Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cup holders?!?!?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
GRCmoto

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by GRCmoto » Tue May 18, 2021 9:11 am

The lack of cup holders in my car is becoming infuriating.

I’ve looked at sacrificing the centre console cubby space by replacing the panel with the ‘cup holder’ variant.

But reading through the forum it seems like most people hate them. They’re too shallow and due to the position, it means it’s almost impossible to drive a manual with a coffee in them.

Some people have used the aftermarket ‘clip on by the passenger knee’ solutions similar to the LHD option BMW integrated - but aesthetically they make me sad.

So what to do?

Had a look about the car to see what could be done and I recon I’ve found an option. On the shelf behind the seats there are 2 fixings points. I realise you would need to twist around a bit to pick up the cups.... but at least they would be secure while driving. (Think racing home with a drive through Maccies). I threw some CAD together and I’m getting a quote for 3D printing. See what we get.

Take a look below, am I being stupid or a genius?
Attachments
8161BF8A-3BBD-4E72-899F-7EF4AED300EA.jpeg
8161BF8A-3BBD-4E72-899F-7EF4AED300EA.jpeg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 742 times
F2B3C741-E337-4C51-AC4C-415413070E43.png
F2B3C741-E337-4C51-AC4C-415413070E43.png (139.52 KiB) Viewed 742 times
062E4658-7064-4D26-A56B-D319ED42E7D6.jpeg
062E4658-7064-4D26-A56B-D319ED42E7D6.jpeg (94.67 KiB) Viewed 742 times

Benjamin547

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by Benjamin547 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:15 am

I feel your pain... but not sure what the solution is.

Beeacon

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by Beeacon » Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 am

That is about £2 worth of PLA, and a guess at ~24hr printing. The issue may be the size of it. If it is less than 250mm long it will fit on most hobby printers, less than 500mm long will get you into the enthusiast 3D printing range.

The issue I find when reaching onto the shelf is how difficult it is to get my arm around while driving. Might be easier positioning the drinks holder just behind the passenger seat based on your range of arm movement while facing forward (so the same tool, but pushed one set of fixing points further to the right in your image).

Edit: Those fixing points hold the base rail of the netting, might be better to buy some sticky-backed velcro which will grab the carpet instead of removing the existing fixing points.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

GRCmoto

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by GRCmoto » Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 pm

Beeacon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 am That is about £2 worth of PLA, and a guess at ~24hr printing. The issue may be the size of it. If it is less than 250mm long it will fit on most hobby printers, less than 500mm long will get you into the enthusiast 3D printing range.

The issue I find when reaching onto the shelf is how difficult it is to get my arm around while driving. Might be easier positioning the drinks holder just behind the passenger seat based on your range of arm movement while facing forward (so the same tool, but pushed one set of fixing points further to the right in your image).

Edit: Those fixing points hold the base rail of the netting, might be better to buy some sticky-backed velcro which will grab the carpet instead of removing the existing fixing points.
Some great discussion points there.

Seems like you have some prior knowledge on 3D printing. At a guess what do you think is a reasonable quote? (Distance between fixing points is ~290mm so would need to be a larger printer.

It’s a good point about the reach around - plan is for best compromise on driver and passenger - and symmetry is important to me. Had a sit in the car to see how it would feel with the above proposal - it’s not too bad. I think I can live with it.

I did consider Velcro but I’ve got images of it being top heavy with larger drinks in and it toppling forward under emergency breaking. I was planning to grab some longer M6 fixings and bolt through into the trim fixing point.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue May 18, 2021 12:27 pm

If its symmetrical have them painted at 145 so will go onto a smaller printer and join them at the rear with a bracket
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Beeacon

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by Beeacon » Tue May 18, 2021 12:49 pm

GRCmoto wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 pm
Beeacon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 am That is about £2 worth of PLA, and a guess at ~24hr printing. The issue may be the size of it. If it is less than 250mm long it will fit on most hobby printers, less than 500mm long will get you into the enthusiast 3D printing range.

Seems like you have some prior knowledge on 3D printing. At a guess what do you think is a reasonable quote? (Distance between fixing points is ~290mm so would need to be a larger printer.

It’s a good point about the reach around - plan is for best compromise on driver and passenger - and symmetry is important to me. Had a sit in the car to see how it would feel with the above proposal - it’s not too bad. I think I can live with it.

I did consider Velcro but I’ve got images of it being top heavy with larger drinks in and it toppling forward under emergency breaking. I was planning to grab some longer M6 fixings and bolt through into the trim fixing point.
I have an FDM 3D printer and a resin printer that is becoming a bit of a hobby, I've not actually sold anything using it before so couldn't say how much it would cost, but if you just wanted something printing without the prototyping I can't see it costing you very much as you already have the model made (send it to the person printing in .STL format). It could be printed at an angle but would introduce more support structure which might not make for the smoothest finish, best laid flat for something like that I think, or as Ol' git says, split it into 2 parts and just have a backing plate that ties them together. Most people that are selling their 3D printing services though will have a few smaller rigs and a big one so shouldn't be much trouble to find one.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

GRCmoto

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by GRCmoto » Tue May 18, 2021 1:50 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:27 pm If its symmetrical have them painted at 145 so will go onto a smaller printer and join them at the rear with a bracket
Or could it be glued together before paint prep?

That is assuming 3D printed parts still need prep and paint? I know years ago the finish wasn’t ideal. Things might have improved these days?

GRCmoto

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by GRCmoto » Tue May 18, 2021 1:52 pm

Beeacon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:49 pm
GRCmoto wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 pm

I have an FDM 3D printer and a resin printer that is becoming a bit of a hobby, I've not actually sold anything using it before so couldn't say how much it would cost, but if you just wanted something printing without the prototyping I can't see it costing you very much as you already have the model made (send it to the person printing in .STL format). It could be printed at an angle but would introduce more support structure which might not make for the smoothest finish, best laid flat for something like that I think, or as Ol' git says, split it into 2 parts and just have a backing plate that ties them together. Most people that are selling their 3D printing services though will have a few smaller rigs and a big one so shouldn't be much trouble to find one.
I’ll let you know how the project goes. If it works I’d be happy to share the .STL

Deepseaskateboard

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Tue May 18, 2021 6:18 pm

Does this replace the net?

Looks like you could redesign the base to clip into the existing net clips, and then have new net clips above, which the net could clip back in to.

If we are talking about 3D printing though, some more ergonomic solutions come to mind:

1. Flip the LHD (American market) cup holder to RHD and print one of those, along with the attachment bracket.

2. There is some trim covering the radio, I always wondered if it may be possible to re-engineer this part to include some flip out cup holders.

3. If you have the drivers storage box, could an insert be printed which fits inside, holding a cup?

You could reduce the amount of plastic in the existing design making it more like the OEM cup holder in aesthetic.
This would reduce printing time, thus cost.

GRCmoto

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by GRCmoto » Wed May 19, 2021 7:57 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:18 pm Does this replace the net?

Looks like you could redesign the base to clip into the existing net clips, and then have new net clips above, which the net could clip back in to.

If we are talking about 3D printing though, some more ergonomic solutions come to mind:

1. Flip the LHD (American market) cup holder to RHD and print one of those, along with the attachment bracket.

2. There is some trim covering the radio, I always wondered if it may be possible to re-engineer this part to include some flip out cup holders.

3. If you have the drivers storage box, could an insert be printed which fits inside, holding a cup?

You could reduce the amount of plastic in the existing design making it more like the OEM cup holder in aesthetic.
This would reduce printing time, thus cost.
Some good suggestions there,

This won’t replace the net - it will bolt through the existing net fasteners. I just need to source some longer bolts.

1. Would involve cutting a chunk out of the centre console - I’m hoping to return it to stock of/when the car goes up for sale and a cut out in the console would deffo put buyers off. Also was hoping for a 2 cup solution.

2. Would be lovely to have a pop out cup holder in the dash - but would be way too complex. Far beyond my CAD abilities.

3. Drivers storage box? I’m assuming this comes with the optional ‘storage’ option from new? If so - no dice, my car doesn’t have it.

I’ve fettled with the design a little further to make it a little more pretty and reduced the size. The above was a first pass.

No quotes for 3D printing yet.
Attachments
7217B244-8ADC-4428-98F3-101825939996.jpeg
7217B244-8ADC-4428-98F3-101825939996.jpeg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Yoghurt

Cup holders?!?!?

Post by Yoghurt » Fri May 28, 2021 11:26 pm

Just wondered if anyone has managed to retrofit the E85 cup holder mechanism in an e89?
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!