Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scan tool advice please !

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
304frp

Post by 304frp » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi all , any advice on a suitable scan tool , I have to replace my rear brakes on the zed ,any advice on a suitable scan tool to do the e-brake , would prefer one that would suit other cars etc :D
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

bg1

Post by bg1 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:21 pm

304frp wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:44 pm Hi all , any advice on a suitable scan tool , I have to replace my rear brakes on the zed ,any advice on a suitable scan tool to do the e-brake , would prefer one that would suit other cars etc :D
Search?

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:42 pm

I have , but wondered if any recommendations would sway my thinking ,ie foxwell, Carly , etc. Or ones to completely avoid .
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:03 pm

myself and a few others have the autophix 5900, been faultless so far for me :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:25 pm

Foxwell 510/520/530 family are good and support multiple manufacturers for a fee..

One down from BMWs super complicated tools is Bimmergeeks Protool but it’s only modern BMWs..

Being me I have both …

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Don't need tool for eBrake, but can make resetting counter easier.
I have, having looked earlier and played with it, the Foxwell NT520 pro, has been very useful.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:30 am

mr.tourette wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:03 pm myself and a few others have the autophix 5900, been faultless so far for me :thumbsup:
Me too. Very simple to use which is handy for us dinosaurs. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:21 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:30 am
mr.tourette wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:03 pm myself and a few others have the autophix 5900, been faultless so far for me :thumbsup:
Me too. Very simple to use which is handy for us dinosaurs. :thumbsup:
Got one of these also (registered battery with it) £67 on Amazon

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am

I had been considering these readers as posted, my particular fault had been an EPS warning and couldn't find any links if these readers actually read EPS errors so ended up downloading INPA on the laptop. It's a bit clunky in operation but it does read all the codes and resets them.

Can somebody confirm if EPS codes are readable on these gizmos?
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:46 am

Zforbes wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am I had been considering these readers as posted, my particular fault had been an EPS warning and couldn't find any links if these readers actually read EPS errors so ended up downloading INPA on the laptop. It's a bit clunky in operation but it does read all the codes and resets them.

You’ll find the ‘fidelity’ of resolving errors diminishes with the cheaper broader range products..

That’s why ISTA etc is the gold standard…

Bimmergeeks Protool comes a close second but then the rest struggle with more esoteric issues…

So far IMHO. Bimmergeeks has picked up every fault that ISTA has..but lacks access to detailed history only current events.

Foxwell couldn’t solve more complex Volvo engine issue as an example .

My local garage has a complex general purpose diagnostic tool and that struggles with more complex manufacturer specific issues…

As I said I have both Foxwell and Protool..95% of the time both are OK but for some of the weirder things Protool has the edge..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 am

Zforbes wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am I had been considering these readers as posted, my particular fault had been an EPS warning and couldn't find any links if these readers actually read EPS errors so ended up downloading INPA on the laptop. It's a bit clunky in operation but it does read all the codes and resets them.

I can confirm the Autophix does wind back the EPB for pad replacement, but not sure if it reads/resets errors. Sorry, not able to check right now.
Pbondar, is correct in what he implies though, and I believe it boils down to how much you want to diagnose and rectify yourself.
I quickly reach my limits when it all starts getting into software and electronics, so in my case a tool that can tell me which greasy bits need changing is fine. I do accept though that knowing what the codes are, how to reset them etc could save you being scammed by a garage.
I have focused on using the Autophix to look for faults I know are there. It would take a while to sit with it and go through everything it may possibly do...............and even then I'd forget.
If you haven't received an answer by end of play today, i will get to the car and see if I can work it out for you.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 am

I can confirm the Autophix does wind back the EPB for pad replacement, but not sure if it reads/resets errors. Sorry, not able to check right now.
Pbondar, is correct in what he implies though, and I believe it boils down to how much you want to diagnose and rectify yourself.
I quickly reach my limits when it all starts getting into software and electronics, so in my case a tool that can tell me which greasy bits need changing is fine. I do accept though that knowing what the codes are, how to reset them etc could save you being scammed by a garage.
I have focused on using the Autophix to look for faults I know are there. It would take a while to sit with it and go through everything it may possibly do...............and even then I'd forget.
If you haven't received an answer by end of play today, i will get to the car and see if I can work it out for you.
Another plus for things like Protool is that you can do factory coding and toggle options which the simple code readers can't do and exceed those of Carly etc... :driving: :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:59 am

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 am
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 am

Another plus for things like Protool is that you can do factory coding and toggle options which the simple code readers can't do and exceed those of Carly etc... :driving: :thumbsup:
Good point. :thumbsup:

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback to my question, hope this helps with the OPs decision on what tool he needs to get.

My use of this is more about understanding what is going on with my car to understand the correct remedial actions rather than doing advanced mechanics myself. I'm open to have a go at repairs as long as I have the correct tools and environment to do it.

For the amount of occasions I'm hoping to use it then I'll probably stick with what I've got unless one of these boxes does read everything. :thumbsup:
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

304frp

Post by 304frp » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Thanks for the reply’s , good food for thought :driving:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone