Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Input on a Z4 E89?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
BastiColler

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by BastiColler » Mon May 31, 2021 6:11 am

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2012/2013 Z4 35i/35is DCT early next year. I was hoping if there were any owners or others that had experience with a E89 Z4 that would chime in. I would love to hear some opinions and comments.

I currently drive a '17 STi stg 2+. I previously had a '13 BRZ also full bolt on. Reason I'm looking at a Z4 is, I want a smaller tighter car like the BRZ, but convertible, and with potential for more power than the STi. Also a nicer interior.

Points that I would much appreciate if you commented on:

As a daily, I have access to my GF's car and other SUVs so not an issue having a roadster. But just overall how is it as a daily?

As a sports car, how is the power, steering, traction, suspension?

Interior?

Any issues?

I was researching aftermarket options but as expected they are insufficient...

Thank you for your time.

PointedMarlin

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by PointedMarlin » Mon May 31, 2021 8:48 am

Hi & welcome to the forum.

I’m new to Z4 ownership & own an 11 plate E89 so can give you my perspectives based on direct comparisons with a basic A3 & a fully specced Range Rover Evoque as my other dailies

Boot space is fine for me on the Zed but all I’m throwing in is a laptop or a few folders … if I was needing to transport suits in dust covers for example I’d take the Evoque & lay them out on the back seat or boot
I will use the Evoque for tip runs

Options again for me as a daily the Zed has everything I need & want & beats my Audi hands down but if I was being picky the Evoque has a sensor that warns me via a beep when a speed camera is coming up. As a daily to work I know the roads though so it’s only an advantage when roads are unknown. The heated seats win on the Zed over the Evoque

Sound system on the Zed is am/fm single CD player … do I miss my DAB country hits (yes) but I stick a cd on in the Zed so it’s hardly a deal breaker

More people are impressed with the Zed than either the Audi or Evoque & like to drive right up behind you to get a really good look :roll:

My biggest issue is that I really notice the state of the roads in the Zed - the Evoque doesn’t really feel the bumps at all - obviously I’m not aiming for them - roads in my part of the world are quite bad & I’d never really noticed before the Zed

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon May 31, 2021 9:08 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As a sports car - if you want a pure driving experience there are better cars out there but the e89 is not that bad once off run flats (biggest issue), for me even though I have a baby engined 23i, it does all I want with ease, its quick enough, reasonable economy and looks great even though I have cash strapped white (one of the better colours IMHO) :D

The 35i has normal suspension while the 35iS has the adaptive suspension so can be set as you want, not sure on steering but power wise the 35iS is not going to disappoint unless you come from something with a price tag 5 times greater I would imagine.

The e89 is fine as a daily driver, it can take a travel bag if you are going abroad (plane), or a couple of large holdall if your doing a few days way in the UK and still have the roof down.

I am sure one of the 35iS guys will be along to give you some detailed input but I will be looking for the same in 12 to 18 mths time as an upgrade.

OGR
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

mcbutler

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by mcbutler » Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am

Had my DCT - 35i for around 20 months now. Bought fully optioned with 24k miles, now 34k miles.

Mods-
Stage one map from celtic tuning - decat downpipes - exhaust flap mod - enlarged intercooler - oil catch can - Eibach springs (lowered 10mm) - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres - EBC grooved rear discs - DBA 42858S - 4000 series - T3 front discs - EBC red stuff part ceramic pads all round. Oh, and most importantly 'spinny wheel centre badges lol"....
Output proven on a dyno is around 390BHP and more importantly around 420 lb/ft torque.

Off the line its fast, every now and then I take on a 'wannabee' (lol) latest being an 68 plate S4 up my local on ramp to the A38 - left me grinning :-)
In full sport mode from a standing start the passenger side foot mat actually flips up and rolls back on itself.
On the bends the Eibach springs transform the car, it stays flat in the bends, very little dive on braking but noise lift on throttle is available. Michelin PS4S tyres are a must, you dont want anything less on this car.
Oil catch can is essential on any direct injection engine - mishimoto supplied mine with fitting kit.
DBS front discs and redstuff pads are a fabulous combination, extremely effective and progressive, redstuff pads are also pretty much dust free and they DONT SQUEAK.......
Decat pipes make it sound a lot better as does the exhaust flap mod, pipes added nearly 25BHP. I had to return it to Celtic afterwards as I had the map done before the decat pipes, they added nearly 25BHP.

Issues with the car are high pressure fuel pump - injectors (oil catch can helps a litttle) - coils - battery MUST be in good condition and of course the roof mechanism - although I have had two zeds and never had a problem..

Interior, iDrive a must. I have electric heated seats with memory and lumbar support - sports adjustment etc. A few rattles can occur, mainly around the roof and sun visors!!! Leather is good quality so long as you look after it.

