Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mid-life crisis car?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:08 pm
Zedebee wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:07 pm
BeeEmm wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:55 pm It's just something for people to say, an ice-breaker if you like as Nictrix suggests. It really is a very old saying though. The true clue to a mid-life crisis is when you start running and if you then join a running club, you are definitely having an affair. :D
... or looking for one.
Really?
If I took up running I'd be too knackered for an affair!
And that’s just getting to the car to drive there :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zed Baron

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Zed Baron » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:53 pm

I ran every day for years and know I have knackered knees.... buy a Z its less painful :thumbsup:

BeeEmm

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:51 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:08 pm Really?
    Exactly, no mid-life crisis there then. :)
    I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Nanu » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:11 pm

Is there such a thing as an older life crisis that we can have?
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:18 pm

I don't know - but if there is maybe I've already got the car for one. :lol:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

AndyBeech

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by AndyBeech » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:30 pm

Don't get mid life crisis comments, then I am only 30's! I do often get from the neighbour/s comments like 'you and that car' and 'washing that car *AGAIN*?'. It's always with that undertone of have you got nothing better to do or bit sad always messing with your car. Reality is I don't even wash it that often probably compared to some, maybe once a month or when it's really dirty. I do the odd bit of maintenance though more often.

Strange really, I don't walk past, glance at them and go, 'oh doing gardening *AGAIN*?' or pop in their house and say 'oh watching Netflix *AGAIN*?' like I would care what they do with their time. Always polite about it of course and make a joke out of it, think some people find car's as a hobby a strange thing for some reason. :roll:
    Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:56 pm

Strange hobby is origami not cars - I find people who have gardening as a hobby strange, all work and no enjoyment that I can see :rofl:
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 pm

You're right - it's not even cars as a hobby!

My allocated parking spaces are in an area shared by 10 to 12 houses and there is only 1 neighbour I ever see doing anything to his car.

The rest seem to have no interest in their cars whatsoever - never check oil & other fluids and just rely on the MOT to identify blown bulbs, worn-out wiper blades, etc. :headbang:

But then they probably wouldn't have a clue how to even do those sort of basics. The sooner they have autonomous EVs the better for the rest of us!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:14 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:30 pm Strange really, I don't walk past, glance at them and go, 'oh doing gardening *AGAIN*?'
    Very good point. The next door neighbour I eluded to at the start of this was trimming the grass borders on his postage stamp front garden with a pair of scissors just before he made the comment. I missed the chance to say something clever about that (it wouldn't have worked cos he's got the personality of a wheelie bin). And his wife is ugly! :lol:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:18 pm

Very good point. The next door neighbour I eluded to at the start of this was trimming the grass borders on his postage stamp front garden with a pair of scissors just before he made the comment. I missed the chance to say something clever about that (it wouldn't have worked cos he's got the personality of a wheelie bin). And his wife is ugly! :lol:
    [/quote]

I would have a few things to say such as cant you afford a strimmer or trying to save a few quid on leccy to buy a zed are we :D
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:52 pm

On reflection I think I should take the "mid-life crisis" comments as a compliment. Next to the Z4 on the driveway is my gleaming Focus ST estate. That is faster, noisier, and was more expensive than the Z4, but because it looks like any other mainstream estate car, it gets ignored. The Z4 is "different" so attracts attention in one form of another. All publicity is good publicity.
    I also have a bigger house and garden than him, am 15 years younger than him and have retired earlier than him. If I were to be cynical, this may have something to do with it. :o
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Stevo1987

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Stevo1987 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:08 pm
    Zedebee wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:07 pm
    BeeEmm wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:55 pm It's just something for people to say, an ice-breaker if you like as Nictrix suggests. It really is a very old saying though. The true clue to a mid-life crisis is when you start running and if you then join a running club, you are definitely having an affair. :D
    ... or looking for one.
    Really?
    I don't do running. I struggle at walking.
    2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
    2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:15 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:52 pm bigger house and garden than him, am 15 years younger than him and have retired earlier than him. If I were to be cynical, this may have something to do with it.
    You’ll be in trouble boy, you never added “and my wife’s not ugly” :poke: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Silverstar

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Silverstar » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:28 pm

I think mid life crisis only applies if all you have ever had in the past are sensible hatchbacks / saloons but if like me you have always had sports / performance cars that's another story. I am lucky I have never been told that, probably because I don't look anywhere near my age. :rofl:
      2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:04 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:15 pm You’ll be in trouble boy, you never added “and my wife’s not ugly”
      I'm a lot of things Andrew, but I'm not a liar :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Mazda3 sold