Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

suspension type

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
uz4

suspension type

Post by uz4 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:23 pm

Looking to replace rear coil springs and checking out online suppliers I realise there are different coil springs for different suspensions. Standard, Sports, with or without M technology, M technology with sports suspension and so on....
Where do I find out which type of spring is the right one for my cars suspension or does it not really matter? Also does anyone have any recommendation on brand.
Thanks

Pbondar

suspension type

Post by Pbondar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:06 am

OE springs varied by model, and auto or not.

Separately there are 3 classes of springs..

Non msport..

MSport

Adaptive

Adaptive was fitted as standard to 35is only, rarely fitted elsewhere.

MSport was fitted to cars designated MSport unless it was adaptive

The rest as ‘standard’

The reason for different springs apart from spring rate is that the spring length varies per type

Some suppliers eg Supplex also adjust their spring rates by model / gearbox type others are not so fussy.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

suspension type

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 am

Having gone down this route recently I can tell you many branded springs advertised to fit DO NOT, I went through three sets listed as correct fit and they did not have the tapered ends causing horrendous clunking on compression..eventually went oe but later discovered that Suplex are pretty much the only aftermarket brand that also have the correct tapered ends... So OE or Suplex only imho and you want springs either with or without M Sport technology depending on the spec of your car
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

uz4

suspension type

Post by uz4 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks for info. Visited local parts supplier who offered me KYB brand but have reservations due to some reviews. Ignorance shining through, but should it be obvious to know if my car has M technology or not.

sw4nny

suspension type

Post by sw4nny » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:50 am

uz4 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:53 am Thanks for info. Visited local parts supplier who offered me KYB brand but have reservations due to some reviews. Ignorance shining through, but should it be obvious to know if my car has M technology or not.
There is a site that if you put your vin number in it will give you full spec from factory,sorry cant remember exactly what its called search the forum for vin check or similar,it has been discussed on here previously.and also the suplex springs are a good choice try autodoc for these they do both standard and msport
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten