Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Pads

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
helmik

Rear Pads

Post by helmik » Sun May 09, 2021 4:55 pm

Grinding noise from the near side, checked and the n/s/r pads worn right down. £100 later from Eurocarparts, new Brembo pads fitted, new bolts, clips etc, took about 2 hours. Watched a YouTube video from Bavarian Motorsport to see how to overcome the electric handbrake. Easy job with the right tools.
Now sat drinking wine with the girlfriend in the garden, quick Sunday morning job, once I did an 80 mile round trip to mine to get the tools I needed!! In a TT of all things.
Cheers, have fun,
Mick

helmik

Rear Pads

Post by helmik » Sun May 09, 2021 7:57 pm

Just discovered that Eurocarparts started a sale today, which would have halved the cost. Why did I get charged full price when I paid and collected on the day the sale started, even though I ordered the bits yesterday!!
Sharp practice??
Ta
Mick

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Pads

Post by flybobbie » Sun May 09, 2021 8:03 pm

They seem to have a sale everyday, they just overprice everything to start with, then end up being slightly cheaper than everyone else once discount applied.
You say brakes made noise, did you change the discs?

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Pads

Post by Nanu » Sun May 09, 2021 8:39 pm

My Indy uses them as they deliver the same day to his garage. He told me to never even consider paying their prices as they overcharge then offer them in sale but still over the odds.

He gets them cheaper as he has a business account with them.

Getting my rears done in September when it goes in for it's MOT so will let you know what he charges
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pbondar

Rear Pads

Post by Pbondar » Sun May 09, 2021 8:57 pm

Did the pad warning system not alert you to worn pads?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Pads

Post by mr.tourette » Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Also with ECP you pay full wack when you buy them in store without reserving online, I went once to pick up some oil.. checked the price online £25 quid, gets to the store and "thats £40 please" I tell them when i checked online it was £25.."yes sir you have to order online to pay that price" I'm like.. well im here now can you just sell it to me for the price advertised online.. No! :x
I go outside, order the oil for collection on my phone, walk back in" thats £25 please" madness :headbang:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Pads

Post by Nictrix » Sun May 09, 2021 9:24 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:57 pm Did the pad warning system not alert you to worn pads?
This would only work if it was the pad with the sensor that wore down.
But if all the other pads are fine then there is a problem with the caliper/pad thats worn.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

helmik

Rear Pads

Post by helmik » Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 pm

it was the near side that was worn, the wear sensor is only on the offside. Just one pad out of four was well worn, didn’t change the discs as they were ok. Stripped and cleaned the calliper so hopefully sorted it. The pads were all worn, I’ve had the car for 1 1/2 years, when the tyres were done I had a look at the pads, I think I missed the wear on that one pad.
Ive emailed ECP to ask, not holding my breath though.
Mick

SV8Predator

Rear Pads

Post by SV8Predator » Sun May 09, 2021 11:18 pm

helmik wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 pm Just one pad out of four was well worn,
helmik wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 pmThe pads were all worn
All worn? Or just one worn, can't work it out from your post. If just one, do you have a sticking caliper piston which is going to wear out the new pad?
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

warmasice

Rear Pads

Post by warmasice » Mon May 10, 2021 12:37 am

Sounds like you need to clean and lube the slider pins. Or have a sticky piston.

helmik

Rear Pads

Post by helmik » Mon May 10, 2021 8:24 am

Sorry, just one pad worn almost to the metal, pins all cleaned and greased, piston is fine so hopefully sorted it.
Mick

Jasonn

Rear Pads

Post by Jasonn » Mon May 10, 2021 8:48 am

Just checked the price I paid for my rears earlier this year £105 parts and labour from my local garage (was done at the same time as the service).

Silverstar

Rear Pads

Post by Silverstar » Mon May 10, 2021 6:32 pm

ECP seems to have changed their business model ever since Mr Singh sold it to the Americans. Before they had no nonsense low pricing the same online or in store with more discount if you were in the trade. They were ideally positioned to take over the European market but it seems that honor now goes to Autodoc, I think they missed a trick.

Right now I am getting odd lights, sometimes when I start the car I get a bong and red brake warning light saying the pads are low but it doesnt say which front or rear. If I go into the idrive and check each service item both the front the rear are showing green ok with the front over 20k kms and the rears around 1500 kms. Odd that this red warning light pops up every now and then.

Anyway I have know for some time that the rears were getting low so got some Textar pads on the shelf, will take the car to my trusty cheap mechanic next week.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Pbondar

Rear Pads

Post by Pbondar » Mon May 10, 2021 7:44 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:32 pm ECP seems to have changed their business model ever since Mr Singh sold it to the Americans. Before they had no nonsense low pricing the same online or in store with more discount if you were in the trade. They were ideally positioned to take over the European market but it seems that honor now goes to Autodoc, I think they missed a trick.

Right now I am getting odd lights, sometimes when I start the car I get a bong and red brake warning light saying the pads are low but it doesnt say which front or rear. If I go into the idrive and check each service item both the front the rear are showing green ok with the front over 20k kms and the rears around 1500 kms. Odd that this red warning light pops up every now and then.

Anyway I have know for some time that the rears were getting low so got some Textar pads on the shelf, will take the car to my trusty cheap mechanic next week.
BMW sensors work using two resistor circuits running parallel at two depths, also known as twostage sensors. As the first resistive circuit breaks, the resistance in the sensor increases. This is used to gather information such as wheel speed, brake pressure, brake disc temperature, brake operating time and mileage to estimate the life left in your brake pads. This is usually displayed in your car’s information centre or as a warning light that varies in colour as the pad wears. Once the second circuit is broken, the circuit becomes open. This triggers the warning light that lets you know that it’s time for a brake service.

Maybe you have just reached a point where the sensor is just about able to reset itself before it fully dies?

As brake pad wear sensors are designed to break or complete a circuit by contacting the brake rotor, they aren’t a reusable item. Brake pad wear sensors should be replaced with every brake pad change.

Silverstar

Rear Pads

Post by Silverstar » Tue May 11, 2021 12:22 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:44 pm Maybe you have just reached a point where the sensor is just about able to reset itself before it fully dies?

As brake pad wear sensors are designed to break or complete a circuit by contacting the brake rotor, they aren’t a reusable item. Brake pad wear sensors should be replaced with every brake pad change.
Yep this maybe the case I think and would certainly explain the lights appearing in the dash. I've got the pads sitting on the shelf, good job you reminded me about the sensor. I need to order it in and then book the car with the mechanic for next week.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red