Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake upgrade options

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
jenniferlouise

Brake upgrade options

Post by jenniferlouise » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:28 pm

Hi all, newbie jenniferlouise here… hoping that some of you good people can signpost me to the best threads in the forum to learn about E89 braking component upgrade options.

My 23i is in need of new discs anyway and the standard fit discs and callipers look a bit pathetic inside the 19” upgraded alloys. Possibly a personal thing but I feel it’s letting it down. Parked next to a 1 series diesel today sporting twin piston M Sport blue front calliper with matching rear and sulked a little.

I’ve been researching through a US (I think) forum ZPost which has a helpful list of compatible OEM solutions that plug & play. I’ve already priced a 2-series BMW Performance kit with Barons (clearly advised by helpful parts guy that they cannot guarantee fit). This gives me 370mm discs and 6 piston yellow callipers (very keen on this for my black car). But, the quoted kit includes rear callipers too, and helpful US forum says NO - the e-brake to the rear cannot be made compatible with manual handbrake solutions.

So, keen to hear what others have done. I have a budget. Ideally I’d like to stay OEM (conscious there is no specific kit for Z4) but would consider an alternative.

Thanks for any help. I don’t FaceBook but Jennifer does and is seeking any insight through local groups. I thought I’d come straight here… feel free to add any links, comments, warnings, pictures, suppliers and supply/fit options.

Jakg

Brake upgrade options

Post by Jakg » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:35 pm

The rears will be problematic, but for the fronts your best option is probably the blue calipers you saw on the 1-series.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Brake upgrade options

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:05 pm

Peter Pbondar, for one has done a thread on this, there are several others

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=123860&hilit=Bbk+PBondar

I think Peter may also have a spare set of refurbished brakes of some description

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

jenniferlouise

Brake upgrade options

Post by jenniferlouise » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 am

Thanks guys really appreciate the fast responses. The post by Pbondar is definitely of interest. I’ve followed some of the links and have just emailed Cotswold BMW for an updated price on the 34110444738 front kit (from the 330i). I’ll also contact Peter to see what else I may need to know. Happy to take other suggestions and recommendations.

Pbondar

Brake upgrade options

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:29 am

jenniferlouise wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 am Thanks guys really appreciate the fast responses. The post by Pbondar is definitely of interest. I’ve followed some of the links and have just emailed Cotswold BMW for an updated price on the 34110444738 front kit (from the 330i). I’ll also contact Peter to see what else I may need to know. Happy to take other suggestions and recommendations.
    Will be worth contacting Sopers in Lincoln they are giving reasonable discounts to Forum members if you ask nicely!

jenniferlouise

Brake upgrade options

Post by jenniferlouise » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:05 pm

Thanks, I will def try Sopers. Cotswold have already responded to an email and I await their suggestion and pricing. A