valve motor increases valve lift from about 1mm to 10mm.

Video link, starts at around 4 min in https://youtu.be/3gRhDKE8vKU
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather