Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Disc check

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
baz-j

Disc check

Post by baz-j » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:42 pm

When my zed went in last month to have its suspension sorted out Berry BMW Thames Ditton said the front discs were pitted and need changing. Thought it would be wise to ask you lot if they are being cheeky or not. One photo as both discs are looking the same.

The printout is messed up as it mentions front pads/discs twice and has therefore mislabelled the rears. Anyway, the car service status says 10000 miles for rear pads and 24000 miles for front pads.

I assume the measurement against the pads is in mm, is that right?

Also, if the discs do need changing how are those prices for a pair of discs (£513.92 inc VAT) and pads (£198.56 inc VAT) ?
Attachments
front disc.jpg
front disc.jpg (105.14 KiB) Viewed 460 times
brake report.jpg
brake report.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 460 times
2013 E89 Midnight Blue 35is - iDrive, Cruise, PDC, Auto Aircon, Pro HiFi

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Disc check

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 pm

they don't look too bad too me from your picture, sometimes hard to tell without running your finger over them to see if there's deep grooves in them but I'd certainly be looking for a 2nd opinion. If nothing was mentioned on your last mot chances are they are fine
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Disc check

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:13 pm

To be fair though, you've only shown the outer faces.
I had an issue with a different car a few years ago where the outsides looked fine, but the inner faces were shot to pieces. Something to do with the outers being protected by the wheel, but the inners getting all the salt and wet thrown onto them.
So check the inner faces too.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jasonn

Disc check

Post by Jasonn » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:30 pm

I had the same with Stephen James BMW in Enfield, - both sets were "dangerous" and vehicle shouldn't be driven - odd as car was 3 years old and had around 30k on the clock, knew they were talking crap as I'd looked over the car before it went in for their "service"

Jasonn

Disc check

Post by Jasonn » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Sorry pressed post too soon - took car straight round to the indy who does my zed (this was in my wife's x3 which had the "dangerous" brakes with a quote of £500 per axle. Indy looked at them, said loads of wear left all round and no damage, when I told him about stealers quote he put it on the ramps to show me. I got him to change the pads anyway (despite him saying it wasn't necessary - £280 all round with Brembo pads) - just so I could take the dangerous pads back into the stealer and publicly make my displeasure heard.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Disc check

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Jasonn wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm I got him to change the pads anyway (despite him saying it wasn't necessary - £280 all round with Brembo pads) - just so I could take the dangerous pads back into the stealer and publicly make my displeasure heard.
So you spent £280 to give yourself 2 minutes of gratification and the dealer wouldn't give a toss anyway? I know of ladies who will do that for a lot less :D

OP; I was quoted £520 inclusive for new discs and pads and sensors all round on mine by a BMW indy. The 35 will be a bit more than mine but not that much! I ended up doing it myself.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pbondar

Disc check

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Today on Autodoc (well known supplier of OE quality BMW parts)

35is front discs £67-£145 each
35is rear discs £27- £55 each
Front pads £14-£30 set
Rear pads £16-£20 set
Brake wear sensors £30 set

So parts wise you could do the fronts for around £160 and rears for £85
Obviously labour charges at a BMW main dealer are outrageous..

IMHO best find a good indy and work with him on parts and servicing!

Jasonn

Disc check

Post by Jasonn » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:00 pm

[/quote]
So you spent £280 to give yourself 2 minutes of gratification and the dealer wouldn't give a toss anyway? I know of ladies who will do that for a lot less :D
[/quote]

Not really, it was my wife's car, with my way of driving they probably had 6 months worth of wear.
I normally check the pads once a month but my wife was worried because 'that's what the dealer said' and I just didn't want the grief from her - having a go at the manager when they're nice and busy was just a bonus

mcbutler

Disc check

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Nothing wrong with that brake face at all - what about the back?
You could buy a really good upgrade set for that money, DBA grooved front discs and EBC grooved rears with EBC redstuff pads.
DO NOT pay anyone that much cash for standard brakes
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Deepseaskateboard

Disc check

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:34 pm

New discs and pads + sensors all around can be fitted for about £370 (parts included if sourced from the internet)

Look for offers and discount codes for 50% off brakes.
A good indy will fit supplied parts, and maybe for cash if you know them!