Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Did Dinan just brick my ecu? Advice please

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Starman

Post by Starman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 am

I just got the kit for the ecu program. I followed the instruction perfectly, the app pulled my vehicle info and let me apply the ECU update. It brought up a status screen saying something like 12:34 minutes (or hours???). It then said "erasing ECU"... then error out.

I closed the app and reopened, tried to pull vehicle info and it said "locked, call Dinan". Since its 8PM, I cant today.

So I go to start the car and it spits out all kind of transmission errors and just tries to turn over with nothing starting...

Im an an IT guy of 30 years, everything was perfectly connected (internet), battery charger and odb2 connector had its proper lights, I turned of all electronics.

Any idea how bad this is?
2013 Z4 35i "M sport"
Roadsters: 2006 Honda S2000, 2001 Honda S2000, 2000 Honda S2000, 1995 Honda del Sol DOHC VTEC, 1993 Honda del Sol Si

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:38 am

Rooting for the better. I got lucky with my two flashes, but I could’ve been you. Good vibes going your way.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 am

I think this is just one very good reason to get it done by a professional on a dyno.
Sure Dinan (never heard of them before) will sort it for you today, keep us all updated....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:48 am

Did Maniac not have a problem with almost bricking his ECU?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:46 am

Nictrix wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:48 am Did Maniac not have a problem with almost bricking his ECU?
Yes, caused by his battery going low during the mapping process, the op had a charger hooked up though?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:31 am

In the process does it not back up the OEM one first seems a bit stupid not too..,, what if you want to remove or in this case have issues

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:28 pm

Starman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 am I just got the kit for the ecu program. I followed the instruction perfectly, the app pulled my vehicle info and let me apply the ECU update. It brought up a status screen saying something like 12:34 minutes (or hours???). It then said "erasing ECU"... then error out.

I closed the app and reopened, tried to pull vehicle info and it said "locked, call Dinan". Since its 8PM, I cant today.

So I go to start the car and it spits out all kind of transmission errors and just tries to turn over with nothing starting...

Im an an IT guy of 30 years, everything was perfectly connected (internet), battery charger and odb2 connector had its proper lights, I turned of all electronics.

Personally I would just send the Dinan kit back for a refund after they fix the problem they caused. Their tune is crap compared to the alternatives like MHD.

12:34 (minutes:seconds) is about right for a full DME flash on the N54 (2MB Program and Calibration) but it sounds like it failed during the initial prep where it erases the current flash memory. Most commonly caused by the DME powering down which is usually one of these 3 causes; Ignition not being active, drivers door being opened and closed after ignition is turned on or low battery voltage (very unlikely at the start of a flash).

I've done all kinds of stupid things while flashing maps to cars, I've probably flashed ECU maps to various cars I've owned nearly 1000 times now while testing and developing maps and sometimes get too complacent but I've not had to buy a new DME yet.

You're in an easily recoverable scenario so don't worry too much. If you have a DCAN cable and a laptop I can help you get WinKFP running so that you can flash back to the original factory file. Alternatively MHD has fool proof recovery procedures your kind of failure so that would be an easy route for you.

Where are you located? Might be someone nearby that can assist.

Starman

Post by Starman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:48 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:28 pm
Starman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:19 am I just got the kit for the ecu program. I followed the instruction perfectly, the app pulled my vehicle info and let me apply the ECU update. It brought up a status screen saying something like 12:34 minutes (or hours???). It then said "erasing ECU"... then error out.

Personally I would just send the Dinan kit back for a refund after they fix the problem they caused. Their tune is crap compared to the alternatives like MHD.

12:34 (minutes:seconds) is about right for a full DME flash on the N54 (2MB Program and Calibration) but it sounds like it failed during the initial prep where it erases the current flash memory. Most commonly caused by the DME powering down which is usually one of these 3 causes; Ignition not being active, drivers door being opened and closed after ignition is turned on or low battery voltage (very unlikely at the start of a flash).

I've done all kinds of stupid things while flashing maps to cars, I've probably flashed ECU maps to various cars I've owned nearly 1000 times now while testing and developing maps and sometimes get too complacent but I've not had to buy a new DME yet.

You're in an easily recoverable scenario so don't worry too much. If you have a DCAN cable and a laptop I can help you get WinKFP running so that you can flash back to the original factory file. Alternatively MHD has fool proof recovery procedures your kind of failure so that would be an easy route for you.

Where are you located? Might be someone nearby that can assist.
Thanks! I sent you a direct PM, but Ill respond to a few items here for others to see if they may help.

Im in the Portland Oregon USA area.

Ill be calling Dinan in about 15 minutes when they open and will have more info soon.
2013 Z4 35i "M sport"
Roadsters: 2006 Honda S2000, 2001 Honda S2000, 2000 Honda S2000, 1995 Honda del Sol DOHC VTEC, 1993 Honda del Sol Si

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Starman, Richard is equally very knowledgeable and generous. He’s been immensely helpful with me. Follow his instructions. I’m in San Francisco, but sadly, of virtually no help at all. If there’s anything from this area that could help you, please reach out.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Starman

Post by Starman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 pm

Update:

I called Dinan and they unlocked the app. Their support told me that there was a 9 in 10 chance that the chip would have to be reprogrammed by BMW. They also took no responsibility, pretty much said it was my internet (even though I sure dont have any problems on my 1.2 gig connection) I tried it a second time and after 50 minutes of install holding my breath it took and finished (praying that the battery would last even with a charger on it, there was some kind of fan on in the rear of the car the entire time since the first failure, dont know what that is yet). Just drove her for an hour and she runs fine.

The only issue I have is that the check engine light is on and its telling me my battery has an issue. I charged the battery up to 100% after the flash and it still tells me there's an issue.

Really Im still not happy, as someone who has upgraded firmware on servers, routers and switch's my whole life, their software and means of distribution is a turd.
2013 Z4 35i "M sport"

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:04 pm

That’s a step in the right direction, OP. Good for you. Can you revert to stock with their app?

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:38 pm

Starman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 pm Update:

I called Dinan and they unlocked the app. Their support told me that there was a 9 in 10 chance that the chip would have to be reprogrammed by BMW. They also took no responsibility, pretty much said it was my internet (even though I sure dont have any problems on my 1.2 gig connection) I tried it a second time and after 50 minutes of install holding my breath it took and finished (praying that the battery would last even with a charger on it, there was some kind of fan on in the rear of the car the entire time since the first failure, dont know what that is yet). Just drove her for an hour and she runs fine.

The only issue I have is that the check engine light is on and its telling me my battery has an issue. I charged the battery up to 100% after the flash and it still tells me there's an issue.

Really Im still not happy, as someone who has upgraded firmware on servers, routers and switch's my whole life, their software and means of distribution is a turd.
So that’s a no for that supplier :thumbsdown:

Salutary experience….

Starman

Post by Starman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:49 am

Well, the battery message went away but the Z still has the "check engine" light on and it says there are no problems. Anyone know what that could be?
2013 Z4 35i "M sport"

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:07 am

When I remapped a Mini the CEL was supposed to eventually go away with driving but never did. I just reset it with Carly.

If the car feels like there are no problems can you just reset the light and wait to see if it comes back?

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:30 pm

mcbutler wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 am I think this is just one very good reason to get it done by a professional on a dyno.
Sure Dinan (never heard of them before) will sort it for you today, keep us all updated....
You do realise cars can have their ECU's bricked by "professionals" on a dyno too? It happened recently to a friends car, car had to stay with the tuner for a few days while they attempted to source a new ECU.

As R.E92 stated MHD is the best bet.