Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The Man From Sytner - He Say Yes!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 am

@Mojito
According to Sytner BMW in Nottingham, they told me that they assess the problem then report back to BMW themselves for approval of the claim, so they don't make the judgement as to whether it is in warranty or not.
At the end of the day your paintwork is bubbling from under the paint, so I'm assuming the dealer you took yours to doesn't know f-all about paintwork.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu May 13, 2021 10:27 am

Mojito. Sorry to hear this and it annoys the sh*t out of me. Might it be worth asking your bodyshop if they can advise on where the corrosion has come from when they start stripping the paint and take some pictures of the affected areas once the paint has been removed? Depending how carefully they can remove the paint, you might be able to see more. I will bet there is corrosion (dust) of the aluminium under the paint. If you can get some corroborating information from the bodyshop and more detailed photos you may be able to pursue BMW with a retrospective claim. It might be worth a shot, especially as they will have a record of your complaint to date?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

obelix54

Post by obelix54 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:35 am

Based on this thread, took my 09/2009 car in to North Oxford BMW last week.

They have rung me back today to say BMW have authorised the repair but I am not getting a replacement panel, just a local repair. It is better than rejection and if I was paying for it, I would do the same.
IMG_7612.JPG
IMG_7612.JPG (114.98 KiB) Viewed 372 times
2009 BMW Z4 3.0
2014 BMW X3 (F25)
2023 Mini Electric

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Thu May 13, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks everybody for your support, much appreciated.

Dave: You're absolutely right. On first inspection my Dealer said it was a badly touched in stone chip and I had to insist that the paintshop manager came back and looked at it again. Frankly they had no interested from the word go in dealing with it.

Pondrew: I like your thinking :) A great idea and at the very least I can post some photos here showing the underlying issue. Car goes in 2nd June. I will ask them for photos and sure they will help as friendly bunch. They are authorised repairers for many makes.... but not BMW. I've got absolutely nothing to loose by following it up with BMW, although my experience so far with BMW Customer Service has not been inspiring. 30 years ago I was guest speaker on two occasions at a series of BMW Dealer Focus Meetings. The topic was "Succesfully running a business during a recession" and my emphasis was on customer service. Clearly not everyone listened or..... I was a lousy speaker :roll:

Obelix54: Pleased you went to a dealer who knew what they were about :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Wed May 19, 2021 6:43 am

Well eventually got a YES from Sytner Sheffield.
Took car in on same day as OP from examination , lot of phone calls and beginning to think would be rejected. Had to go in on Monday to pick son up and whilst waiting spoke to reception. After about 15minute advised that it was approved last Friday. Going in on Monday 24th- 3days.
Think knowing that Gwest24 had been done helped in decision but doesn't explain why it took so much longer.
Suggested to me that BMW considering customer loyalty to brand (i.e car serviced etc by BMW) which would be ok if that's what it said in the warranty. Doesn't explain delay in mine as it does have full dealer service record even although all done by previous owners
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Gwest44

Post by Gwest44 » Wed May 19, 2021 6:56 am

2k35is wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:43 am Well eventually got a YES from Sytner Sheffield.
Took car in on same day as OP from examination , lot of phone calls and beginning to think would be rejected. Had to go in on Monday to pick son up and whilst waiting spoke to reception. After about 15minute advised that it was approved last Friday. Going in on Monday 24th- 3days.
Think knowing that Gwest24 had been done helped in decision but doesn't explain why it took so much longer.
Suggested to me that BMW considering customer loyalty to brand (i.e car serviced etc by BMW) which would be ok if that's what it said in the warranty. Doesn't explain delay in mine as it does have full dealer service record even although all done by previous owners
Well done and like you say it's odd that it's taken them so long to agree the work and get it booked in. Have they agreed to provide you with a courtesy car for the period they will have yours?
Sapphire Black 23i
Previously 7xZ3's, 5xE85's, 2xE86's & 3xE89's

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Wed May 19, 2021 7:04 am

Son with me and asked if got an eight series- don't think they thought serious, but said he would pick me up so didn't try as have a E91 325d as a daily.
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible