Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash cam

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Chippie

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:40 pm

A little advice please

Considering a dash cam for the Zed,
Blackvue DR750S-2CH (16GB) Front & Rear Dash Cam Wi-Fi GPS Full HD

I take it this has 2 separate cameras, has anyone any recommendations for fitting the rear view camera (position)
Or is there a dash cam that mounts to the rear view mirror/windscreen that views front and rear in one unit

Any other recommendations?

Cheers Mick
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:22 pm

I’m thinking about one too. I want rear view more for when it’s parked up and the one BMW have offered to fit says front only.

I’m sure one of the blackvue ones has both in a cylindrical shape that has a front and rear facing camera in the one unit that attaches to the windscreen. What I’m also sure I read, but can’t for the life of me find it again, was that in the E89 because it’s so tight at the back the rear had a very limited view and also if you left the wind deflector in it was even worse, to the point of useless.

The G29 has an even smaller rear view, I asked about getting the rear camera on the roll hoops and tbf, they said possibly but they wouldn’t do it incase it looks untidy/awful so I’ve sort of discounted and am looking at a Garmin W65 front facing only.

I’ll be watching your thread with interest to see if I can get any ideas :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

PointedMarlin

Dash cam

Post by PointedMarlin » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:54 pm

I had also considered a dashcam & was looking at this model
    I have YouTube’d it to check real life reviews plus video footage

I’m umming & ahhring because I don’t know how obtrusive they are on the front windscreen plus I’d want it wired in & I have no idea how expensive that would be to get fitted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQP-3840x2160P ... 165&sr=1-4

I’m also following this thread with interest & I'm based in Sutton Coldfield West Midlands if anyone can recommend a fitter

Zforbes

Dash cam

Post by Zforbes » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:00 pm

I fit a Nextbase to my Audi a few years ago before the market was flooded with higher end brands, good quality playback and no issues with it whatsoever, I've recently fitted in in my E89, didn't want the fuss or untidyness of wiring a rear view so just bought hardwire kit and in it went.

As a compromise, I've just fitted a Nextbase 322GW with cabin view to my Dads VW Tiguan. It's not perfect on the rear view aspect but Im confident in the event of an accident it will be adequate to determine who's at fault.

It might not be as wizzy as seome of the expensive brands but it really does take a good 1080p recording and includes software for playback with GPS location speed and everything you might want to delete is required :tumbleweed:

Sure there will be a few youtube clips showing what recordings are like if you fancy going that way.
    E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

mcbutler

Dash cam

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:22 am

I have a nextbase 522GW with the plug in rear view module.
    Gives great footage - when it works.
    Its actually my third camera the first one got so hot it was a serious fire risk, when i took it back to Halfords to complain the guy said "really, lets have a look" then he went to grab it and then he said "s**t" - that hot!!!
    Second one just locked up all the time, especially if park mode enabled, nextbase gave metheri top size memory card and another camera.
    This ones ok but by no means reliable.

On the subject of memory cards in dash cams - the architecture of an off the shelf SD Card does not like repeated writing/erasing. The NextBase cards apparently have a different build, which accounts for the cost...
    Mark
    Plymouth
    E89
    35i
    Carmine Red
    Black leather

jabber
    Lifer
    Lifer

Dash cam

Post by jabber » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:35 am

I once had a blackvue front and rear dashcam can’t remember the model but iirc it cost in the region of £170 had lots of problems with it locking up eventually gave up with it and went for a nextbase 400 front view only and it has been working great for a couple of years reasonably cheap as well. The only problem I have had is with the memory cards you definitely need a quality make.
    Z less again
    14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
    10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
    Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:40 am

PointedMarlin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:54 pm I had also considered a dashcam & was looking at this model
    I have YouTube’d it to check real life reviews plus video footage

I’m umming & ahhring because I don’t know how obtrusive they are on the front windscreen plus I’d want it wired in & I have no idea how expensive that would be to get fitted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQP-3840x2160P ... 165&sr=1-4

I’m also following this thread with interest & I'm based in Sutton Coldfield West Midlands if anyone can recommend a fitter
    Martin, these people have had quite a few recommendations on here. I see they also do a price match and fit at work or home :thumbsup:

https://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/acatalog/t ... tions.html

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zforbes

Dash cam

Post by Zforbes » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 am

mcbutler wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:22 am I have a nextbase 522GW with the plug in rear view module.
      Gives great footage - when it works.
      Its actually my third camera the first one got so hot it was a serious fire risk, when i took it back to Halfords to complain the guy said "really, lets have a look" then he went to grab it and then he said "s**t" - that hot!!!
      Second one just locked up all the time, especially if park mode enabled, nextbase gave metheri top size memory card and another camera.
      This ones ok but by no means reliable.

On the subject of memory cards in dash cams - the architecture of an off the shelf SD Card does not like repeated writing/erasing. The NextBase cards apparently have a different build, which accounts for the cost...
      Just googled that about getting hot, seems to be more common with the newer / higher end Nextbase cameras, my older 312GW doesn't get hot, my dad hasn't mentioned his 322GW getting hot either though.

As for memery cards, I've used a Kingston 32GB with mine, same card for years, I've probably reformatted a hand full of times max.
      E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

clarker63

Dash cam

Post by clarker63 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:42 am

After looking at reviews on here I went for a A129 Pro Dual Dash Cam with a Front & Rear camera. Its not cheap though if you go for the hi res one. I got mine from https://viofouk.co.uk/. the front camera fits nicely behind the mirror, and the rear I have put into the passenger roll bar hoop on a custom cradle I made. I had to remove the mesh (although its hardly noticeable), and run the cable under the plastic cover. It doesn't appear to make it more windy for the passenger.. As normal, the worst part is getting to the fuse box.. and struggling with the concertina design..
      Attachments
      20210116_154600.jpg
      20210116_154600.jpg (127.6 KiB) Viewed 741 times
      35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

PointedMarlin

Dash cam

Post by PointedMarlin » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:07 am

I’m interested in what people have done to mount the cams as well

A lot of people I know who own them have theirs suctioned cupped to the windshield but I like the idea of ‘hiding’ it behind the rear view mirror if this is an option which is why I liked the look of that Amazon one I posted above as I figured you could hide it & it didn’t look too big

clarker63

Dash cam

Post by clarker63 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:16 am

this is mine, I dont even know its there except for the funny noise it makes on startup/shutdown...
      Attachments
      20210602_101454.jpg
      20210602_101454.jpg (180.68 KiB) Viewed 729 times

craig3.2
      Lifer
      Lifer

Dash cam

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:34 am

Can only comment on the one I got my Dad about 3 or 4 years ago,a Nextbase front only one,and its been perfectly reliable, as he uses it every time he is out in his car.
      It never gets hot or has any issues with locking up/freezing or parking mode.
      Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
      Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Beeacon

Dash cam

Post by Beeacon » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:18 pm

I have the same as Clarker63 and have nothing but positive feedback for it, mine was the A129 dashcam front and back. Running the cables yourself isn't too difficult. I mounted the rear dashcam upside down to make fitment easier, and there is a handy tool in the VIOFO app allowing you to flip the image for playback.

My front camera is hidden on the passenger side behind the rear-view mirror, don't even notice its there (startup jingle turned off in the app). With regard to hiding the dashcam, someone mentioned adding some black vinyl near the rear-view mirror to mask the suction in a previous thread. Just search 'vinyl dashcam' and I'm sure it will come up.

I have some decent footage keeping an Aston Martin DB11 honest somewhere. I just need to figure out how to upload it now.

Other useful threads:
      viewtopic.php?f=23&t=109239
      viewtopic.php?f=46&t=111268
      Current: Still thinking...
      Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
      Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

clarker63

Dash cam

Post by clarker63 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:24 pm

Beeacon wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:18 pm I have the same as
      it was your positive comments that made me go for it! :thumbsup:

Chippie

Dash cam

Post by Chippie » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:31 pm

Thanks all for your comments and advice, I will have a look at the ones recommend :thumbsup:
      Mick
      E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather