Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mid-life crisis car?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Ratcatcher

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Ratcatcher » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:17 am

Im well aware of how i look in my Z4 but i couldnt really give a hoots tbh. My Dad instilled in me the value of hard work and making sure everything is sorted and paid for before 'wasting' money on frivolous toys. Unfortunately he always hankered after a porsche and now hes 74, he'll never own one plus after seeing a couple of guys at work pass away, i came to the inevitable conclusion that lifes too short and i dont want a long list of regrets before its too late. Cue a shiny new addition to the stable!!!
“Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” ― Douglas Bader

tiglon

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by tiglon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:35 am

Haha apologies for any offence caused!

Nothing wrong with being a poser... but let's be honest, the only reason for buying a massive premium brand SUV is to tell everyone you have lots of money. Take the coupe version of a Mercedes GLE for example - what does it do better than an E class estate other than satisfy the innate desire to show everyone else you're bigger and better than them?

You can make a case for a convertible and/or sports car having an intrinsic enjoyment factor that isn't just showing off - can anyone do the same for a BMW X6?

For me I enjoy a convertible sports car most on a deserted mountain path - no one to see me, no one to pose for, no one to impress, just enjoying the car. Conversely, the X6 is in it's element getting one up on the other mum's at the school gate.

Nothing wrong with that at all, I'd happily own and drive a X5 or X6, but it is what it is. Let's not pretend it's anything different.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:56 am

tiglon wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:35 am Haha apologies for any offence caused!

Nothing wrong with being a poser... but let's be honest, the only reason for buying a massive premium brand SUV is to tell everyone you have lots of money. Take the coupe version of a Mercedes GLE for example - what does it do better than an E class estate other than satisfy the innate desire to show everyone else you're bigger and better than them?

You can make a case for a convertible and/or sports car having an intrinsic enjoyment factor that isn't just showing off - can anyone do the same for a BMW X6?

For me I enjoy a convertible sports car most on a deserted mountain path - no one to see me, no one to pose for, no one to impress, just enjoying the car. Conversely, the X6 is in it's element getting one up on the other mum's at the school gate.

Nothing wrong with that at all, I'd happily own and drive a X5 or X6, but it is what it is. Let's not pretend it's anything different.
:? :?
I have an X6 :) Dont have kids either but do pass by the school gate every day :lol:
I get everything that you are saying but you could say exactly the same for every car above a Fiat Panda, they all do the same job.
This is where peoples preferences come into play and people buy what they like the look of or they want a bit more comfort etc.
I have to say that I have many thousands of miles under my belt in the X6 and have loved every single one as it gets you from A to B in comfort easily and although not as nimble as most cars its absolutely brilliant to drive.
You could actually say that in practical terms the X6 is way more use than a Z4 and as for posing with so many cars growing in size things like X5s and X6s etc do not stand out like an open top 2 seater.
And if anybody buys a car to impress people they will quickly find someone else with a car better than theirs.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Zed Baron

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:06 pm

Too true... I took my Z to a meeting with a new client (looks better than my 1.0 puddle jumper), only one space left in their car park... in-between a Bentley Continental and a Ferrari California, there's always a bigger fish! :rofl:

tiglon

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by tiglon » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:11 pm

I drove the boss's Range Rover yesterday. It was bloody lovely, felt like floating around on a cloud in near silence, and impressively composed in the corners. My only criticism is that a V8 yacht could probably do with better brakes, but I would definitely own one if I had the money.

I withdraw any previous criticism (perceived or actual) of Range Rovers and apologise wholeheartedly!
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Zed Baron

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:20 pm

tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:11 pm I withdraw any previous criticism (perceived or actual) of Range Rovers and apologise wholeheartedly!
One of my clients has got the new shape Range Rover sport with the Overfinch kit and alloys. One of the wheels is slowly deflating... yes its cracked, now Overfinch don't sell alloys on their own, you have to buy a full set £8.5k! Makes Z4 cracked alloys look trifling :x

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Nictrix » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:44 pm

tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:11 pm I withdraw any previous criticism (perceived or actual) of Range Rovers and apologise wholeheartedly!
Only Range Rovers though :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only thing I dont like about my X6 is that because of its size I find it difficult to find parking spaces sometimes that I can put it in and open the doors :lol:
Oh, and the tyres are really expensive. :(

tiglon

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by tiglon » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:44 pm
The only thing I dont like about my X6 is that because of its size I find it difficult to find parking spaces sometimes that I can put it in and open the doors :lol:
I'll assume all luxury 4x4's are just as lovely and extend my apology to them! I was surprised that the RR didn't feel very big to drive - but I do have a bad memory from years ago of trying to park a customers left hand drive RR, with them in the back seats, in a very small car park, when I'd never driven anything larger than a Vauxhall Astra.

Can't you climb out of the generously sized boot after parking?

mcbutler

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by mcbutler » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:09 pm

blunderthumbs wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:16 pm I hate it when people refer to my Zed as a hairdressers car :headbang: :x :censored:
On last years lake district run a bunch of lycra clad, leg shaving, road hogging freaks called our 'convoy' a ''hairdressers convention'.
Cant take any comment seriously from a dozen freaks on bicycles with less than 1ml of testosterone between them.
:evil:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Nictrix » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:33 pm

tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:04 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:44 pm
I'll assume all luxury 4x4's are just as lovely and extend my apology to them! I was surprised that the RR didn't feel very big to drive - but I do have a bad memory from years ago of trying to park a customers left hand drive RR, with them in the back seats, in a very small car park, when I'd never driven anything larger than a Vauxhall Astra.

Can't you climb out of the generously sized boot after parking?
:lol: Probably could but I always reverse into spaces

ihadablackdog

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Had a guy at work this morning ask me if my car was a mid life crisis.

He then said I should’ve bought a Z4 instead of a Z3 :rofl:
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:11 pm

Fiancée's son in law asked me that when I bought the 718 Boxster, so I asked him if 3 MR2's for over twenty years and bikes for over 40, what made him think it was either mid life or a crisis?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Jameszy

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Jameszy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:36 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:09 pm
blunderthumbs wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:16 pm I hate it when people refer to my Zed as a hairdressers car :headbang: :x :censored:
On last years lake district run a bunch of lycra clad, leg shaving, road hogging freaks called our 'convoy' a ''hairdressers convention'.
Cant take any comment seriously from a dozen freaks on bicycles with less than 1ml of testosterone between them.
:evil:
Most cyclists hate those types too - it’s a really odd cross section of the sport. Most are out there to have fun (like us), but some just seem permanently angry and cars, other cyclists, pedestrians and probably themselves.

Wildfire

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:41 pm

I've always had sports cars, aside from my tuned 998 mini (1038). A mate said " we'll know when you have a mid-life crisis. You'll buy a Vespa."
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

zriha

Mid-life crisis car?

Post by zriha » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:32 am

Well, I have 38 on my back, living with my girlfriend (no kids yet), I don't know how mid-life crisis will look like, but I drive from 18, I had several Mazda MX-5, Elise, Grand Cherokee, I drove drift challenges with Ae86, and now I have Z4, a Mini and Vespa... I don't know how mid-life crisis looks like. :D :D
Current fleet
BMW Z4 (E85) 2.5i 5-speed manual
Mini Cooper S JCW F56
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Signals (Marsh Grey)