Needs LSD - my next mod..

Mines carmine red, shows the contours and shape of the car beautifully...

Not used as a daily at all - Not the fastest straight line car or best handling (boxster better - not a lot though) but as an all round package it is sensational - hell even Jeremy Clarkson likes them.......
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 31, 2021 11:37 am

Hello and welcome

Just sold my 35iS DCT but loved it. Mine was Valencia Orange with the upgraded interior

Out the box it felt quick enough, but a remap on its own takes it up towards 400 bhp.

Mine had the adaptive suspension and brakes replaced by BMW with stock items just before I got it and I can never say I had an issue with the standard items of either but of course that could be because they were new.

As Mark mentioned I had I did have a slight brake squeal but popped the pads out and a bit of copper slip sorted this.

LSD and downpipes would probably have been my mods if I’d kept it.

The one thing that splits the camp, well one of many things on here :lol: , is the DCT/manual debate. I loved the DCT, it is a thing of joy if you use it properly and get the engine and box in the right modes to compliment each other.

I’ve a mate with a Boxter and mine was a match for it, on a couple of occasions my nerve, or his lack of, was the only difference.

I’ve had 2 E89’s and the immediate thing I noticed when I drove the 35iS was the steering felt so much better and I was told the 35iS has a different steering map to the rest of the range.

I also agree with Mark in a car like this heated seats, iDrive an absolute must at this price point.

Enjoy the search

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Marcoose

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by Marcoose » Mon May 31, 2021 4:50 pm

I’ve owned mine since early December. I love it. It’s rather a GT, heavy, pampered. There are much better sports and daily cars out there. Stock, it understeers, it has a lazy DCT, it has an uncomfortable brake pedal for LFB, and daft cup holders. But all those and other things are fixable, if you have disposable income, a loyal indy and patience. I’m very happy with mine. Next (vanity) mod is a reshaped steering wheel.
    2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 31, 2021 8:34 pm

Marcoose wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:50 pm it has a lazy DCT
    Never heard the BM DCT called lazy before (unless you get a different gearbox map over there) :thumbsup:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon May 31, 2021 8:52 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:34 pm
    Never heard the BM DCT called lazy before (unless you get a different gearbox map over there) :thumbsup:
    +1 I would definitely not describe it as lazy, seamless would be a better description of mine, as said I loved mine :thumbsup:

EDIT, one thing of note is my DCT had an oil and filter change not long before I got it while dealing with another small issue so don’t know if that would matter or not.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 31, 2021 9:11 pm

Marcoose wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:50 pm Stock, it understeers,
      Sorry Marcoose, but don't agree with that either. As a road car (which are inherently designed to understeer for safety), being RWD any understeer can be rectified, if you have the talent (which I don't).
      All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
      Mazda3 sold
      Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon May 31, 2021 9:29 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:34 pm
      I always thought the DCT was good but the auto box in the 30i was not the best
      M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
      2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

RobbiZ4

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon May 31, 2021 9:29 pm

BastiColler wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:11 am I'm looking to buy...early next year...
      Wow, what a longterm plan. :rofl:
      Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
      :ant:
      E89 Roof Maintenance
      viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
      viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Marcoose

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by Marcoose » Mon May 31, 2021 9:57 pm

Even in Sport+, downshift felt lazy in spirited drives. It took far too long to match revs and re-engage a lower gear. IMHO, YMMV. A very generous bloke’s bespoke xHP map helped.

Stock suspension, stock setting, stock RFs, same spirited drive, there was a lag between steering and turning. Even wifey, as a passenger, noticed that. She’s a bloody good driver. The mods in the sig cured that. Again, IMHO, YMMV.

I felt somewhat disappointed the E89 isn’t a sport car straight out of the box. But then, I dig where the industry, regulations, insurance, buyers, etc, have gone in the last 15 years. Hence why I call the E89 a GT.

Oh, did I say I love it? And this forum has been instrumental. (Except nobody knows how to do a Google search. Lol)
      2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

tiglon

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by tiglon » Mon May 31, 2021 11:53 pm

No point me commenting on how it drives, that's largely subjective and you can test drive one to find out for yourself. But, if you're a ten tenths, left foot braking person, it's probably not for you - mostly because all your ten tenths, left foot braking mates will tell you it's not a proper sports car.

If you want big power potential in a small convertible, there aren't very many other options at the same price.

I'd call it a grown up sports car. Enough comfort to drive to Milan for the weekend and enough power/noise/agility to enjoy a mountain pass on the way home.
      2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

ronk
      Lifer
      Lifer

Input on a Z4 E89?

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:14 pm

With the BMW offerings ie 35is/M40i - You can buy with 'sensible ish" money the best they can offer - Go down the Porsche route and I think you will always be thinking if only I'd spent another £x's
      You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
      So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: