Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Flat tyres

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Zed Baron

Flat tyres

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:54 pm

Ok folks, a lot of you have changed runflats to non runflats and the big question is what happens if you get a flat tyre? I've got a can of squirty gel and an electric pump :cry: and I know some people have space savers (hassle of carrying a jack etc and taking up space in the boot). I've just been talking to a client of mine and he told me about this: https://www.360tyreprotection.com anybody out there had any experience with this product, seems like the ultimate solution?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Flat tyres

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:07 pm

Think products like this have been around a while, similar to your can of tyre slime but lives permanently in the tyre, think main concerns are if you have a nail or something in your tyre you may not notice due to no deflation but eventually that nail will damage the tyre enough to cause a blow out which all the tyre slime in the world won't fix and could cause a potentially fatal accident
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Zed Baron

Flat tyres

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:14 pm

From their website:
Q Do I need to do anything to maintain 360?
A No, 360 will continue to seal punctures with no interference at all. We do recommend you check your tyres often for cuts, screws, nails or anything else that would normally cause a puncture. (when you do find something like a screw, nail, etc please remove it safely and continue driving to seal the puncture

Pbondar

Flat tyres

Post by Pbondar » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:37 pm

So...

First of all..

Even with runflats you are limited to 50 miles at 50 mph..ok to limp to a garage and /or limp home

Without run flats your options are:

1) Gloop already in and / or put in when it goes flat..

2) 'Rat tails' .. bits of rubber splashed with rubber solvent stuffed into the hole

3) Space saver..

With all options except spacesaver you need a compresser

Spacesaver in an E89 still consumes most of the boot space, so if you are touring its an issues

Spacesaver has horrible handling effect so not great for touring..

Gloop inside the tyre..not sure for a high speed vehicle not tried it on anything but a push bike..

Blowing up with gloop..if the tyre is in the wrong position getting there is an issue

Rat tails used by para military /police a lot..must say something..

Of the 5 punctures I have seen (2 on our cars and 3 on others) all were slashed by road edges..non of the above bar space saver would have helped..

What do I do..

spacesaver plus gloop plus rat tails..although I hardly ever carry the spacesaver..

My philosophy.. AA relay..sit back and chill..

My E89 spacesacer shown for example..
Attachments
2021-06-21 16.45.07 wheel.jpg
2021-06-21 16.45.07 wheel.jpg (316.88 KiB) Viewed 555 times

rdm05z4

Flat tyres

Post by rdm05z4 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:17 pm

Years ago it was very common to get a flat tyre. But with today's newer compounds etc the percentage is drastically reduced. Now yes it does still happen but thankfully not as often. Every time you drive you chance getting a flat, however, with a little effort you can reduce chances. 1. Watch the road and were you drive. Drive around obstacles in the road not over them. (however sometimes it can't be helped) Avoid potholes if you can and if not and are able slow down as you go over them. 2. Check your tyre's on a regular bases for any issues and replace when needed. Don't drive on tyres with unsafe tread. As for what I am doing I keep a can of sealant and small air compressor in the Boot. But I do have insurance for car tow etc just in case. As for my comments am not trying to insult anyone on here as to their knowledge or experience just some items to consider. As for changing a flat I bet there is a 80% chance or higher that anyone 35 yrs and below could not change a tyre if necessary. It was one of the first things my Dad thought me when I started to drive.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

tiglon

Flat tyres

Post by tiglon » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:48 pm

Breakdown Cover. The squirty stuff is in the boot, but never used it before so no idea if it works or how effective it is.

I think I've had 3 flat tyres in 15+ years of driving. One of those I had to call the AA out anyway because the idiot I bought the car from had changed the wheels but not the wrench and it didn't fit, and the idiot who owned it (me) hadn't bothered to check when buying it - it also only happened because the tyres were far too old, which again I hadn't bothered to check. Of the other two, one was fine to drive round the corner to get a new tyre (also a very cheap and probably old tyre on a very cheap ebay car), and the other one was the only occasion when a spare wheel has come in handy but, I probably would have been fine driving that 1 mile to the garage as well.

So in 15 years that's probably one flat tyre that couldn't have been prevented by having tyres in good condition. I'm ok with having to get the AA to tow me to a garage once every 15 years.

Squirty stuff + AA cover = nothing to worry about.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Flat tyres

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm

AA or RAC ok if you have mobile signal.
My major flat tyre wall ripped out, dark, rainy country lane.
I just drove home on the flat tyre about 10 miles.
Not a run flat tyre.
Next day discovered i had two flats.

Busterboo

Flat tyres

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:13 am

360tyreprotection may well go all round the tyres, but it doesn't go all round the UK, being available in just Scotland and 'the north of England', which suggests that it's an imported product with only one franchisee. An awkward situation for both seller and potential market.
Vidi, vici, veni

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Flat tyres

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:25 am

The problem with carrying a spacesaver is that there needs to be room to fit the full size wheel that has the puncture in the car somewhere after you have fitted the spacesaver.
Anybody tried fitting a rear 19" wheel with tyre in the boot of an E89?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Zed Baron

Flat tyres

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:32 am

Yep, I've fitted a 19" rear 326 with tyre in the boot, no room left for anything else
Last edited by Zed Baron on Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deepseaskateboard

Flat tyres

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:32 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm AA or RAC ok if you have mobile signal.
My major flat tyre wall ripped out, dark, rainy country lane.
I just drove home on the flat tyre about 10 miles.
Not a run flat tyre.
Next day discovered i had two flats.
I think I have had a flat tyre twice when driving in need of replacement, since I was 18.

If the cost of AA cover is multiplied by the number of years unused, minus the cost of two new tyres, the maths says just drive home slowly and have two tyres replaced.

Runflats did provide some more security, or let one drive at faster speeds to get home, but the car is much better on the normal tyres, which are less expensive to replace anyway.

The tyreslime stuff sounds like a miracle product, but is it worth risking your life over? If you had a puncture you knew about, best just to get the tyre changed.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Flat tyres

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 am

Pbondar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:37 pm My E89 spacesacer shown for example..
Very funny. No wonder you dispute the handling.
Get any fouling at all?
:rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Flat tyres

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:37 am

Zed Baron wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:32 am Yep, I've fitted a 19" rear 326 with tyre in the boot, no room left for anything else
So basically if you are going to the bother of carrying a spacesaver you best not have anything else in the boot
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pbondar

Flat tyres

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:59 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 am
Pbondar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:37 pm My E89 spacesacer shown for example..
Very funny. No wonder you dispute the handling.
Get any fouling at all?
:rofl:
Was just checking to see if anyone noticed!

That's the space saver for the Jeep..

The one for the Zed is smaller..

Of course unless you have a square set up then even if you had a full size one you would have a 50% chance it was still wrong...

The other option is either puncture resistant tyres Continental do the self sealing versions..or more modern runflats..a lot have improved since Bridgestone brought out the Potentenza 15 years ago!!!
Attachments
2021-06-21 16.46.08.jpg
2021-06-21 16.46.08.jpg (257.69 KiB) Viewed 441 times

Colin_E

Flat tyres

Post by Colin_E » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:15 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:37 pm
My philosophy.. AA relay..sit back and chill..
Clearly enough of an AA fan to sport their livery on your “fleet” :rofl: