Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aircon on effect tuning?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Marcoose

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by Marcoose » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:55 am

I feel my cars have far more pep after I eat a can of beans. Even more if I add a couple of hard boiled eggs.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:53 am

I think there is barely any load, at idle the rpm needle hardly budgies from normal tickover.
Cold air flowing out so pump clutch must have pulled in.
Only jumps a touch as you switch the air con off, probably as fan cuts out.
I'm quite sure in warmer climates folks would start a journey with the aircon on.

mcbutler

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:48 am

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:12 pm
mcbutler wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm My point in a way, the higher fuel consumption brings the engine temperature up to it's optimum.
Normally my daily 7 mile drive to work never gets it up to ideal running temp., aircon on might speed that up, then switch off.
Let me get this right. You think that driving your 7 miles with the a/c on will help your engine? Seriously?
It will only put the engine under more load when it's cold and use more fuel.
There is a reason why BMW started fitting oil temp gauges instead of the normal water temp ones.
Thats odd, your post quotes me as making flybobbies statement!
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:58 am

Well can effect performance. If the aircon rad is in front of the engine rad. the engine rad will be warmed by air con rad.
By the time the engine thermostat opens to let cooler rad. water in it's already warmed up by the air con rad.
On a cool day with cabin heat on the engine might never reach it's optimum temp. on shortish journeys.
Shutting cabin heat off and running aircon might speed temp. rise up to optimum.

Pbondar

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 am

flybobbie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:53 am I think there is barely any load, at idle the rpm needle hardly budgies from normal tickover.
Cold air flowing out so pump clutch must have pulled in.
Only jumps a touch as you switch the air con off, probably as fan cuts out.
I'm quite sure in warmer climates folks would start a journey with the aircon on.
AFAIK the idle is controlled by the ECU..it maintains a constant rpm despite changing accessories loads..so a/c or alternator cycling shouldn’t affect idle speed :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Well having played around to day, don't think it makes much difference.
Mainly i think switching ignition on and letting what sounds like the valvetronic cycling has made it run better.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:12 pm

flybobbie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 pm Well having played around to day, don't think it makes much difference.
Mainly i think switching ignition on and letting what sounds like the valvetronic cycling has made it run better.
I’m not sure the valvetronic system can cycle with the engine turned off as it relies on oil pressure to operate? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Zed Baron

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:16 pm

Marcoose wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:55 am I feel my cars have far more pep after I eat a can of beans. Even more if I add a couple of hard boiled eggs.
I guess you do a lot of roof down motoring then :rofl:

Marcoose

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by Marcoose » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:23 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:16 pm
Marcoose wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:55 am I feel my cars have far more pep after I eat a can of beans. Even more if I add a couple of hard boiled eggs.
I guess you do a lot of roof down motoring then :rofl:
No way! That would be a horrible waste of fuel. That's my ERS, mate. :rofl:

I also have on good authority that a well-tuned E89 goes downhill far quicker than uphill.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Pbondar

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by Pbondar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:26 pm

flybobbie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 pm Well having played around to day, don't think it makes much difference.
If you accept that the air con consumes about 10 bhp, then in a 200 bhp car that’s 5% variation..consensus from most tuners is that you will struggle to see that (outside of a dyno / highly structured test track ) unless it affects the shape of the torque / bhp curves…

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:12 pm
I’m not sure the valvetronic system can cycle with the engine turned off as it relies on oil pressure to operate? :?
Rob
Valvetronic motor changes the exhaust valve timing, bolted above exhaust on the N52 engine.
Someone on YT replaced their cars motor and did the 10 second ignition on to cycle it, i suppose so it can find the end stops.
I put ignition on can hear a motor winding in and out.
My car certainly received an instant tune up.

abar121

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by abar121 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 pm

Doesn't the A/C compressor turn off when the car thinks it's wide open? Most cars do this as well as for heat management.

These days, your car would have to be pretty slow and gutless to notice it on part throttle.

Yonks ago I thought the A/C on my MX5 was faulty. I was crossing Germany at the time and without much traffic, was well above a ton. The car thought it was flat out (or close enough), so kept turning the A/C off. Glad I found out the reason, before submitting a warranty claim!
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:45 pm

abar121 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 pm Doesn't the A/C compressor turn off when the car thinks it's wide open? Most cars do this as well as for heat management.
No they don't. :thumbsup:
abar121 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 pm The car thought it was flat out (or close enough), so kept turning the A/C off.

No it didn't.
The a/c compressor is controlled by a) the a/c button and b) the pressures switches on the refrigerant lines. That is all. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:34 pm

flybobbie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:44 pm
Smartbear wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:12 pm
Rob
Valvetronic motor changes the exhaust valve timing, bolted above exhaust on the N52 engine.
Someone on YT replaced their cars motor and did the 10 second ignition on to cycle it, i suppose so it can find the end stops.
I put ignition on can hear a motor winding in and out.
My car certainly received an instant tune up.
You’re right, I’m confusing valvetronic with vanos :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mcbutler

Aircon on effect tuning?

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:20 am

tomscott wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:30 am If you've got the top down there's no need for aircon :P
The voice of sanity and climate protection, I salute you sir :D
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather