Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW ECU software updates - what’s the score?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Webless

Post by Webless » Thu May 20, 2021 6:12 am

Hi Folks,

A google here and there and it seems some folks report having general software updates (not referring to SatNav) from dealership, which include ECU and improve throttle response and steering etc

I hadn’t considered this for my 2010 35i and whilst it has full BMW service history in all these years it’s never been mentioned.

So is this actually a thing? If so, is this something I could check using my recently shiny new Foxwell and anyone know what noticeable changes the updates made?

Many Thanks
W
Z4 E89 35i M Sport - 2010
Crimson Red with Cream Leather
Fully loaded

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Thu May 20, 2021 7:05 am

hi, you need at least INPA (bmw standard tools) to check your module's sw version

I expect that if your DME's sw was never updated there's a newer version available

I can help you set up a laptop with the required sw - send me a pm if interested
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Webless

Post by Webless » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:09 pm

Ah ok thank you 🙏 I have a Foxwell 530 so maybe I can find the SW version with that. I only have a Mac unfortunately.
Fully loaded

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:24 pm

With the exception of BMW Bluetooth AFAIK to do software updates you need to use BMW tools such as INPA / ISTA etc or at a pusg Bimmergeeks Protool..all the other products clear faults (if they can) and change paramters but do not update s/w!

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:23 am

What's the improvement in steering from before to after the update? Thanks.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:05 pm

Would installing one of these updates remove an installed aftermarket map??
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:33 pm

If it's got a full BMW service history then chances are it'll have been updated at some point. They will do a full software update during any major work that requires the car to be connected to ISTA/P.

There hasn't been any major updates since 2014. For the 35i there was a big update for both the DCT and Engine in June 2013 that's worth having.

The only way to read your software version for all modules is using INPA or ISTA.
MHD can tell you the engine software revision for free if you have the required cable, if it reads "INA0S" then you have the latest DME and gearbox software and that means all modules will have been updated since June 2013.

Webless

Post by Webless » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:20 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:33 pm If it's got a full BMW service history then chances are it'll have been updated at some point. They will do a full software update during any major work that requires the car to be connected to ISTA/P.

There hasn't been any major updates since 2014. For the 35i there was a big update for both the DCT and Engine in June 2013 that's worth having.

The only way to read your software version for all modules is using INPA or ISTA.
MHD can tell you the engine software revision for free if you have the required cable, if it reads "INA0S" then you have the latest DME and gearbox software and that means all modules will have been updated since June 2013.
Ah ok thanks, I will check next time this goes in as Im keen to make sure the DCT and Engine update has actually been done. I have never seen and comment on the invoice to suggest its been looked at or updated. For my BMW GSA (bike) they always make a point and charge for it...
Fully loaded