Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Guarantee on insured warranty work

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:10 pm

My new to me E89 35i has the BMW insured warranty. When I had a pre purchase RAC inspection they identified various oil leaks - including rocker cover gasket. Printout of warranty work done on car shows this as done by dealer in June 2020. Same dealer also noted on MOT in Sept 21 advisory "oil leak not excessive rocker cover" .
Would the work in June 2020 carry the same 2 year guarantee that normal repair work done by dealer and do I have to take it back to same dealer ( not a lot of confidence when repair latest just over 15 months)
Thanks
Ken
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:24 pm

If they just changed the gasket on the rocker cover it's likely the problem is still there and they didn't fix it. The problem is that the entire rocker cover itself warps or cracks. It's a good idea to change the entire cover when replacing the gasket as it contains PCV channels which will gradually block up over time.

There is also the possibility of it being misdiagnosed. The dealer won't clean up the oil spillage from the original leak so the next person to look at it could suspect there is still a problem. Also it's possible for the PCV valve on the rear of the cover to leak in a similar way and be diagnosed as a failed rocker cover.

I don't know where you would stand if you return the car and they diagnose it as a failed rocker cover rather than a failed gasket. They could argue it's a different failure point. The only way to know is to try it, if they want money to go ahead with the work then just take it elsewhere.

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks for info R.E92 car booked in next Monday for work that wants doing. Different dealer to one that did rocker cover in June 19 but they know I'm expecting it(ever hopeful) to be done under 2 year guarantee -would be covered by insured warranty but that would mean a £250 excess to pay. Oh and because of covid no loan car available.
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pm

Hi update car still at dealers
Leaky rear o/s adaptive damper- submitted to insurance company they give the impression that it will be approved-
BUT is replacing one side only or should they be replaced in pairs?
Engine oil leak from filter housing to block. Its not a leak its sweating!!!
Sounds a load of B*llsh*t to me but if any body can educate me if this is possible be more than interested (leak confirmed by RAC and indie)
Pursue or not?
Other issue not yet diagnosed but query raised about service history( looks as if BMW dealer who sold car to previous owner someone forgot to stamp book)
Will update but missing service stamp could be a big problem and owner I bought car from now living abroad- just to get info from him re car when he purchased as approved used.
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:58 pm

Oil filter housing gasket is a common leak, i'd push them on that, no such thing as a sweating gasket, it's leaking or it's not.

Shocks should be replaced in pairs, some dealers will insist either way. I had both, first shock that went they just replaced that side, second shock they replaced both including the almost new replacement from the last visit.

The shocks are really expensive so you want to push for those, the gasket can be replaced by an indi for £150ish so not a big deal (dealer would quote much more i'm sure). I had mine done at the same time as a walnut blast for £50 as both jobs require the intake manifold to come off.

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:46 am

2k35is wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pm Other issue not yet diagnosed but query raised about service history( looks as if BMW dealer who sold car to previous owner someone forgot to stamp book)
Will update but missing service stamp could be a big problem and owner I bought car from now living abroad- just to get info from him re car when he purchased as approved used.
Update re service history. Look as if finally got this resolved but it has been a nightmare- six phone calls to selling dealer(80 miles away) message left with receptionist and no return call from first five. Persistence paid off yesterday and now taking car to selling dealer next week to get book stamped and key updated(which I'm told updates BMW central records. Idrive showed all next services due Sept 2021 Someone just didn't update service records on computer. Once all up-to-date will be back to local dealer at some stage(who have helped a lot in understanding records I have re key readings etc on car) to follow up on warranty work. Fortunate to find a lot of info on Carzana which had photos and advert on it from when car was sold as an approved used in Sept 2019 from which I found selling dealer.
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT