Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Apple carplay MMI boxes and extended USB

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon May 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Even though I'm adamant that playing around with texts in a car whilst driving is a bad idea, the rise of WhatsApp by so many people instead of GSM text means that often I receive WhatsApp messages on my phone which since its stored with its protective cover over it, I'm never aware of receiving them as the message arriving sound is drowned out by the ambient cabin noise.

Also trying to read them on an iphone is clearly illegal.

However it does appear to be legal to read a text in Carplay?

So..the issue I have is that the aftermarket boxes use the 3.5mm audio feed to play audio and is generally recognised as somewhat inferior to either BMW's bluetooth or especially extended USB support.

The question therefore is 'using one of those MMI boxes' can you support WhatsApp whilst listening to audio played through extended USB?

Can you set it up so that you are using the BMW nav whilst easily being notified of incoming WhatsApp messages?

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Tue May 11, 2021 1:58 am

Not sure about when using BMW nav, but I was using Google maps recently when I received a whatsapp text and the Google assistant read it out to me. The message also appeared on the screen.
Mine is now set up wirelessly after Android upgraded to 11. I haven't tried calling or receiving whatsapp calls yet as wife and I use a different system which isn't supported.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue May 11, 2021 2:53 pm

In short, no.

You have to have the audio connection coming into the system to be able to hear it.

I had an idea while coming to work and that was to have the phone connected for Bluetooth audio while also playing on CarPlay, so you wasn't getting the sound through the aux, but that doesn't work. It might work if you had the connection to the MMI box via the cable and then you're Bluetooth audio input so you can hear your music in better quality, but my box doesn't seem to support a wired iPhone only wireless which won't work. It might work with an android phone as they do support wired.
But even then you'll still need to have the CarPlay screen showing to be able to control it, so no good with the BMW nav screen.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue May 11, 2021 5:09 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:53 pm In short, no.

You have to have the audio connection coming into the system to be able to hear it.

I had an idea while coming to work and that was to have the phone connected for Bluetooth audio while also playing on CarPlay, so you wasn't getting the sound through the aux, but that doesn't work. It might work if you had the connection to the MMI box via the cable and then you're Bluetooth audio input so you can hear your music in better quality, but my box doesn't seem to support a wired iPhone only wireless which won't work. It might work with an android phone as they do support wired.
But even then you'll still need to have the CarPlay screen showing to be able to control it, so no good with the BMW nav screen.
Dave, thanks for answering this..I suspected this was the case...maybe a G29 is the way forward... :tumbleweed: :rofl:

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 pm

That's a very expensive Android auto :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue May 11, 2021 11:49 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:52 pm However it does appear to be legal to read a text in Carplay?

So..the issue I have is that the aftermarket boxes use the 3.5mm audio feed to play audio and is generally recognised as somewhat inferior to either BMW's bluetooth or especially extended USB support.
Yes it's legal, when you receive a message be it SMS or WhatsApp CarPlay the MMI box reads it out to you and then you have the option to dictate a reply. It actually works extremely well and can be super useful on the move, if you have any important message to deal with. I use my MMI box connected to the 3.5mm audio jack but have to say I have not noticed any sound quality issues. It sounds great as confirmed by many who have heard my upgraded system.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed May 12, 2021 8:05 am

Silverstar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:49 pm
Pbondar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:52 pm However it does appear to be legal to read a text in Carplay?

Yes it's legal, when you receive a message be it SMS or WhatsApp CarPlay the MMI box reads it out to you and then you have the option to dictate a reply. It actually works extremely well and can be super useful on the move, if you have any important message to deal with. I use my MMI box connected to the 3.5mm audio jack but have to say I have not noticed any sound quality issues. It sounds great as confirmed by many who have heard my upgraded system.
Thnx all noted..

Emotionally I’m boxed in a corner as I have invested heavily in audio with artwork so for no other reason the 3.5mm / Bluetooth route does not work for me..

As an aside on my system when I used the DSP sampling software when setting up my expensive DSP amp it showed quite a lot of distortion and non flat frequency response on the 3.5mm input..

Obviously if you don’t notice it then that’s fine..

I’ll look at other WhatsApp access options if they exist.. :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed May 12, 2021 8:07 am

Roddy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 pm That's a very expensive Android auto :thumbsup:

Quite so..it’s inevitable that the older cars get left behind as technology marches on..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 12, 2021 8:17 am

Maybe I'm in a minority here (usually am :roll: ), but I actually like getting out for a drive and NOT having people pestering me, until I choose to check for messages.
Only time I ever bother is if wifey is out somewhere or likely to need me, in which case a quick glance every 5 minutes or so and pull over to call back if needed.
My Z is about the only place I can get away from them all for a while. Long may it last. :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 12, 2021 9:35 am

To the best of my knowledge there is no other option, as it stands today.

What would have been a more better option, all be it more expensive, is that they had incorporated a MOST optical connection in the boxes, then the sound could have gone through that way, same as CD Multichanger, USB, amplifier etc. But like I say this would have been a lot more expensive.

As for noticing the difference, yes I can hear it, the quality is less via the AUX. I've played the same song, from the same original source via both the USB (memory stick) and the AUX (Android Auto) and the USB version has more humph to it. Not that the AUX isn't good, and you can alter the graphic equaliser (on the MMI box) to add in more humph, but it is there.

As for my comment yesterday about playing the sound through the Bluetooth connection while having the visuals from the MMI, that doesn't work at all, no matter what you do. :thumbsdown:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed May 12, 2021 1:31 pm

Thanks everyone..

The issue has only really emerged as a second order consequence of using WhatsApp subgroups for managing a specifc run..

So if you have several people on a run and something happnes to one..he pulls over and messages the group..if you are busy driving you are not going to realise an issue until some time /miles away..

Best to call the run leader rather than text /message I think and he can decide what to do..

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Wed May 12, 2021 1:35 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:35 am To the best of my knowledge there is no other option, as it stands today.

What would have been a more better option, all be it more expensive, is that they had incorporated a MOST optical connection in the boxes, then the sound could have gone through that way, same as CD Multichanger, USB, amplifier etc. But like I say this would have been a lot more expensive.

As for noticing the difference, yes I can hear it, the quality is less via the AUX. I've played the same song, from the same original source via both the USB (memory stick) and the AUX (Android Auto) and the USB version has more humph to it. Not that the AUX isn't good, and you can alter the graphic equaliser (on the MMI box) to add in more humph, but it is there.

As for my comment yesterday about playing the sound through the Bluetooth connection while having the visuals from the MMI, that doesn't work at all, no matter what you do. :thumbsdown:
Yes the MOST bus would be perfect and in fact as you know that's exactly what its designed to do!

I wonder if there is a MOST 'junction box' out there?

I just did a test on some 'bassy' tracks and as you say its most obvious on the heavier bass biased tracks although there seems to a fair amount of compression effect and noise too? As I said as I like my display showing NAV in the main window and music with artwork in the sub window I've boxed myself in a corner..