Remap recommendations in NW England?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
jamesgarbett
Member
Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: South Manchester

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by jamesgarbett » Thu May 06, 2021 8:38 am

Want to get my N20 remapped

Don't mind a bit of a journey but would prefer not to drive hundreds of miles so looking for recommendations around Manchester, Stockport, Cheshire area

Ideally someone with a rolling road

TIA
Z4 ‘13 20i Mineral Grey
Z4 '07 2.5Si Montego Blue

User avatar
Zforbes
Member
Member
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:12 pm
Location: Ribble Valley

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by Zforbes » Thu May 06, 2021 11:07 am

A bit further north but I've used Advanced Tuning in Accrington a few years ago.

https://advanced-tuning.co.uk/

Not a Z4, an Audi A5 3.0tdi for about 3 years with no issues whatsoever.
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

gadgetJunky72
Member
Member
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:37 pm
Location: Peterborough

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:10 am

I used MHD and did it myself on my 35i. not the best option if you're looking for something more bespoke though.

jamesgarbett
Member
Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: South Manchester

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by jamesgarbett » Thu May 06, 2021 1:10 pm

Thanks both
Z4 ‘13 20i Mineral Grey
Z4 '07 2.5Si Montego Blue

User avatar
Pbondar
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3781
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am
Location: Scottish Borders

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by Pbondar » Thu May 06, 2021 2:09 pm

gadgetJunky72 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:10 am I used MHD and did it myself on my 35i. not the best option if you're looking for something more bespoke though.
MHD doesn't work on N20 versions..
2012 E89 N20 MSport Auto Atacama Yellow Fully Loaded plus some..details here.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqrmrnxmh7tq6 ... e.pdf?dl=0

blunderthumbs
Member
Member
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed May 13, 2020 2:27 pm
Location: Cheshire

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by blunderthumbs » Thu May 06, 2021 2:44 pm

https://www.unicornmotordevelopments.com/contact.html Read some great reviews about this guy. Supposed to be one of the best in the NW :thumbsup:
2004 Black Sapphire 3.0L SE. Red leather. Back box delete. Clutch valve delete. Roof motor relocated. 18" M star spoke style 193. Machine Monkey exhaust tips. Gap Tec. ZHP Gear knob. Clear side repeaters. Zun Sport lower grille.

User avatar
mr wilks
Legend
Legend
Posts: 21684
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancashire

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by mr wilks » Thu May 06, 2021 6:12 pm

Its a minefield , lots of companies to choose from & they all have good & bad reviews .
As you are particularly after rolling road i can recommend Dan at https://www.masperformance.co.uk/
He must have done 15-20 cars for myself, family & friends always great results & never any issues ( recently did my TTRS & sons RSQ3)
He's between Skipton & Keighley & he doesn't charge the silly sum's ive seen others pay ,
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters

Audi TTRS , mapped & manual :driving:

Image

User avatar
CFSD
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:59 pm
Location: Cheshire

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by CFSD » Sat May 08, 2021 1:20 pm

I had mine done at DC Remapping in Warrington. They do a full custom dyno tune at a reasonable price and the car has been great ever since.
Had it done in January 2020 and I've no issues at all.
180 to 259HP on my 2.0

https://www.dcremappinguk.com/
dyno.PNG
dyno.PNG (800.64 KiB) Viewed 345 times
mapping.PNG
mapping.PNG (601.19 KiB) Viewed 345 times

sumotan
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by sumotan » Mon May 10, 2021 2:14 am

Hi Guys,
Question pls, since the N20 is stated as the same across the board, why can it not be mapped to go 280-290hp on stage 1 instead ?

Thanks

User avatar
Pbondar
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3781
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am
Location: Scottish Borders

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by Pbondar » Mon May 10, 2021 9:04 am

sumotan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:14 am Hi Guys,
Question pls, since the N20 is stated as the same across the board, why can it not be mapped to go 280-290hp on stage 1 instead ?

Thanks
The reason why the figures vary are due to at least 3 variables..

How good the tuner is..they are not all as good as each other..and what they use for their base re-map and what they do to tweak it afterwards..

How far the owner wants to ‘push it’

Although in theory N20s in E89s are the same it turns out that electronic waste gate control ones can do better than pneumatic versions and even within that some want to ‘sing’ other don’t..
2012 E89 N20 MSport Auto Atacama Yellow Fully Loaded plus some..details here.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqrmrnxmh7tq6 ... e.pdf?dl=0

sumotan
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by sumotan » Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 am

Aaah thanks again Pete.

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4527
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 am

And to add to Pbondar's wise words of experience, it is not always the headline figure that you want.
Peter did a comparison of a few N20s that got remapped around the same time and whilst mine hit 279bhp I was slightly disappointed at the first glance at the headline torque figure (which is, after all, what you really need on a normal road drive). However, I then noted that many had higher torque figures, but took a while to climb to that, whereas mine hit peak torque at 1500rpm and maintained a perfectly level line until just over 5000rpm. Even then it only dropped slightly until 6000rpm.
For so many so called 'identical' engines to produce so many variations means it is just pot luck what you get...................... accepting of course that bespoke mapping sessions are likely to yield much better results.
So now I've got over myself regarding the big numbers and simply enjoy the seamless flow of torque pushing me along.
If I could have achieved that same torque at 250bhp I'd have been just as content.
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Valencia Orange
E85 2.5i - Sterling Grey - Better half's fun car

User avatar
Pbondar
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3781
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 am
Location: Scottish Borders

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by Pbondar » Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am

sumotan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 am Aaah thanks again Pete.
4 variables..octane rating of fuel..

If you use higher octane fuels AND the tuner knows what he is doing he can get a few extra BHP/NM that way.. :thumbsup:
2012 E89 N20 MSport Auto Atacama Yellow Fully Loaded plus some..details here.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqrmrnxmh7tq6 ... e.pdf?dl=0

sumotan
Member
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by sumotan » Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 am And to add to Pbondar's wise words of experience, it is not always the headline figure that you want.
Peter did a comparison of a few N20s that got remapped around the same time and whilst mine hit 279bhp I was slightly disappointed at the first glance at the headline torque figure (which is, after all, what you really need on a normal road drive). However, I then noted that many had higher torque figures, but took a while to climb to that, whereas mine hit peak torque at 1500rpm and maintained a perfectly level line until just over 5000rpm. Even then it only dropped slightly until 6000rpm.
For so many so called 'identical' engines to produce so many variations means it is just pot luck what you get...................... accepting of course that bespoke mapping sessions are likely to yield much better results.
So now I've got over myself regarding the big numbers and simply enjoy the seamless flow of torque pushing me along.
If I could have achieved that same torque at 250bhp I'd have been just as content.
This sounds interesting so who did the mapping pls.

Thanks

User avatar
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4527
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am
Location: Attleborough, Norfolk

Remap recommendations in NW England?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue May 11, 2021 11:38 am

sumotan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 am And to add to Pbondar's wise words of experience, it is not always the headline figure that you want.
Peter did a comparison of a few N20s that got remapped around the same time and whilst mine hit 279bhp I was slightly disappointed at the first glance at the headline torque figure (which is, after all, what you really need on a normal road drive). However, I then noted that many had higher torque figures, but took a while to climb to that, whereas mine hit peak torque at 1500rpm and maintained a perfectly level line until just over 5000rpm. Even then it only dropped slightly until 6000rpm.
For so many so called 'identical' engines to produce so many variations means it is just pot luck what you get...................... accepting of course that bespoke mapping sessions are likely to yield much better results.
So now I've got over myself regarding the big numbers and simply enjoy the seamless flow of torque pushing me along.
If I could have achieved that same torque at 250bhp I'd have been just as content.
This sounds interesting so who did the mapping pls.

Thanks
Mine was done at Lowestoft on a rolling road so not ideal for you really :D
My point was more that you may be able to find a company who will aim for torque rather than a headline bhp.
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Valencia Orange
E85 2.5i - Sterling Grey - Better half's fun car

Post Reply