Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Angel Eye LED Bulbs

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Angel Eye LED Bulbs

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:55 am

So I decided to replace the old halogen Angel Eye bulbs with some nice bright LED ones a few years ago, so ordered a cheap pair from WISH (yes, I know). They weren't marked as for the E89 but with a bit of struggling I did get them to fit and they were very good. They had the fan on the rear to keep them cooled down. So they cost a whopping £22 with shipping and have lasted just over 2 years until one blew last week.
Now the worrying thing here is that I didn't get a bulb-out warning for this one blowing, should I have had? If so then I can only assume that it didn't show because the fan was still working and thus keeping the circuit "active".

Anyway I've replaced them with a pair from the UK that don't have fans on and are just as bright, lets hope they last at least as long. :driving:

Now I know that there are a few out there that prefer the more expensive ones that are normally recommended on here (LUX I believe), but it's like I don't need to pay well over £1000 for the latest iPhone just to make calls and surf the net, I can do that for a lot less! No offence meant, but you simply don't know how long an LED is going to last, you just hope it lasts a decent amount of time :D and all you really want is the nice LED white glow to show.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

gusTaco

Angel Eye LED Bulbs

Post by gusTaco » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm

How's the outer ring ilumination?

I purchased the Fizzmo H8 (pricey at around £75), and whilst they look great in low light / grey days they look abysmal on very bright days!

AnubisZed

Angel Eye LED Bulbs

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:35 pm

gusTaco wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm How's the outer ring ilumination?

I purchased the Fizzmo H8 (pricey at around £75), and whilst they look great in low light / grey days they look abysmal on very bright days!
I fitted mine on a very sunny day and although the outer one isn't as bright it was decent.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Silverstar

Angel Eye LED Bulbs

Post by Silverstar » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 pm

When the Osram halogen bulb blew on the left side I did get a bulb failure warning so as you say must have something to do with power being consumed by the fan.

I changed the Osram to Novsight N30 LED bulbs, which are super bright and light up both inner and outer ring really well, visible even in bright sunlight, although they cost a little more. I covered this in my thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129141
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red