Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warming up engine question

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sumotan

Post by sumotan » Sat May 29, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi Gents,
What's your thoughts on warming up engine everyday when you don't drive. I live in the tropics & I drive my Z only once or twice per week.
The thing is I will start the engine everyday let it idle for about 3-4 mins then I bring the rev up to about 1500 to 1700 rpm for around 4 mins then let idle for another minute or so before I shut down the engine.. My thoughts is
plainly to charge the battery but more importantly to get oil flowing all over the engine internals. I might be wrong in doing so, would like your thoughts on this..

Thanks

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sat May 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Absolutely not, max wear occurs during the first few minutes of running until its warm. Due to high cold tolerances and reduced efficiency of oils at low temps (not all)...
An engines builder would advise you to - start the engine and drive it immediately. This way it reaches operating temp quickly and wear is reduced.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sat May 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Yeah, what Mark said. Warming up engines is a legacy from our grandparents. If you drive that little –same here–, you may want to consider a battery tender.

How’s the rust problem in your region?
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

sumotan

Post by sumotan » Sat May 29, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks Gents , Rust isn't an issue at my end Marcoose so far haven't notice it. Lol

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sat May 29, 2021 2:48 pm

Great. I’ve worked for a few months in the Yucatan Peninsula –a paradise!–, and rust there was horrible.

Say, in your region, do sun visors have warning stickers? :D
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Sat May 29, 2021 4:03 pm

Definitely not. When a car is used it is good to get it properly up to temperature, but certainly doesnt need to be brought up to temp every day when you arent driving anywhere!?!

Not sure 4 minutes of idling and 4 minutes of sustained low revs will get an engine warm anyway. Normally needs a good 20 minutes of use ideally. The battery also wont likely recover the charge required to start in 8 minutes.

Id stop doing it. You're just wearing out your engine, starter motor and battery prematurely.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Sat May 29, 2021 4:31 pm

What does the manual say? Start up and drive immediately keeping revs reasonably low. mcbutler has the right idea. Idling is bad for a cold engine, bad, bad, bad. Read the effing manual. :cry: It matters not whether you live in California or Norway.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat May 29, 2021 8:37 pm

Wise advise above. :thumbsup: Fair enough, if you car is laid up a long time it's worth running the engine and rocking the car back and forth a few times once a month or so. But much more than that is just putting unnecessary wear on your engine. Many folk happily leave their Z4's several months with little more maintenance than a trickle charger. Personally I don't think that is best for the car, as things can seize up else ware. I don't think the engine itself suffers by being left for several months.

sumotan

Post by sumotan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Thank Gents, well after the advices I now make it a point to drive it at least twice a week. Lol

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:20 pm

One more advice: drive it like it’s stolen. :)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:03 pm

Marcoose wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:20 pm One more advice: drive it like it’s stolen. :)
But only after it's properly warmed up. :thumbsup:

I get lorries and camper vans over taking me when I set off onto the small duelled section of up hill, a few hundred yards from our house. I try to make up for it once the car is properly warmed through. :driving: :wink:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:36 pm

If mine is not going to reach full temperature - it doesn't get started.
When it does, it is warmed up gently - After its winter hibernation even more slowly as there are a lot of other things to get warmed up again.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

step_change

Post by step_change » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:47 am

This is what concerns me when I have to get the car out of the garage to access other things in there since because it's an auto I can't just push it back, I have to start the engine.
I try to do this as little as possible.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:41 am

I remember years ago there used to be an engine pre warming device available as an add on accessory. Mains voltage.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: