Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iDrive CIC Controller

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
LeePreston

iDrive CIC Controller

Post by LeePreston » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:37 am

Hi - the CIC controller in my Z is badly marked and I’m looking to replace it.

Having done some research, alternatives from the F range are not compatible, but I’m not sure whether any controllers from an E range car would be?

Has anyone successfully used a controller from a different BMW? I’ve not been able to find a Z4 replacement, and was hoping that this might be answer

Thanks in advance

mcbutler

iDrive CIC Controller

Post by mcbutler » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 am

LeePreston wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:37 am Hi - the CIC controller in my Z is badly marked and I’m looking to replace it.

Having done some research, alternatives from the F range are not compatible, but I’m not sure whether any controllers from an E range car would be?

Has anyone successfully used a controller from a different BMW? I’ve not been able to find a Z4 replacement, and was hoping that this might be answer

Thanks in advance
If you search on ali express etc you will find replacements/covers for the iDrive controller.

Example - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... web201603_
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

AnubisZed

iDrive CIC Controller

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 am

Any CIC controller from an E series should fit, definitely the E9x, E7x and E8x are the same. The only difference is the surrounding cage that mounts it into the console and these clip off so not a problem. There are two button types, and it's the top left one that is different, one says CD and the other says MEDIA, but they both do the same job.
Hope that helps.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

LeePreston

iDrive CIC Controller

Post by LeePreston » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:43 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 am Any CIC controller from an E series should fit, definitely the E9x, E7x and E8x are the same. The only difference is the surrounding cage that mounts it into the console and these clip off so not a problem. There are two button types, and it's the top left one that is different, one says CD and the other says MEDIA, but they both do the same job.
Hope that helps.
Thanks AubisZed. Just to confirm though, any controller for an F range vehicle will not work in the E89? Found lots of these for sale, and much cheaper too.

AnubisZed

iDrive CIC Controller

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:45 pm

LeePreston wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:43 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 am Any CIC controller from an E series should fit, definitely the E9x, E7x and E8x are the same. The only difference is the surrounding cage that mounts it into the console and these clip off so not a problem. There are two button types, and it's the top left one that is different, one says CD and the other says MEDIA, but they both do the same job.
Hope that helps.
Thanks AubisZed. Just to confirm though, any controller for an F range vehicle will not work in the E89? Found lots of these for sale, and much cheaper too.
You are correct, the F series ones will not work in an E series car, different systems.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q